SureFire L5!?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would this light be a good light for camping and nightwalking? Does it Have Throw? ANy comments of this light is it EDCable. THanks

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need to read this thread, it'll help.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105935

After reading this thread, I bought myself the L6. Its very similar to the L5 but with a deeper reflector for more throw and 3 cells instead of 2 for longer run times.

If you are going to be using it for camping in the wilderness, perhaps the L6 is a better bet... longer throw while providing excellent spill and about 50% longer runtime. I reckon its worth paying the extra $$$ for superior performance.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
skalomax said:
Would this light be a good light for camping and nightwalking? Does it Have Throw? ANy comments of this light is it EDCable. THanks
Horrible choice.
Way too much light, and way too short runtime for camping or walking, and too big/heavy to comfortably EDC, at least in a pocket.

redcar

Enlightened
skalomax,

You have the L6, right? In throw, spill and brightness the L6 is very similar to the L5. If you were wanting a smaller version of your L6, I say go for it. If you want something different compared to your L6, you might want something else. I agree with Owen that it is a bit bright and short on runtime if you want a good camping and walking light. If you wanted to stay in the Surefire 'camp' I would lean more towards the L2.

The L2 would be more EDCable than the L5. Some here think the L2 is way too long, to others (and me) it's just fine. The L2 has nice spread and good runtime on low. Then you always have high mode if you need it.

Redd

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was leaning towards the L5 because its a smaller version of the L6, since i already have an L6. I heard there are many better led flashlights better than surefires. Any suggestions of whats a good light with the brightness of a L6 but smaller. Thanks for the Help

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also run the KL5 on the C3 body for longer runtime.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw how the C3 with the KL5 head performed. Horrible Regulation. I would like a light with great regulation, since i alreay have the L6 for long runtime.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with an L2. The low mode will be just fine for walking around and has a very long runtime, and you can light up the forest with the high mode when you need it. Or go with an A2 if you want more throw (the A2 is a regulated incandescent).

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is a very nice light but i perfer led's. The L2 doest have very long runtime on high and the regulation falls of pretty fast. I need a bright led with some throw But more compact than my L6. Doesnt have to be surefire.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Why hasn't anybody suggested the U2 to this man??!! 40-50 hrs. of runtime in "low' with enough light to read and putter around. Variable power selection up to slightly brighter than the L5 on "high". The light replaces everything from L5 on down in function. Slightly smaller and lighter than the L5. A little large for it BUT EDCable.

Hope this helps. Thinking out loud.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
skalomax said:
The A2 is a very nice light but i perfer led's.
The A2 is nice. I like LEDs a lot, but I like my A2.
The L2 doest have very long runtime on high and the regulation falls of pretty fast. I need a bright led with some throw But more compact than my L6. Doesnt have to be surefire.
Multi level throwers:
SF Twintask 2L 3W - I heard it's good, see FLR review
CPF VB-16 - many levels, poor man's U2 (Varibrite 32L on FLR.com)
Nuwai TM115X - same throw as the others, but Lighthound has them for $25 - a real bargain with two levels.
HDS EDC U85 - Don't know numbers for it, but should be bright compared to U60.

Single level lights with some throw:
Inova T3 or X03 - nice, I prefer the clicky T3
Streamlight TL-2 LED - same performance as T3, but not HA
LEDXtreme Striker 1 Watt - see FLR and Brite-lite.com

That's about all I can think of for now. Flashlightreviews.com has reviews of all of these so you can compare numbers.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks great. I have a T3 already but the LEDlogic striker has insane throw. I dont know i just can get the L5 out my mind.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Flashdark said:
Why hasn't anybody suggested the U2 to this man??!! 40-50 hrs. of runtime in "low' with enough light to read and putter around. Variable power selection up to slightly brighter than the L5 on "high". The light replaces everything from L5 on down in function. Slightly smaller and lighter than the L5. A little large for it BUT EDCable.

Hope this helps. Thinking out loud.
What Flashdark said.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy what makes you happy! If the L5 is what you want, go get em! You can never go wrong if something you bought makes you happy...

At the end of the day, its still your hard earned $$$...

skalomax said:
Thanks great. I have a T3 already but the LEDlogic striker has insane throw. I dont know i just can get the L5 out my mind.

dmz

Enlightened
U2 is over $200 and it seems to be plagued with problems. I can't believe the amount of threads reporting problems.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
dmz said:
U2 is over $200 and it seems to be plagued with problems. I can't believe the amount of threads reporting problems.

Most of the issues are with doughnut beam and clickie problems. Since I belive the L5 has the same reflector and clickie it should be just as prone to these issues.
There has been posts on these problems with the L5 and I think fewer posted L5 problems is casued by fewer L5s in owned by CPF'ers....

For the money I'd recommend the Nuwai TM115X - same throw as the others, but Lighthound has them for $25 - a real bargain with two levels
or even better and somewhat more expensive: CPF VB-16 - many levels, poor man's U2, can use 18650 li-ions.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello skalomax:)

If you own a SF L6, I would prefer a multilux mod. in a Mag. host. That's much brighter than the SF's and you can choise between different battery configurations.

If you will stay at 123cells, take a look at the Nuwai ALX352-L.

And if you really want a L5, get it.

I wish you a decision, that makes you happy:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom