G2 and KL3

DanPar

Newly Enlightened
I have a G2 and would like to put on a KL3. Does anybody have pics of this setup and beam shots. How bright is the new KL3.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't have any photos of the latest version of the KL3 but these photos give you a good idea:

P46.jpg

P210.jpg

The latest KL3 (the one with the revised TIR optic) is bright.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Go to flashlightreviews.com to see what the new KL3 beam looks like. I have one on my 9p, and like it so much that I recently put it on my G2 for comparison. Light output is the same with only runtime being increased by 2 or 3 hours. The KL3 head does make the G2 noticeably bigger due to the size of the KL3 head vs. the original G2 head. If you want to keep stock size of the G2, you might check out Bug Out Gear's 3 watt LED drop in at lighthound.com or bugoutgearusa.com. It only costs about half as much as the KL3, although I don't know how performance would compare b/n the two different brands. Maybe someone can chime in on that issue. Performance of the KL3 is awesome. It rates 19 lumens on Surefire's website, but it's concentrated into a throw pattern and is very bright for the amount of energy being expended.

Last edited:

DanPar

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the pics. I really like the G2 with the kl5 head on it. Very nice

jarobi

Enlightened
Delta447 said:
If you want to keep stock size of the G2, you might check out Bug Out Gear's 3 watt LED drop in at lighthound.com or bugoutgearusa.com. It only costs about half as much as the KL3, although I don't know how performance would compare b/n the two different brands. Maybe someone can chime in on that issue.

The G&P 3W dropin has much more spill than the KL3. The KL3 is all about throw. I use a KL3 on a G2 in my boat. I night fish quite a bit, and I often am stuck at 3:00 AM trying to find a boat ramp that doesn't have any lighting. Every once in awhile, my boat battery is run down from the submersible fishing lights and my 12V spotlight is rendered useless. The KL3 works very well to check for reflective buoys and scan the shoreline. The G&P requires me to be much closer to the shore to complete these tasks.

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
I just want to mention, from revision 2 to 3, the optics on the KL3 changed. Less throw, broader beam.

Windscale

Enlightened
There is a thread going under General Flashlight Discussions. Please take a look.