Wuben        

Thread: On converting Maglites to LED mode

Flashaholic

Default On converting Maglites to LED mode

I was thinking about trying to modify my AAA and AA Maglites for sanity maintenance while job-hunting when I came across thelightsite on the candlepowerforums.com.

Having more time, less money, and not much in the way of equipment (until I snag another job), can a mere mortal really and truly convert a Mag-Lite Solitaire and a double-AA Mini Maglite to LED mode without tearing out his hair?

Be honest now. I like my Maglites and don't want to destroy them needlessly.

Default Re: On converting Maglites to LED mode

Craig,

do some search on the forum - almost zillion possibilities - easiest would be a tiny 12V remote controll battery in a solitaire with some resistor driving one 5mm or 3mm Nichia LED - for the AA mag use either 2 Lithium AA´s or 3N cells or 3 2/3AA NiMhs cells to driev one LED - as I already posted - this forum is so full of useful hints and how-to´s and links to forum members sites you can spent some quality time and research this in-depth without hassle. The SEARCH function of the forum works well for this and related tasks.

Klaus

Several solitaire mods on the Mods pages of my site - lots of other ideas as well - click the picture below to go there.

Flashaholic*

There are several commercial LED bulb replacements for minimag torches. I'm pretty sure that the LED museum has reviewed some.

I have had very good luck with the Minimag 2 AA running a 5mm white LED on 2 N and 1 AAA cells. Just open up the hole in the reflector to fit the LED, shorten and thin the leads as needed and plug it right in like a normal bulb. Works like a champ!

Flashaholic

Mini-Mag, 3 N's, 5,600 Nichia White LED. Polish off the reflector and widen the hole a bit. Easy as 1-2-4.