Full Spectrum camping light for reading

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine asked me for a recommendation for a battery operated full spectrum light to take camping. He wants it to run 4 - 6 hours and be bright enough so 2 people sitting at a table could read comfortably. Price is a secondary factor, so I think lights over about $60 would be ruled out.

I did a google search and couldn't come with anything that seemed appropriate.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ott-lite is a well known ful spectrum light, but it is only available in 110v. Do a google search on "full spectrum light".

David_Campen

Enlightened
A friend of mine asked me for a recommendation for a battery operated full spectrum light to take camping. He wants it to run 4 - 6 hours and be bright enough so 2 people sitting at a table could read comfortably.
You say "sitting at a table" which implies car camping not backpacking so why not a Coleman, dual-mantle propane lantern.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say as I've ever seen a full spectrum light marketed for battery usage. And for camping, I'd think that a couple of those $15 flourescents from Costco would probably do the trick if they don't want to use a gas mantle lantern.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
David_Campen said:
You say "sitting at a table" which implies car camping not backpacking so why not a Coleman, dual-mantle propane lantern.
Car camping - yes. He has a Coleman, dual-mantle propane lantern. Says it's too big, too heavy, too noisy, too fragil (mantles), and he always has to make sure he has extra propane canisters (which he sometimes forgets to replace when he has used them).

jashhash

Enlightened
full spectrum...
The closest to full spectrum as far as camping would be a fluorescent lantern. Full spectrum would rule out LED's. Incandescents contain all visible spectrums of light though leaning heavily towards the red spectrum. What about a gas lantern? Those burn prety bright and white.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I'd think that a couple of those $15 flourescents from Costco would probably do the trick if they don't want to use a gas mantle lantern.
I have some and like them for lighting my camper, but the color temp is too warm for comfortable reading - very hard on the eyes.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
jashhash said:
full spectrum...
The closest to full spectrum as far as camping would be a fluorescent lantern.
Most full spectrum lights are flourescent (a few are halogen), but very few flourescent lights are full spectrum.

You have to do some reading with a standard flourescent and then do some reading with a full spectrum to really appreciate the difference.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH-

I have never seen, and do not know of any low voltage full spectrum lights. The smallest tubes I know of are 18". There are also many incandescent replacement lamps.

I can understand why someone would want one of these lights near their reading chair at home. But camping? Aren't we talking about a couple of nights at the campsite picnic table?

One or two of the 16W florescent battery lanterns should work fine. The newer ones with the spiral twisted tubes should be more than adequate for reading in camp. They also make excellent tent lights.

Mark

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
JimH said:
You have to do some reading with a standard flourescent and then do some reading with a full spectrum to really appreciate the difference.
Seconded. :twothumbs: I use full spectrum lamps both at home and at my workplace. For me it's easily the best light for extended reading. However, I haven't been able to find any portable full-spectrum light, either. The fluorescent camping lanterns I know of use 5W or 7W tubes in a 2G7 plug-in base (e.g. several Osram models). But the only small full-spectrum plug-in tubes (i.e. CRI >= 90, correlated temperature around 5500 to 6500 K) I've been able to find are 11W in a G23 base - way too long to fit in standard fluorescent camping lanterns, and probably even too big for a DIY full-spectrum lantern project. All the smaller tubes seem to be "cool white" 4100 K at best, with a CRI well below 90. :shrug:

For me personally, the second best light for reading is Luxeon LED light, though - no full spectrum, but not yellowish, either. So if a small fluorescent lantern isn't an option, I'd probably go with a Luxeon headlamp, preferably something with a floody beam or a diffusor.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
The newer ones with the spiral twisted tubes should be more than adequate for reading in camp. They also make excellent tent lights.
I haven't seen any of these. Do you have a link that shows them. Size is also a factor. There is just so much you can pack into the family car for a family of 4 to go a 3 or 4 day camping trip.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH said:
I haven't seen any of these. Do you have a link that shows them. Size is also a factor. There is just so much you can pack into the family car for a family of 4 to go a 3 or 4 day camping trip.

Funny, I just played with one of these in WallyWorld before I got home and read your post.

Made by Coleman. The spiral tube seems to throw a smoother beam than a straight tube. Nice thing is that this lantern collapses into itself for transport, making a smaller package and protecting the lamp and globe. Impossible to judge amount of output in the bright store, but 15W should be good for most camping situations. About $20. Heavy due to 8 D cells. Claims 12 hours on high.

Coleman Lantern

Mark

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size is a little shorter than a propane mantle lantern. The one that Flash linked to is available at the Wal*Mart stores in Milpitas and the one on Story Road. Don't know about the one on Monterey (that place always look like it just got looted after being hit by a hurricane). Check the tint though, if the GE ones are too yellowish, this one might be as well.

JimH said:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, JimH.

I'm afraid I'll have to be all Radio Shack about it though. "You've got questions? I have a blank stare."

I would say that the Coleman Pack-Away would be a good platform for your friend's requirement.

I like this lantern but there are three things I don't like about it.

It is not rechargeable. That is easily remedied but costly.

It needs a couple of small rotating "C" locks. If it is carried by the handle in a collapsed state, a little jostling will un-collapse it. That is an unacceptable hard shock.

The color is harsh.

Problems one and two are easily solved but I have not been able to solve the color issue. The base of the 15W U spiral tube is not the same as full or semi-full spectrum spiral fluorescent tubes found at big box home improvement stores.

Darn it.

Coleman Pack-Away thread.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might a tethered light running from the car work? You could use one of those florescent drop lights that uses a standard length tube then replace the bright white with a full spectrum tube.

-LT

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
The River Rock lantern that runs on 4 AA batteries, can light up an average sized room or large tent well enough for everyone to read by. The light it emits can be a bit too bright and glarely, so a simple wrap of waxed paper held on with scotch tape or a rubber band can smooth out the artifacts in the beam, and reduce the harshness and glare.
Expect to get 40 hours or so of light from one set of Alkalines or Nimh.

The lantern is small, pretty much waterproof, well made, and the Nichia LED makes it shock proof. It's almost unbreakable.

It's available from Target for $19.99, and should be a basic requirement for any camper or flashoholic.

Another consideration is the bookmark light. They attach to the book, and a single LED projects light onto the page. They vary in price from $.99-10.00. I have one clipped on a bookshelf, and it projects down a foot or two to illuminate my keyboard in the dark without disturbing others. Some are very stylish and modern, others are unique, and in fact I have a "golf ball" bookmark light.

And, I add a vote for using headlamps. These are probably the most effecient method of not only viewing pages, but a distracting noise or anything else will be illuminated within the field of view with no effort whatsoever.

I also saw something very interesting, but can't remember where. I saw baseball hats with LEDs incorporated into the bill. Simply ingenious!

Last edited: