Klarus        
Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer

Default World Cup Soccer

Does anyone care ?
    The World Cup is just around the corner.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: World Cup Soccer

I respect that soccer is futbol to most of the world. To answer your question, no , I don't care for it. The only sport I still follow with regularity is NFL football. Not much for baseball or basketball anymore, only rarely.

Not tying to offend those that love soccer. Their passion for the game is incredible.
    I'm not getting worse; I'm getting brighter!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74 Tekna Mono Lith
    Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
    LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, several small Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chameleon, Titanium Chameleon, Orb Raw NS.

I don't follow it, but I'll be interested in seeing how the Americans do, and I'll also be interested in seeing/hearing about the finals. I played soccer in high school and also in a youth league (AYSO) and do like it a lot, but I just don't follow it, or any sports, too closely. My girlfriend fills me in on tennis (she's REALLY into watching tennis, REALLY!) and we go to the big matches at the Staples Center and the Home Depot Center, but that's about as far into following sports as I go. I like to watch and play most sports, but I just don't seem to get around to getting involved in watching them.

I love soccer!!! I never watch too much on tv, although I will be watching the World Cup. I play it all the time am pretty good. My indoor team went undefeated for two seasons in a row.
    My small collection: Surefire 8ax, Orb Raw, Costco 10 million and 15 million, Streamlight Ultrastinger, and the Exolion

You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world... Think like a month full of superbowls 3 times a day.

Here in Argentina for example, when our team plays, the country literally stops, no matter how big or small the company is, if you call during a game, you only will be able to speak to the receptionists, no meetings, no deadlines nothing, just football on the TV.

Even schools stop for viewing/listening the game.

BTW, I already have a TV in my office

Vamos Argentina Carajooooo!!! (a cheer )

Pablo

The Netherlands - one foot below sea level

Well, the Dutch team are going, and it's in Germany, so it's big here. Plenty of history (1974; 1988). Don't think we're getting past the quarter finals, though. If you're going to watch it on TV: just look for the crowd in the most ridiculous orange outfits; that'll be our pride of the nation, LOL.

Kees
    The only light that counts, is the light you have with you.

Flashaholic*

the dutch have usually had one of the most talented teams in the world with some of the best players EVER ( johan cruyff, marco van basten) it is true that they have difficulty playing together for the world cup, but they are always a good team. i say czech republic has a very good chance to win this world cup. unfortunately the US is in a very difficult bracket with teams that are fast, powerful, and can score lots of goals (Ghana, Czech Republic, Italy (with the exception of italy, they usually score only 1 or 2 goals on a counterattack) but in the world cup anything can happen.
    Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PEU
    You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world... Think like a month full of superbowls 3 times a day.

Pablo
    The Argentino is right, most of you can't imagine, it's like Olympics, superbowl,Indy500 etc and that six weeks, all day!

To the Netherlands: You know what Garry Linnecker said?

Greets from the Football-country (and not soccer!!! )
    Sureholic ===<|
    "mehr Licht" (J.W.v.Goethe 1832)
    "more light"

No, what did he say?

Kees

Quote Originally Posted by Taylorf
    I love soccer!!! I never watch too much on tv, although I will be watching the World Cup. I play it all the time am pretty good. My indoor team went undefeated for two seasons in a row.
    I don't doubt that you are pretty good. I've seen indoor soccer, and it's intense. It's like up close Brazilian style short game, the whole way through.
    Last edited by Trashman; 05-16-2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: whoops, forgot a word!

Flashaholic*

I do. I was involved with a couple of the venues during the 1994 World Cup games in the U.S. Probably more along the magnitude of the Olympic games, except that it's all FIFA football. Lots of fans, tons of security with a whole bunch of federal, state, and local agencies involved, and private security people as well. Sponsors are all over the place with tons of giveaways. And like the Olympics, one of the most popular pasttimes is pin trading

You guys don't have an idea on how relevant is Soccer World Cup in the rest of the world...

I really don't follow it, but LOVE to watch a good game!!
    -"Must control self"-

Here in Argentina for example, when our team plays, the country literally stops, no matter how big or small the company is, if you call during a game, you only will be able to speak to the receptionists, no meetings, no deadlines nothing, just football on the TV.

Even schools stop for viewing/listening the game.

BTW, I already have a TV in my office

Vamos Argentina Carajooooo!!! (a cheer )

Pablo

Viva Argentina. They're one of my favorite teams in the World Cup.

Flashaholic*

My son is. Eric is 15 he started playing at 5 and loves it. The high school he goes to had a Soccer team for the first time and he was the only freshman to start EVERY game and play the intire game (unless he wants a break) The first and ONLY freshman to score a goal and scored the first goal by a Netteton Raider. He scored 3 goals in the season (not bad for a "sweeper")
    He is pretty happy about it as those are records that cannot be beat, he was first.
    I am taking off tomorrow just to record Arsenal vs Barcelona for him (did I point out he is my only kid?) He has backed off other things
    to play Soccer. A good call as momma bear is not much on fighting sports.
    Topper

That really amazes me, deep in the South someone will be watching Arsenal vs Barcelona.

Flashaholic*

Yep we might be a little behind but if my son and his pals keep the "Love"
    then watch out world. We be coming.
    Eric has a PS2 game that he can play/manage/own. Half the time he is trading or buying a guy for his team. He works up game plans for the team (school team) and is real big on "one touch" (not sure what that means) he keeps up with players in real time and I think he can name most players on most teams. He helps out with younger players as some Coaches call him and will pick him up and bring him home just so he can help with the kids.
    I have no clue why Eric thinks the Arsenal vs Barcelona game is important.
    I do know a few of his pals want to borrow the tape after Eric is done with it.
    I have had Coaches ask if they could take him to tournaments out of town and out of state, I always say NO as Eric was not on their team and that to me would make him a "ringer" and that is not an option.
    I guess by now you figured out I love my kid? He is dumb as dirt if you want him to do anything to help around the house.
    He does have fast hands and enough muscle to make it count but lacks that
    "killer instinct" unless he is playing Soccer.
    Topper

I really don't care about soccer.

But when is world cup time, I like to watch the games and drink some beer.

I really think that the brazilian team will be the champion. Wait and see.

GO BRAZIL!!!
    Fred

I can't believe, that you come from Brazil
    Sureholic ===<|
    "more light"

schrenz,

yes,yes, but what did Garry Linnecker say?

Kees

Gary Linecker said :
    "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."

Quote Originally Posted by barnabe
    Gary Linecker said :
    "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
    Not a chance, Brazil will whoop everybody's pattotie this time. (I go with Brazil just to p**s off all of my Argentian friends, and tell the Brazilians I root for Argentina)

I really don't care much about fútbol, but I'll be cheering for Costa Rica this time. Maybe they'll get to the second round again. Like PEU, said, the whole country stops and holds its breath for 90+ minutes.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by barnabe
    Gary Linecker said :
    truly the words of a wise man

I´m usually not a soccer fan, but every 4 years (2 years if you count the euro championship too) I make an exception ...

After seeing ronaldinho play earlier today the UEFA champions league final, im not sure about Brazil... What a crappy game Barcelona played, even after they won, they played like newbies during the 1st 75mins of the game, scored twice and kept playing like crap. Maybe is because the Argentino Lionel Messi did not played for them due to an injury...

Again, VAAAMOS ARGENTINA CARAJOOOOOO

Pablo
    PS: greenled cheering for Brazil... OMG... The horror, the horror

wow peu like sooocer more then vi like football .good luck to ya team peu .ill try to find it on tv
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

i would be a little worried PEU. argentina has an unpredictable group. especially since Van Basten brought on lots of younger Ajax players. and there's always van nistelrooy (even though he's can be unpredictable). and never underestimate african teams (most of those guys play in europe during regular season). thats whats great about the world cup, you just never know.
    Keep it simple.

Van Basten is about the only dutchman who didn't think Huntelaar should go.
    The Netherlands are the country of 16 million football union coaches.
    What he seems to have achieved is a far better spirit in the team, which I think is even more important than individual qualities, especially when things don't work out so well in the beginning. This has mostly been the case in recent tournaments.

Kees

Thats correct, even with world class top players in our team, you never know... last world cup we were off in the 1st round I still can't digest that fact...

We're on the same group with the Dutch, Costa de Marfil and Serbia-Montenegro, if I have to choose the most feared rival, I would say... Costa de Marfil

The other day we knew our team list, its impressive, my bet is that we reach semifinals to say the least, but I would really love a final between Argentina & Brasil.

Pablo
    Last edited by PEU; 05-18-2006 at 09:50 AM.

If Argentina used green uniforms, I'd root for them

...esta barra no se deja... no se deja...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch
    The Netherlands are the country of 16 million football union coaches.

Kees
    I know that, Germany has about 80million National-Coaches
    Excuse me, that I have forgotten to explain Linneckers sentence, I hope he still is right (but don't really believe ). We can live with everyone as world champion, except one team .
    Greets Jens
    Sureholic ===<|
    "more light"

Another argentinian here so we are now a mass of crazy argentinians rooting for Argentina in CPF (if 2 is a mass)

I'm both a soccer and football hyper-mega-fanatic, I call the period when there is no NFL and no local soccer "The dark ages" since basically nothing can be done to keep the adenalyne levels that you need for normal living.
    I'm a huuuuuge Green Bay Packers fan and huge Boca Jrs (recent champions here) fan.

About the World cup my boss has decided to send me to Lithuania for business in the middle of the World Cup I was close to just quit but suddenly I noticed my trip has a stop in Frankfurt, if you get news about a CPF member kidnapped in Germany or missing don't be scared it is me and I'm watching a WC match my family has been notified on my upcoming kidnapping incident.

We are going with a handicupped team this year, goalkeeper has no hands, our best striker can't make a goal in the arc of triumph and some of our best players have been just "forgotten" by our coach. We'll see what happens.

"Vamos vamos Argentinaaaaaaaaaa....."

Luigi

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast