Introducing Hydra XP4 - DC/DC, Four Luxeons, one flashlight-Update-Runtimes

beam_me_up

Enlightened
PUT ME DOWN FOR ORDER #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I was just saying how I wanted to find a good C size battery flashlight and look what you did! Pleeeeeeease say you are going to sell a few of these to select CPF members
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda:

It looks magnificent.

Do you need the additional room in the bottom of a 2D head as compared to the bottom of a 3C head?

Are you currently putting out 4 * 15 L or overdriving it further?

In the July time frame when the 30 L 1W and 120 L 5W LS versions are supposedly going to be released do you think this architecture will be more battery / regulator flexible than running just one 5W LS? Will 4 @ 5W LS be similarly configured with your current knolwedge of heat sinking?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Lambda:

It looks magnificent.

Do you need the additional room in the bottom of a 2D head as compared to the bottom of a 3C head? -Yes, it is needed.

Are you currently putting out 4 * 15 L or overdriving it further? -Probably closer to 4x35 L.

In the July time frame when the 30 L 1W and 120 L 5W LS versions are supposedly going to be released do you think this architecture will be more battery / regulator flexible than running just one 5W LS? Will 4 @ 5W LS be similarly configured with your current knolwedge of heat sinking?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

some answers above-

The 5W will be nice, but sure, if you used four of the new high dome (assuming they can be overdriven like these), you should be able to push more power though them and get more light. The 5W is four chips in the same size package; how much heat can you draw from one little heat stud. Spread to four heat studs the same size, you should be able to dissipate 4 times as much power.

But, believe me, as far as C cells go, overdriving the current 4 Luxeons takes about all they've got. You couldn't do this with 4 x 5W, the batteries couldn't keep up.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, it's probably too bright!
blush.gif
shocked.gif

Who would want one of those?
confused.gif

(I'll be getting one or two!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif
tongue.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
That's a fantastic torch you have there lambda, but I'm sure it must drink batteries!
However, if you want a solid state torch that's brighter than any other this is it!
How hot does the torch body get after extensive use?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aarrgh! Lambda - you've made yet another mod that's too good to say "no" to - please treat this as my confirmation for an order: I'd like one of these beautiful monsters!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Lambda you havn't said if you plan on selling a few of these.....if you do remember I was the first post saying I wanted order #1
smile.gif
So maybe just sell one to me then.....yeah I'm fine with that
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda:

Your answers to my questions have succeeded in making me want to buy now rather than wait. 140 L in a 3C is impressive. It's too bad you don't like to manage impatient CPF'ers on a waiting list (Sort of like the SuperBowl commercial from two years ago about cat wranglers, I guess). If you change your mind, please add me to the list.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is even more awesome than I could have imagined when you first told me about it a month ago -- and it certainly looks "impact" proof. Of course I will have to test it out to be sure, heh heh.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda:

I forgot to ask you what the battery drain would be. I imagine that this light may be my excuse to add 4500 mAh C NiMH's to my current collection of 2300 mAh NiCADs and 3000 mAh NiMHs.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I get the feeling lambda would like the freedom to make different things, and not become a mass-order flashlight production company. He would be the one upstairs in the research and development department, whereas we would like him to be down on the factory floor.

They have production line assemblypersons for that.

Based on his prior posts about building assembly jigs, etc., I think he is in the process of setting that up.

So that he can remain upstairs, where he belongs.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, Lambda seems to be the first in making regulated Luxeon-based mods that have more than incredible potential *AND* viability as commercial retrofits - is anybody with manufacturing clout out there listening? There must be tens of thousands of Mag owners out there who simply must be introduced to this. The only thing that hasn't yet been figured out is how to make a *focusable* Hydra. But with the kind of light this thing must put out (I can guess - I've tried an overdriven 2.4 amp 4-LS mod before too), there really would be no need to have to focus the light for any distance up to about 50-75 feet.

Lambda, you really should start looking for someone to mass-produce your stuff - a pile of real cash awaits....

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, Lambda, I know you don't take a waiting list--yet--but it looks as if I'm number ten here...

I think I'd prefer one in a 3D mag light, though. (OK, I'm the first to ask for THAT)

If one LS in the ILLUMINATOR uses 2AA in 2 hours continuous, 4 hours with say 50% duty cycle, then the C cells will be drained in
almost the same time.

(6 WH for AAs, about 25WH for Cs and about 54WH for Ds). Ds should last about 4-5 hours continuous--maybe more based on %C discharge ratings and internal impedance characteristics.

Also, while not approaching the 20,000 candlepower of the 6D mag light, this unit should produce at least 1000 candlepower/candela--based on the 250 of the ILLUMINATOR. In fact, based on some of the Elektro-Lumens direct-drive LS lights, if Lambda drives the LS as hard as that (at the peaks) I'd suspect it might get up to 1500 candela!

<wet blanket mode>
We still have a way to go to match the 10,000+candela/candelpower lights like a 4D Mag or apparently the Brinkmann LX (mine arrives Thursday) or certainly the bigger SF and other mega-lights.
</wet blanket mode>

This will certainly be the brightest LED light yet made!

GO LAMBDA!

Cheers,

Richard

AndyJ

Newly Enlightened
Lambda,

Put me down for one!

Brighter and brighter, keep it up!

My wife is laughing at me AGAIN but hey, what do I care!!

Andy

Zephyr

Enlightened
Lambda,

Have you ever tried putting it in a 3D Legend case? Are the Maglites better to put Luxeons in than the Legends?

Thanks!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am definately going to get one of these, but I have become spoiled by bright, 2-aa and 2, 123 sized lites like the Brinkmann Legend LX, and the Inova X5 and of course the Lambda Illuminator.