Newbie Question: Fenix P1 vs Jil-Lite Intelli/DD

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
first I must say that it's been a relief to find out that I'm not the only one with a flashlight obsession! I was beginning to think something was wrong with me!
I've been reading as much as possible on this and other forums trying to educate myself on all the various lights and I have a question. My next purchase will probably be another EDC (current EDC is a SF E1 executive) and I'm looking for something a little smaller but brighter.
My current top 2 choices are the Fenix P1 and the JIL-Lite Intelli/DD.
Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on the differences between them, or suggest similar alternatives? I haven't yet figured out how to interpret most specs such as lumens, candlepower, etc so laymans terms would be great!
I know the P1 is a 1xcr123 and the JIL is a 1xCR2, and the JIL seems to have a lot more flexibility at almost twice the price of the P1, but I'm basically looking for something in this size range that is as bright as possible with as long a throw as possible.
Also, how would these lights compare to my E1 (older GM model I think with clip attached to head).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nigel

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jil Intelli isn't currently available (except on the resale market, and good luck with that).

The Jil is really more of a keychain light than a dedicated EDC light like the Surefire, but it gets the job done. It could take the place of your larger EDC if you need it to, but I consider it more of a back-up or keychain light. The one disadvantage the Jil has in respect as an EDC is that it's not heat-sunk very well. It gets hot very quickly on "burst" (only lasts 20 minutes anyway), and even on "high" (default level 15) it gets pretty warm.

If you want something small, bright, and versatile, the best there is is the Fire~Fly III, which you can get from the Manufacturers section (they're also made in Canada, so you don't have to deal with customs and fees). Think of it as a 123A powered Jil Intelli that's brighter and better made (it uses the same circuitry). Still quite a bit smaller than your E1E. On "burst" it puts out around 70 lumens, vs the 15 of your E1E. $130 USD gets you the light, a rechargable R123A lithium ion, and a charger.

Nobody has a Fenix P1 yet, but it does look to be a fine light. Much cheaper than the Jil or FF3, but you've only got one brightness level. I'm of the opinion that multiple brightness levels is the only way to go for an EDC light. Bright is fun, but you don't always want bright. Sometimes you only need to see enough, without burning your night vision away.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P1 - Has regulated output to drive a Lux3 off a primary CR123A. It may fit an unprotected Li-Ion R123A, but likely will not fit a protected Li-Ion R123A. No one's received one yet, so it's hard to say how bright it is. It should produce more overall light output than your E1e, but LED light is different from incan light. If you've had experience with lights such as the Fenix L1P or Nuwai Q3, the expectation is for the P1 to produce more light than those. How much is hard to say as Fenix's output claims are typically made at the emitter and not how much light actually comes out the front end. About 2.5" x 0.79". $50.

Jil Intelli - Basically a Jil DD with a FluPIC driver circuit that allows for mulitple modes of operation that's user selectable. I don't own one, or any FluPIC equipped light, but I believe there's a low, high, and max/burst setting. The low and high settings are user selectable amongst 20 light levels. There's also SOS and other modes. Look up member goldserve as he has a manual posted showing the various menus and modes (he's the maker of the FluPIC). It was designed to and runs best off a rechargeable Li-Ion RCR2 (due to the driver design). It can run off a primary CR2, but it will be considerably dimmer (likely dimmer than the DD on a primary). About 2" x 0.79". $105 (based off old prices).

Jil DD - As the DD references, there is no driver circuit in this light. It is Direct Driven off the battery. It comes in a TWOJ and TWOH version (the type of Lux3 LED it runs). The TWOJ can be easily run off a RCR2 as well as a primary CR2. The TWOH will be very overdriven if run off a RCR2, so it's recommended to run it mostly off a CR2. The DD does not produce as much light as the Intelli or the P1. It's more for a good amount of light for a very long period of time (Jil DDs have 20+hr runtime!). Same size as the Intelli, 2" x 0.79". $65 (based of old prices).

The Jils are currently unavailable (will be available in about a week I think) due to a redesign of the reflector to better focus the newer Lux3 LEDs.

Other suggestions in the same size range:

Jetbeam Jet1 - Standard light is a single AA light. An optional 123A tube can be purchased for it. On a primary CR123A, it is very bright! Some have been successful at running unprotected R123As in it. It seems most protected R123As don't fit (mine don't). I like it because the light is able to run off a variety of battery types. It runs off a regulator circuit like the Fenix P1 and can accept input voltages from 0.9V to 4.2V. 2.6" x 0.79". $50ish for the AA light and $20 or so for the 123A tube (check with Emilion for pricing).

Pierce M10 - Also a regulated light driving a Lux3. Has 2 selectable outputs, one at 400mA and another at 1000mA. However, the outputs are selected before you use the light, not while the light is in use (the switch is inside). The only one of the bunch that uses an optic instead of a reflector. It's available in 2 optic versions: narrow and wide. Seems to be very bright. Many have stated they don't see much difference in output between the 400mA level and 1000mA level, so they run them at 400mA to save battery life and reduce the heat. There's a thread in the manufacturer's forum and I think in the reviews forum also. About 2.5" long, not sure on width. These are all pretty small. I think the price is about $130-$140...check their website.

Fire-Fly III - Similar to the Jil Intelli in that it runs off a FluPIC driver. However, the FF3 uses a Li-Ion R123A instead of an RCR2. Like the Intelli, it can run off a primary CR123A, but it won't be nearly as bright as the LED will be very underdriven. Has the same modes and user selectable stuff as the Intelli. DSpeck makes these, check his threads in the manufacturers forum and the reviews in the reviews forum. 2.5" x 0.79" I think. $130.

These are the smallest lights available. At a slightly larger size, there's the McLuxIII PD and HDS EDC lights, but these are in the 3.2" x 1.0" size range.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Planterz & jsr, that's exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. I'll check out the Firefly a bit more. I too like the idea of multiple brightness levels as it will extend battery life.
I've also had my eyes on the McLuxIII and the Nuwai Quantum III.
I'm also looking for something about the size of a Scorpion but brighter/longer throw but I guess that's for another thread! I'm liking the SF E2 Executive and E2D Executive Defender but don't know how much brighter they are than the Scorpion.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the FireFly, but I EDC a Jil Intelli most of the time instead of the FF, so that is also a valid option. It has settable low levels that don't get hot, last a long time, and put out plenty of light. Very well built. Of course, good luck finding one for sale.
The P1 will be very similar to the Jet-1 CR123 body. But since the Jet-1 presale is over, you have to buy the AA version and add the $20 CR123 body. BUT, they are not currently available either, except on B/S/T forum.

Other small EDC options available now:
Amilite Neo T3 - $73 and bright, but a bit bigger than the FF or P1
CR2 Ion - $130, Very small (Jil size) with multi-levels (PhotonsIntl.com)
I would rather have the Ion than the Jil Intelli since it is easier to turn on one-handed.
Orb Raw 3W - ~$80-90 RCR2, bright, two level available (theorb.co.uk)
Peak Pacific - There are several battery options out soon/eventually, but only one level and not super bright, but bright and well regulated (I hear/read). Other peaks are also nice. (peakledsolutions.net)

Happy hunting!

vortechs

Enlightened
NaturalMystic said:
...My current top 2 choices are the Fenix P1 and the JIL-Lite Intelli/DD.
Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on the differences between them, or suggest similar alternatives? I haven't yet figured out how to interpret most specs such as lumens, candlepower, etc so laymans terms would be great!

Nigel

I'd go for the JIL-CR2 Intelli over the Fenix P1.

See post #4 of this thread (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116901) for a lot of information about the JIL-CR2 series that I collected for the benefit of people who were new to the light and didn't want to spend hours searching CPF for info. Hope it helps.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I've pre-ordered a black Fenix P1 from Fenix-Stores and I'm guessing that a FF3 will probably be my next buy. I've been reading the threads on the LRI Proton and it looks interesting too.
As for the JiL, it's not available so will have to wait for that.

Thanks again.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Hey Oddjob, I see we live by the same mantra...
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'll probably pick one up from Doug directly when I get one. I live pretty close to his location myself. I was wondering if he has any sort of "brick and mortar retail" location where he sells these locally or if it's strictly online or what? I'd love to go check one out in person.

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies guys. I think it's pretty much a given that I'll be getting one of these somewhere in the future.
I noticed that the Sandwich Shoppe has CR2 power packs that screw onto the Firefly head for $25. I hope these are still available as I'll probably pick up one of those since I have quite a few CR2s.
[I bought into a local camera store's (Henry's) replacement battery pkg...I think it was $40 for 5 yrs of free batteries. I get 2 pairs (4 total) CR2s/yr but don't use the original camera they were intended for anymore. They fit as backup in my Nikon D70 battery pack (takes 3 CR2s at a time), but I also have 3 rechargeables for that so haven't yet needed the CR2s.]
Bottom line is that I'll have about 20 CR2 batteries in total that I can use with this badboy when I get my FF3 and CR2 body....can't wait!