Plans for the 5W LS ? Lambda? E-L?

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Guys,

My Lambda Illuminator arrives tomorrow and I'm already thinking about the 5W LS chip in a 3D cell MAG with a Lambda-type switchmode converter.

I suspect that the overall peak light output may be more important than the rms or average light output. Therefore, a pulse-driven overdrive circuit like I assume is in the Illuminator should get the most out of the device. If you maintain the average power input to 5W, but with peaks exceeding that don't you solve the cooling problems a bit while getting more light out?

It would be great to see what could be done with this. I'd consider buying one!

If we had an average power input of 5W, we should still get 10 hours or so out of a set of 3 D cells allowing for converter losses.

Since we all know the discharge curve of alkalines, the regulator/driver circuit is important. I am pretty sure I'd prefer this approach to the direct drive approach, the Electro-Lumen's 1W overdrive AND Lambda's secret new toy are both very exciting.

Cheers,

Richard

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
wink.gif
You sure put a lot of faith in Mr. Post Man (be there tomarrow)!

Since I'll be releasing Illuminator kits, here's a snipit from instructions I'm puting together (remember, it's a work in progress):

The Illuminator Integrated Circuit requires no adjustments, or "tuning" of the circuit, and requires only an external coil to operate when used with a 3V - 4.5V input voltage. The circuit uses pulse shaping technology and thermal feedback control to provide exceptional brightness, and thermal monitoring when driving a Luxeon LED in small form factor flashlights and devices. When used in small devices it is important that the IC have a low thermal resistance path to the Luxeon LED so that it can monitor and control the output voltage should the Luxeon become too hot during operation. Indication of extreme thermal limiting control of the output is noticeable as a strobe, or visible pulsing of the LED during operation.

I don't know myself which I prefer in the big flashlight; direct drive has very long battery life, and hours and hours of nightlight mode. But the Illuminator circuit provides for a brighter light output, yet shorter run time.

I guess I'm lucky that I have both, so I don't have to decide right away........

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
wink.gif
...direct drive has very long battery life, and hours and hours of nightlight mode. But the Illuminator circuit provides for a brighter light output, yet shorter run time...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The heck with longer run time, I say! They can always make more batteries!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big vs small.

A "Big" light would be great for keeping in the car, or on a week long camping trip, or any other place where you might need lots of light for extended periods of time. I personally like the 3-D Mag-Lights for doing arobic exercising (walking) at night. It provides weight and is also functional.

However, given the same brightness, I think smaller is better.

Last night I was walking my dog, and I ran into a neighbor, and he showed me litterly miles and miles of dirt roads, with no lights or people or any sign of civilation right in back of my house!(this was soo cool).

We walked for 2.5 hours, and it got dark before we made it back to his pickup truck.

Now I had my Lambda Illuminator with me, and I almost didn't bring it, because I wanted to get back home to wash my Truck. I figured that I had 1.5 maybe 2 hours of light left, but I grabbed it anyway, as it is my prized light (and after all, I am a card carrying flashoholic, right!) and I was sure glad I had it.

Not only to show it off, but because it got dark, really dark!

Just to finish the story, I did not have my Legend LX with me, and I was sorry that I did not. It just proved to me how well incancdesents and LED's can compliment each other. My Lambda Illuminator was just AWSOME for lighting up 50-100 feet around us. Nice, even, very bright, clean, pure white light. And "Non offensive" either, meaning that it wasn't glaring, or hurting your "night vision". However, when my dog "hooked on to a scent", and ran down the dirt road and into some tall grass, she was just too far away for the Lambda Illuminator to light up what she was doing. This is where the Legend LX would have come in handy.

So in summary, I think that there are times when you want a big flashlight, but for most people, even for those who use flashlights daily, given the choice between a 3-D cell light and a 2 (or even 3) cell AA cell light, I would take the smaller light. AA batteries are cheap, and if you buy them right, they can be ultra cheap.

rlhess

Enlightened
That is a very valid point.

So do we come full circle? If we have a 5W LS in a 2-AA we can only use the peak output for a short time. This means it becomes a true "flash" light again where you have the pushbutton to save power.

This is definitely a good design idea, however. The 2AA (I think 3AA is too long for edc) Brinkmann with a 5W LS, but you need another switch mode.

Ideally, we would need three modes for AA batteries
Normal bright (like the Lambda Illuminator--can't wait for the mailman today) then a dim, "battery saver" mode that would provide say 10-12 hours of light and also a "my dog's in the grass what is she doing mode" which would be say >4x the brightness of the Illuminator but would drain the batteries in say 30 minutes. This should be a momentary boost like the "power surge" on some vacuum cleaners.

I still like the idea of a 5W LS 3D Mag for bedside and car...with at least two tradeoffs between brightness and cell life.

Looking for even a better edc light is an interesting twist.

I have had this problem with camera lenses. Large lenses are "decision lenses" "Will I need this lens on this trip." Smaller lenses just come with you.

Cheers,

Richard

signals

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:
This is definitely a good design idea, however. The 2AA (I think 3AA is too long for edc) Brinkmann with a 5W LS, but you need another switch mode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about an Energizer 4AA DB? That doesn't necessarily seem much larger than a 2AA flashlight, at least it wouldn't be any longer, but you'd get 3 volts for the step-up converter just the same as a 2AA, and twice the capacity.

-Kevin