Surefire Clip Question

swatman

Newly Enlightened
I notice that the old version SF lights (such as A2) have longer clip than the current version. I don't own an SF light yet. What's the different between the long and short clips? Are SF clips suitable as belt clips or they are strictly pocket/baseball cap clips?

carrot

Flashaholic
The current A2, E2O, C2, C3 and M2 have long pocketclips. Surefire's site is not up-to-date with current pictures of all their lights. (No idea why... but you can see different versions in their pictures for each light.)

The U2 and K2 have completely different pocketclips, and I have had no experience with those. I've heard people say it's perfect for a belt clip.

All the other lights with pocketclips have short ones, and they are completely interchangeable (ask SF to send you whichever one you prefer).

I find the long clip preferable because it is springier and thus easier to clip to things. The short clip is stiffer and those who prefer it argue that it is more secure. I find that either clip will fit securely on my leather belt (about 1.5mm thick), but I usually prefer to have my lights in my pocket.

CLHC

Flashaholic
According to SF, the shorter is suitable for "thinner" fabrics such as dress shirts henceforth the SF.E2e Excecutive. The longer clip is more suited for "thicker" fabrics such as them Woolrich jackets, as is seen on the SF.E2o Outdoorsman.

IonFire

Enlightened
For my EL's, they are Hat/Pocket clips, and never would be trusted for more then that.

Not much holds them on really.

Oh, and makes a decent anti-roll device.

IF

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I have both a long and short clip for my Surefire L4 and i think the long clip helps hold the light in place better if i clip it to something. I don't use the short clip for fear it might come unclipped. Just personal preference.

swatman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking about getting an E1L for EDC. I want to clip it to my 3-4 mm thick leather belt since I don't like having objects in my jeans pocket. It doesn't sound like the E1L short clip will be very secure as a belt clip. I definitely don't want to lose my first SF light. Would Vital Gear single cell body with KL1 head be a better choice if I want to clip the light to my belt? Would Vital Gear switch be more reliable than the Z57 (been reading quite a few posts on bad defective Z57 switches)?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not use any of those clips attached to the flashlight as a "belt" clip. I think they were intended as pocket clips and I have read stories on here of people losing them after using the clip to place them on their belt.

If you'd rather wear it on your belt, I highly-recommend getting a nice leather or ballistic nylon sheath, whichever suits your style. I got a really great sheath for my knife from Lifter's Leather -- he also makes them for flashlights and flashlight / knife combinations.

JM-99

carrot

Flashaholic
swatman said:
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking about getting an E1L for EDC. I want to clip it to my 3-4 mm thick leather belt since I don't like having objects in my jeans pocket. It doesn't sound like the E1L short clip will be very secure as a belt clip. I definitely don't want to lose my first SF light. Would Vital Gear single cell body with KL1 head be a better choice if I want to clip the light to my belt? Would Vital Gear switch be more reliable than the Z57 (been reading quite a few posts on bad defective Z57 switches)?
My E1L with the short clip is very secure on my belt. It grips tightly, and I usually carry it on the side of my belt when I have other things to put in my pockets. I would go as far as to say it "feels" more secure on my belt than my A2, which has the long clip, probably because of the increased stiffness of the shorter clip. Of course, if you want to make sure it's really secure, tie a lanyard to the light and clip the lanyard to your belt (with a carabiner, perhaps).
Edit: JM's comment above makes sense. Maybe Matt (at ArtoftheHide) can make a Holester for the E1L.

My E1L tailcap failed after a month of constant usage; called Surefire and in 2 minutes, they said they were shipping out a new tailcap for me. Meanwhile, I managed to fix the tailcap on my own with the help of Beamhead. I haven't heard of any Vital Gear switch failures, but it could be because they are not nearly as popular as lights using the z57.

IonFire

Enlightened
I am suprised Cheapo hasn't responded about the VG bodies, he had a few bad clickies with this unit, i am not knocking it, just pointing out, the grass could be painted on the other side.

Anyone that uses the E1L's clip as belt clip should be diced and sliced, err i mean shown to remove the clip from the light and look to see what actually holds it in the light, not much. The forces of twisting and things catching on your belt will relieve you of your sweet little photon cannons when you least expect it.

I pack mine, with 1/4 of the light hanging out of the inside corner of my jeans right front pocket, leaving enough room inbetween it an my BM710 to fetch any change from lower in the pocket.

Also, no rub marks from keys or the like, and occasionally i do get the odd "are you happy to see me" question.

BTW, great little light the E1L, you'll like it, i have been in love with mine since it went on Li-Ions, really is guilt free lumens.(Atleast compared to MY other lights.)

IF

Dustin Liu

Banned
Music is my life.:rock:

Long clips>short clips

with the clips you can put the flashlight on your hat.:mad:

carrot

Flashaholic
IonFire said:
Anyone that uses the E1L's clip as belt clip should be diced and sliced, err i mean shown to remove the clip from the light and look to see what actually holds it in the light, not much. The forces of twisting and things catching on your belt will relieve you of your sweet little photon cannons when you least expect it.
Hey, don't be hating on the vegetables now! ;) Anyway, I do know that it's only a tiny piece of plastic that secures the clip from coming loose but I figure so long as the bezel is screwed on it won't be coming off any time soon. When I'm doing anything active, the E1L slips back into my pocket, where lights belong.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Short clips rule as they have tension. I have not had my L1 or A2 fall out of my pocket.

InfidelCastro

Banned
EVAN_TAD said:
Short clips rule as they have tension. I have not had my L1 or A2 fall out of my pocket.

I do agree they seem to have more tension. Yet everytime I've lost a Surefire it was one with a short clip. Luckily I always find them.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I broke the clip on my M2, does anyone know where I can get a spare clip? I don't think its a warranty issue as its wear and tear.

Send SureFire an email.

I'm not sure I believe that the clip somehow wore out - far more likely that it broke. I believe that contacting SureFire will begin your best way to a solution (getting a replacement)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own among other Surefire flashlights E2L AA Outdoorsman and E2DL Defender. The Outdoorsman has a long clip while the Defender has a short, like E1L. I don't know why, because a long clip will suit on the Defender as well as with Outdoorsman AA. I prefer a long clip, and think it's much more useful.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, I find their bezel up clips pretty useless and it's stopped me from buying more of their lights. They need to go to either all two way or bezel down IMO. If they at least sold different clips as accessories that would solve the problem too.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: something so simple, but yet so easily overlooked!

Send SureFire an email.

I'm not sure I believe that the clip somehow wore out - far more likely that it broke. I believe that contacting SureFire will begin your best way to a solution (getting a replacement)

Latest posts