World Cup Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I respect that soccer is futbol to most of the world. To answer your question, no , I don't care for it. The only sport I still follow with regularity is NFL football. Not much for baseball or basketball anymore, only rarely.

Not tying to offend those that love soccer. Their passion for the game is incredible.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't follow it, but I'll be interested in seeing how the Americans do, and I'll also be interested in seeing/hearing about the finals. I played soccer in high school and also in a youth league (AYSO) and do like it a lot, but I just don't follow it, or any sports, too closely. My girlfriend fills me in on tennis (she's REALLY into watching tennis, REALLY!) and we go to the big matches at the Staples Center and the Home Depot Center, but that's about as far into following sports as I go. I like to watch and play most sports, but I just don't seem to get around to getting involved in watching them.

Taylorf

Enlightened
I love soccer!!! I never watch too much on tv, although I will be watching the World Cup. I play it all the time am pretty good. My indoor team went undefeated for two seasons in a row.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world... Think like a month full of superbowls 3 times a day.

Here in Argentina for example, when our team plays, the country literally stops, no matter how big or small the company is, if you call during a game, you only will be able to speak to the receptionists, no meetings, no deadlines nothing, just football on the TV.

Even schools stop for viewing/listening the game.

BTW, I already have a TV in my office :D

Vamos Argentina Carajooooo!!! (a cheer :ohgeez: :))

Pablo

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Well, the Dutch team are going, and it's in Germany, so it's big here. Plenty of history (1974; 1988). Don't think we're getting past the quarter finals, though. If you're going to watch it on TV: just look for the crowd in the most ridiculous orange outfits; that'll be our pride of the nation, LOL.

Kees

tygger

Enlightened
the dutch have usually had one of the most talented teams in the world with some of the best players EVER ( johan cruyff, marco van basten) it is true that they have difficulty playing together for the world cup, but they are always a good team. i say czech republic has a very good chance to win this world cup. unfortunately the US is in a very difficult bracket with teams that are fast, powerful, and can score lots of goals (Ghana, Czech Republic, Italy (with the exception of italy, they usually score only 1 or 2 goals on a counterattack) but in the world cup anything can happen.

schrenz

Enlightened
PEU said:
You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world... Think like a month full of superbowls 3 times a day.

Pablo
The Argentino is right, most of you can't imagine, it's like Olympics, superbowl,Indy500 etc and that six weeks, all day!

To the Netherlands: You know what Garry Linnecker said?:whistle:

Greets from the Football-country (and not soccer!!!:grin2: )

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taylorf said:
I love soccer!!! I never watch too much on tv, although I will be watching the World Cup. I play it all the time am pretty good. My indoor team went undefeated for two seasons in a row.

I don't doubt that you are pretty good. I've seen indoor soccer, and it's intense. It's like up close Brazilian style short game, the whole way through.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do. I was involved with a couple of the venues during the 1994 World Cup games in the U.S. Probably more along the magnitude of the Olympic games, except that it's all FIFA football. Lots of fans, tons of security with a whole bunch of federal, state, and local agencies involved, and private security people as well. Sponsors are all over the place with tons of giveaways. And like the Olympics, one of the most popular pasttimes is pin trading :)

PEU said:
You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world...

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
PEU said:

Here in Argentina for example, when our team plays, the country literally stops, no matter how big or small the company is, if you call during a game, you only will be able to speak to the receptionists, no meetings, no deadlines nothing, just football on the TV.

Even schools stop for viewing/listening the game.

BTW, I already have a TV in my office :D

Vamos Argentina Carajooooo!!! (a cheer :ohgeez: :))

Pablo

Viva Argentina. They're one of my favorite teams in the World Cup.

Topper

Flashaholic*
My son is. Eric is 15 he started playing at 5 and loves it. The high school he goes to had a Soccer team for the first time and he was the only freshman to start EVERY game and play the intire game (unless he wants a break) The first and ONLY freshman to score a goal and scored the first goal by a Netteton Raider. He scored 3 goals in the season (not bad for a "sweeper")
He is pretty happy about it as those are records that cannot be beat, he was first.
I am taking off tomorrow just to record Arsenal vs Barcelona for him (did I point out he is my only kid?) He has backed off other things :touche:
to play Soccer. A good call as momma bear is not much on fighting sports.
Topper :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Yep we might be a little behind but if my son and his pals keep the "Love"
then watch out world. We be coming.
Eric has a PS2 game that he can play/manage/own. Half the time he is trading or buying a guy for his team. He works up game plans for the team (school team) and is real big on "one touch" (not sure what that means) he keeps up with players in real time and I think he can name most players on most teams. He helps out with younger players as some Coaches call him and will pick him up and bring him home just so he can help with the kids.
I have no clue why Eric thinks the Arsenal vs Barcelona game is important.
I do know a few of his pals want to borrow the tape after Eric is done with it.
I have had Coaches ask if they could take him to tournaments out of town and out of state, I always say NO as Eric was not on their team and that to me would make him a "ringer" and that is not an option.
I guess by now you figured out I love my kid? He is dumb as dirt if you want him to do anything to help around the house.
He does have fast hands and enough muscle to make it count but lacks that
"killer instinct" unless he is playing Soccer.
Topper :)

FredericoFreire

Enlightened
I really don't care about soccer.

But when is world cup time, I like to watch the games and drink some beer.

I really think that the brazilian team will be the champion. Wait and see.

GO BRAZIL!!!

barnabe

Newly Enlightened
Gary Linecker said :
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.":whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.