Mag Lite Conversion, 2 'D' Cell to 3 'C' Cell, with Luxeon Star

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag Lite Conversion, 2 \'D\' Cell to 3 \'C\' Cell, with Luxeon Star

I modified a 2 'D' cell Mag Lite to 3 'C' cells, and put a Luxeon Star LED in it. I am using 2 ohms resistance. I use 2 1 ohm resistors in series. These SMD resistors are rated at 1 watt, so they can handle the current.

Here is a link to my web page of this conversion.

Luxeon Star / 3 'C' Mag Lite Conversion

Luxeon.Mag.3C.1.jpg

grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag Lite Conversion, 2 \'D\' Cell to 3 \'C\' Cell, with Luxeon Star

EL,
Thanks for the post. I recently purchased a 3D Maglight from ebay & ordered a 2D (I believe) Brinkman from Bass Pro Shop. I've convered the 3D to 4C & it works great. Didn't even need to do any grinding on the tail cap & have had no problem with contact. Looking forward to getting the 2D. Also have a Luxeon W/O comming from ARC. Will be interested to see what I can make of all this stuff. TX

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

ElektroLumens,

Nice mod!

That red Mag is something we don't see around here. Real nice.

You should reduce the resistance some more, you should be direct driving for that "intoxicating brightness"; (to quote Lightspeed).

Sink the heat, drive hard. Road Rules......

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
ElektroLumens,

Nice mod!

That red Mag is something we don't see around here. Real nice.

You should reduce the resistance some more, you should be direct driving for that "intoxicating brightness"; (to quote Lightspeed).

Sink the heat, drive hard. Road Rules......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regarding the red, they are just there, on the Walt Mart shelves. ? They also have blue 3 'D' cells. I like the blue, but it is not available in a 2 'D' cell, as far as I've read ??

I know I can go with no resistance, but I add resistance to lengthen the battery life. With 2 ohms, it is very very bright, anyhow.

The heat sink fits up snug and tight in the Mag, which has had the anodizing ground off, so it should disipate the heat just great. It doesn't even get warm!

These new Luxeon Stars with optics are great. The new optics seem to focus just a little bit tighter beam.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

The way I'm reading this Mod, I plan on running a Lexon on 3 NiCads. This would make 3.6 V. This should be right with no resister, correct? TX

Plinko

Newly Enlightened

Wayne,

I'm planning on doing the same mod with th e2D to 3C Mag, using a luxeon emitter. Is there any particular reason that you used the Luxeon W/O vs. the bare emitter/mag reflector combination?

Cheers!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
The way I'm reading this Mod, I plan on running a Lexon on 3 NiCads. This would make 3.6 V. This should be right with no resister, correct? TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as the heat sink is good, you should be okay, otherwise, you'll fry it!

Wayne

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plinko:
Wayne,

I'm planning on doing the same mod with th e2D to 3C Mag, using a luxeon emitter. Is there any particular reason that you used the Luxeon W/O vs. the bare emitter/mag reflector combination?

Cheers!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The luxeon with optics costs me about $14 right now from ARC flashlights. A bare emitter from Future Electronics costs $11.50, and the collimator costs $5, for a total of $16.50. If you plan to use a bare emitter with a reflector, or have some optics from burned up Luxeons, than the bare emitter can save you money, otherwise, if you plan to use the collimator and the emitter, you'll be spending more.

Also, so far, the bare emitters have a funny greenish color to them, which a lot of people do not like. So I have only done a few mods with the bare emitter. If you like usefull light and don't care if the color is blue or green, the bare emitter works fine.

For the Mag Lite, the Luxeon w/o works great!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
[QB]I modified a 2 'D' cell Mag Lite to 3 'C' cells, and put a Luxeon Star LED in it. I am using 2 ohms resistance. I use 2 1 ohm resistors in series. These SMD resistors are rated at 1 watt, so they can handle the current.

This Luxeon Star converted Mag Lite is on eBay:

eBay auction of Luxeon Star Modifed Mag Lite

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've done it again! Here's another one of these 2 'D' cell Mag Lite's using 3 'C' cells, and having a Luxeon Star mounted in it. I use only 1 ohm resistance, so it is super bright!

Here's the link to eBay:

Luxeon Star / Mag Lite on eBay.

Here's a link to my modified flashlight's page:

Flashlight Modifications

grin.gif
grin.gif

grin.gif

signals

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Regarding the red, they are just there, on the Walt Mart shelves. ? They also have blue 3 'D' cells. I like the blue, but it is not available in a 2 'D' cell, as far as I've read ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI, although it is rather old, I have a blue 2D maglite sitting on my coffee table right now. It's not "rare" or something is it? ;-)

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by signals:
FYI, although it is rather old, I have a blue 2D maglite sitting on my coffee table right now. It's not "rare" or something is it? ;-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When looking at Mag Lite sources, the blue 2 'D' cell is never mentioned as an available color, only black or red. If you find a source of blue 2 'D' cells, let me know about it.

As far as I know, the 2 'D' cell is no longer available in blue, but I could be wrong about that.

Wayne

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What is the beam pattern like at 15-20"?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektrolumens,

After your posting that Target had them on sale I rushed over there and bought 5 or six of them. All 2D and one 5D. I got two aluminum, one blue, one black. There was red there too, but, I already had a red one.

They are all happily modifed with the LS/O. I am putting the different colors in them and playing around with them. All the colors are awesome.

I just took one of the LS/O and removed the optics and them removed the plastic optic holder and bolted that into the Maglight and now it is a focusable version. Got a nice tight beam out of this one. Can't wait till it gets dark to go take a walk and compare the two side by side.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

mag_lights_no_flash.jpg

mag_lights_flash.jpg

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened

hey dat2zip,

If it turns out that your mods work well, you might have an enthusiastic (local!) customer here, should you be willing to part with one or two!

/TCP

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!!
I just got your 2-D to 3-C Mag conversion and HOLY CRAP it just smokes every other LED light away!! It even blows the Trek 6000 EX60 away!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Sorry Lambda, but your Illuminator just got smoked - big time - by Elektrolumen's Mag Lite mod. And I didn't think it was even possible to get an LS to burn any brighter than the Illuminator.. boy was I wrong!!

Are you SURE you didn't sneak one of those new 5-watt Luxeons in this light saber?!?!?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!!
I just got your 2-D to 3-C Mag conversion and HOLY CRAP it just smokes every other LED light away!! It even blows the Trek 6000 EX60 away!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Sorry Lambda, but your Illuminator just got smoked - big time - by Elektrolumen's Mag Lite mod. And I didn't think it was even possible to get an LS to burn any brighter than the Illuminator.. boy was I wrong!!

Are you SURE you didn't sneak one of those new 5-watt Luxeons in this light saber?!?!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need a better name for this mod. I keep calling it, 'The Luxeon Modified 2 'D' cell to 3 'C' cell Mag Lite'. Any suggestions?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about MAG2D3C mod?
grin.gif

or just R2D3, or C3PO for short. (Like star Wars R2D2).

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, The title must be defended...

That means I'm going to have to send you the Lambda Ultra Illuminator.

Better watch your mail box telephony ..........

ultra1.jpg

Latest posts