Fenix question

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
:help:

I have a Fenix L1P that hasn't been used much and already needed a new battery. I put a new (regular AA) battery in it and now it seems very dull again. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Light going bad or a bad batch of batteries or something? I put an AA battery in my Maxlite from the same batch and it seems fine. Should I try an AA lithium in it? Help, thanks.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
:help:

I have a Fenix L1P that hasn't been used much and already needed a new battery. I put a new (regular AA) battery in it and now it seems very dull again. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Light going bad or a bad batch of batteries or something? I put an AA battery in my Maxlite from the same batch and it seems fine. Should I try an AA lithium in it? Help, thanks.
Hi Choc,

what do you mean with "regular AA"?

Ordinary zinc-carbon "Heavy duty" batteries can´t deliver enough current for a luxeon-flashlight.

Your fenix should run fine on alkalines or NiMh rechargeables, lithium is not necessary.

Seth

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seth said:
Hi Choc,

what do you mean with "regular AA"?

Ordinary zinc-carbon "Heavy duty" batteries can´t deliver enough current for a luxeon-flashlight.

Your fenix should run fine on alkalines or NiMh rechargeables, lithium is not necessary.

Seth

Hi, it's just a Duracell AA battery.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Ive read that sometimes theres grease on the contacts, so you might try wiping those down.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Choc:)

And take a look inside the tailcap. Be sure, that the aluminium ring with the 2little holes is fixed. If not, turn it to the right until it's fixed.

And clean the contacts with a contactcleaner.

Best regards

_____
Tom

savumaki

Enlightened
You will be amazed at the difference lithium makes; I've used nothing but since I got one of the first L1P.

Karl

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on Karl's statement.

The Lithium almost seems to turn the L1P into a fully regulated light. Bright, and even, for a long time.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK said:
Ditto on Karl's statement.

The Lithium almost seems to turn the L1P into a fully regulated light. Bright, and even, for a long time.
I agree too, pop an alkaline and lithium in a few times back-to-back, you should be able to see. Though now I use a ni-mh, and lithium as the spare.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick the 'dull' battery in the flashlight and make contact with the -ve of the battery and the body. If the flashlight lights up brightly as it should, your tailcap is the problem.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
make sure the head and tail are screwed on tightly, they make the path. Loosen and retighten and reseat the switch inside the tail if that doesn't work. Just unscrew it and screw it back in tightly.

I'm not sure how much power the L1P drives through the LED, but if we assume 1W and 75% booster converter efficiency, its around 1.33W draw. Since battery voltage sags under load, you're probably going to be pulling an amp or more.

Alkaline batteries just do not do well at this much current level. You can use the Energizer E91 lithium or NiMH/NiCd rechargeable batteries. Either are suited for this level of drain.

*Retired*
Handlobraesing said:
I'm not sure how much power the L1P drives through the LED, but if we assume 1W and 75% booster converter efficiency, its around 1.33W draw. Since battery voltage sags under load, you're probably going to be pulling an amp or more.

Alkaline batteries just do not do well at this much current level. You can use the Energizer E91 lithium or NiMH/NiCd rechargeable batteries. Either are suited for this level of drain.

It falls far short of delivering 1W to the luxeon, and I do believe your efficiency is very optimistic...

fenix.png