Mounting Flashlights on Bikes

Essayons

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my forst bike in a long time. I want to be able to mount my Surefires or ARC LSH-P on the handlebars. I was hoping there was a good solution on the market, but I'm not finding it. The NiteIze strap and rubber block thingie don't interest me. I want a solid, quick detachable mount.

Darell'ss got a Surefire X200 weaponlight mounted on a Picatinny rail that is bolted to a QD handlebar mount. THAT looks perfect and I have emailed him about it. I plan to use a 1" quick detachable ("QD") rifle scope ring to mount the light to the rail. Has anyone else, besides Darell, done anything like this?

BTW, I don't want to mount dedicated bike lights. One of the Smoke's selling points is the price, which is low enough that it won't be the end of the world if it gets stolen. I don't want to permanently attach a lot of thing$ to it.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
The twofish cyclopblock is a sturdy velcro and rubber block combo. I smacked into a tunnel wall on my mountain bike and my flashlight didn't budge (unlike my shoulder). But if you are against velcro and rubber blocks on principle, then the answer depends on what you have laying around, how picky you are about the how the result looks, and how much time and money you are willing to spend. If you have rifle scope parts sitting around that interface with your bicycle handlebar to form a sturdy and convenient quick release, you could have one of the coolest and most over-engineered bike light mounts around. But that's a big if. If you don't care much about the looks, then cable ties, nylon pipe hanger straps, and/or conduit brackets might work, particularly if you can put your hands on a scrap bike bracket or mount that gives you the quick release function you are looking for, or in concert with your front reflector bracket. The best mount I have had so far I made by unmounting the sliding part from an old bike light and strapping that to my flashlight. BTW I've had a small pump velcro'd to my frame for more than three years of mountain biking, and it hasn't moved once.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Redjam said; nothing beats Twofish Lockblocks (the cheaper version of the Cyclops) for "solid, quick, detachable mount". Look for the group buy I did on these; that thread has pics and evaluations.

Also, look for a recent thread about a Tri-Lux bike; there was a neat attachment shown there (with link to the vendor).