Surefire Digital Flashlight info

Lonewolf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Digital Light?
Good question !!

Why digital (regulation) Flashlight (tm)??

(a) It's new.
(b) Cuz it is digital !?!
(c) It sucks more energy out (?) out of battery.
(d) It gives you constant white lights from start to finish by regulation.

It could be what ever reason you want to be ...
However, I think my first reason would be,

CUZ, WHEN YOU USE LIION SFL123A(tbd) BATTERY,
YOU COULD HAVE 50 MIN. OF PURE WHITE SF TRADEMARK SMOOTH BEAM WITHOUT SF123A !!

What do you think ??
Do you think it could be a good enough reason to purchase dIgItAl Flashlight (tm)??
Your initial investment might be more,
But, now you can enjoy your SF beam without SF123A COST !!
I hope this SF Digital Flashlight (tm) will open a door for lots of more options for all users.
Any feed back ??

Regards,
pk

BTW, these are not all of it for 2002 ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like they made rechargeable lithium batteries a thing of the present.

And pk says this isn't all that he has in store.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I was looking at the pics again and this means that there will be a Digital L1 and L2. They look like an E1 and E2 but are rechargeable now that is awesome.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Pardon my igorance, but I've never used rechargeables. Why do LIIONS need special circuitry and other rechargeables don't? Also, anyone know how long LIIONS hold their charge?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:

Pardon my igorance, but I've never used rechargeables. Why do LIIONS need special circuitry and other rechargeables don't? Also, anyone know how long LIIONS hold their charge?
Thanks,
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Norm, Afaik, the LI-ion cells are very sensitive to both overcharging and undercharging, (although I'm not too knowledgeable about their chemistry), the charge needs to be very regulated. Even the ones I've been experimenting with (bought as surplus), came with integrated charging circuit.

Also, their ability to hold a charge is much better than say, Nimh or Ncd.

recercare

Enlightened
Li-Ion has more capacity/weight and more capacity/volume than the others.

Capacitycomparison (Wh/kg)
NiCd 45-80
NiMHH 60-120
SLA 30-50
Li-Ion 110-160

Selfdischarge/month:
NiCd 20%
NiMH 30%
SLA 5%
Li-Ion 10%

Operating Temperature
NiCd -40 to 60C
NiMH -15 to 60C
SLA -20 to 60C
Li-Ion -30 to 60C

Operating temperature does not tell how they perform, just the max limits. Li-Ion and NiCd perform much better at -10C than SLA and NiMH, even though all batteries have pretty similar operating temperature.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A newbie question about abbreviations: what is the Wh in the Wh/kilogram stand for? What does SLA stand for?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carl:
A newbie question about abbreviations: what is the Wh in the Wh/kilogram stand for? What does SLA stand for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watt Hours

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Sealed Lead Acid. My car battery is SLA and operates above 60c....???

And I've read that NiMH loses 3% a day and Lithium Ion loses around 1% a day.

If I don't use my NiCad 8AX for a couple of weeks it's dead a few minutes after I turn it on so it's gotta be more than 20-30% a month.

Who knows. Every website I go to has different info.

recercare

Enlightened
The info in my previous post is just the typical/average specs of the different batterytypes. You'll find NiCd and SLA that perform much better.

Btw....I think you should disregard the info about NiMH because today you get Ultracapacity NiMHs that is almost just as good as Li-Ion, and has much better specs than the standard NiMH mentioned in my previous post.

Wh/Kg = Wattage hours per Kilogram. It says something about the capacity per kilo, or energy density per kilo. In other words, a NiCd battery with 1,3 kilo weight has the same capacity as a NiMH with 1 kilo weight.

I got the batteryinfo from NASA, so it should be pretty valid as a general description of battery performance.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
recercare,

I've always been baffled by battery performance ever since I can remember. I've yet to figure it out and probably never will since I'm not edumacated enough in that field.
confused.gif
So I can't argue with NASA, they are smarter than me in their sleep!

I personally like rechargeables over alkaline (unless voltage is an issue) and Lithium over both aformentioned types. SLA does a good job in my 3 mcp spotlight however.

recercare

Enlightened
flexmodem

It's almost impossible to become expert on batteries. I am not, actually I'm quite a rookie. There're so many differences between manufacturers, and new and improved batterytypes are released every month.
rolleyes.gif