Old dogs/New tricks

Greta

Flashaholic
There was a thread here in the Cafe awhile ago regarding learning new skills and taking on new careers for those of us who can no longer be considered "young pups" and/or those who for other reasons (health, attrition, etc.) can no longer continue with current career paths. I thought I'd share what has happened to me recently and how it really IS possible to teach old dogs new tricks... and you never know what those new tricks will turn out to be!

At my 20th high school reunion (6 years ago), I was proud of myself because I was a successful business owner (travel agency) and doing well. I hated the job... inherited the business from inlaws... but at least it was successful. After September 11th, 2001 business wasn't so good so I made the decision to close the agency and become a lady of leisure. That lasted about 10 months. Then I went to KMart to be a part-time cashier for the holidays... just to get out of the house and get some mad money in my pockets. 4 months later, I was working as a cashier in the pharmacy. 5 months after that, I was moved to the back and training to be a pharmacy technician. And 2 months after that, I got my certification and license and I WAS a pharmacy techinician!

I did that for about a year and then the veneer wore off. Not with the job itself... I loved the job!... but the politics and personalities of the "office" really ruined it for me. I just couldn't deal with it and going to work actually became work. So I began a home study program in Crime Scene Investigation and just 4 months ago, I submitted a volunteer packet with the local police department to be an evidence technician... (running the evidence room, working crime scenes, processing evidence, etc.). The volunteer program at our PD takes alot to get into... background investigation, polygraph, etc. So I haven't started there yet.

As it turns out... I won't be going there after all. Just two months ago, a very unusual opportunity came along. My husband was offered a job as a death investigator with the soon to be new Medical Examiner for our county. We both met with her and I realized that I could be of service to her as "office staff". So being the forward (not shy
redface.gif
) individual that I am, I approached her and told her what I could do for her. She hired me on the spot.

So today... at 44 years old... I am employed at The Office of the Medical Examiner for Mohave County, Arizona. I am the custodian of records/office staff/investigator/body snatcher/forensic tech/crypt keeper. Since last Friday, I have attended/assisted in 3 autopsies, gone to 1 scene for recovery, and set up our "office" for business. We're still waiting on the coolers and the construction of our surgical theater... (those things take time and lots of money!)... but we are administratively operational and are doing autopsies in the prep rooms of the local funeral homes. And... yes, my husband quit his job at the police department and is one of our death investigators/body snatchers.

Guys... if anyone had told me 3 months ago that I would be doing this today, I'd have told them they were nuts. No way in hell would I be working at the morgue and assisting in autopsies!
ooo.gif
I'd have been like most of you are right now...
eeew.gif
NOT!!!

But life can be kinda strange... and the higher powers often have different plans for us than we can even begin to imagine. Who are we to question?

Old dogs indeed CAN learn new tricks. And sometimes, they are tricks that we never even imagined we would ever be capable of or that would be within our reach. Opportunity rarely gets dropped right in our laps. It really IS up to each of us to recognize opportunities when they drift by in our direction and to reach out and grab them. There's no room for "shyness" when it comes to doing what you want to do. My mom always told me that I could do and be whatever I wanted. Turns out that she was right!
biggrin.gif

And speaking of "young pups"... I lost one of my bulldogs last month to kidney failure. It really hit me very hard... harder than any others. I miss my Greta very much. I know she can never be replaced... but it did help for me to go get another little girl... her name is Wilamina... we call her Mina (Meenuh)...
biggrin.gif

Mina.jpg

MoonRise

Enlightened
Congratulations on the new career path! Best wishes.

And condolances on the loss of your Greta. They aren't 'just' a pet, they really are part of your life and family.

sniper

Enlightened
Kay Scarpetta, Move over!

Success in your new enterprise. :twothumbs:

greenLED

Flashaholic
YEAH!! Congratulations, Sasha! That sounds like an incredibly interesting career change for you and your husband. My very best wished for both of you.

Greta

Flashaholic
sniper said:
Kay Scarpetta, Move over!

Success in your new enterprise. :twothumbs:

:lolsign: ... that's what I call my boss... Kay Scarpetta. She laughs because she has actually met Patricia Cornwell and been a consultant on a couple of her novels... :D

I call my husband "Marino"... :grin2:

I'm just "Rose"... :sigh: ;)

Greta

Flashaholic
sniper said:
Does he have a tricked-out Harley?

Used to... ;) ... Now he just has a beautiful silver Titan... with enough room in the back for two "customers"... :eek:oo:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing Shasha. Sorry about Greta. With all the crime investigation on TV being a hit, (no pun intended) that icky job is actually glamorous right now :)

I expect we'll be hearing some new stories from you on CPF. :)

Good luck!

carrot

Flashaholic
Sweet new career path. I used to be interested in being a coroner, but then I watched CSI and decided there might be times when I'd rather not... Enjoy your new job; sounds like it'll be a lot more stimulating than being a cashier or travel agent.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Congrats on the new job, on seizing the moment and the new puppy. My mom always said tomorrow is a new day.

I lost my dog to kidney failure (cause unkown) in Feb. '04, so maybe there's some common ground on that. He was only four years old. It hurt (still does) but I would do it all over again, it was precious time.

Greta

Flashaholic
TorchMan said:
I lost my dog to kidney failure (cause unkown) in Feb. '04, so maybe there's some common ground on that. He was only four years old. It hurt (still does) but I would do it all over again, it was precious time.

Definately would do it all over again! Greta was my first bulldog and the inspiration for my personalized license plate... :) She was named after me... my nickname since I was a child.

The autopsy for Greta showed that she'd had kidney disease for a very long time... even though she was never symptomatic until two weeks before she died. She had alot of scarring on her kidneys indicating previous "issues". The vet concluded that it was probably congenital. It is very rare for a dog so young to have kidney failure. And even if she'd been diagnosed with kidney disease when she was much younger, the only options would have been dialysis or kidney transplant.

I'm so sorry that you went through the same thing... :(

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:wave: Sash! I've seen an autopsy, and don't care to again!!! :ralph!: That's pretty awsome, Somebody has to do it! and a Hi to KC! We do what we have to!

Larry

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your new job. It's really extraordinarily impressive how many new tricks you've learned in the past years. It would be impressive for ANY dog, old or new.

And speaking of dogs, please accept my condolences on your loss, and my congratulations on Wilamina. She looks like a sweety.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this and share with us! Really great to hear some news from you.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know it's a very difficult thing to deal with. Give Mina sloppy smooches from my Nikki.

Congrats on the new job, and
eeew.gif

TorchMan

Enlightened
Sasha said:
Definately would do it all over again! Greta was my first bulldog and the inspiration for my personalized license plate... :) She was named after me... my nickname since I was a child.

The autopsy for Greta showed that she'd had kidney disease for a very long time... even though she was never symptomatic until two weeks before she died. She had alot of scarring on her kidneys indicating previous "issues". The vet concluded that it was probably congenital. It is very rare for a dog so young to have kidney failure. And even if she'd been diagnosed with kidney disease when she was much younger, the only options would have been dialysis or kidney transplant.

I'm so sorry that you went through the same thing... :(

They listed three broad causes for Blue's kidney shutdown. One was congenital, another was leptospirosis (sp?) a bacteria found in standing water and the last was "eight hundred or so household items", i.e., poisoning. No autopsy was performed. They never figured the cause.

He was a great dog, and I have fond memories of him, including the games we played. He was one year old when I got him, and a rescue dog of sorts. The shelter that had him first had to treat him for many things, including a rope growing in his neck.

Wishing you and the new pup many happy years!

magic79

Enlightened
That's a very cool story. I've always told my children: the most important thing is not how much money you make, but how much you enjoy your work.

I told my son, when he reluctantly told me he didn't want to follow my footsteps and become an engineer because he though I would be disappointed: "What I want for you is to wake up one day when you are 30 and say to yourself 'I can't believe they PAY me to do this!'" That simple statement has forever changed our relationship for the better.

Enjoy Shasta.