• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Regulated OSTAR mod 6.5W on "Golston 7W" host using

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
Finally I had the time to build a first mod using the OSRAM OSTAR LE W E3B star. My first impressions of the LED module can be found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115286

During testing, one of the six elements died (overheating). I'm not sure if the remaining five elements aren't permanently damaged, too.

The host is a "Golston 7W" (nice-looking 2 CR123 flashlight with a 3W luxeon star clone driven with a resistor).

I had to modify the reflector to make the OSRAM star fit at all. I wouldn't call the reflector optimized for the OSRAM star :)

Here are some beamshots (exp. time: 1/350s, aperture 5.6, autom. white bal.)

OSTAR_vs_L2Pmm.jpg

OSTAR mod left - Fenix L2P MillerMod 3W right

OSTAR_vs_SFL7_3.jpg

OSTAR mod left - Surefire L7 right

Notice the big donut effect ... it's because the reflector is ideal for a punctiform light source - but certainly not for a big die of about 3x2 mm... have to work on that..

The technical data:

The driver is a Shark step-up converter board from The Sandwich Shoppe, doing very well on the OSTAR with the J1 jumper connected, thus providing up to 21V.

Vf is about 15.5V, output current is 420 mA, drawing 2A from the 2x CR123 batteries. The OSTAR is underdriven @ 6.5 watts.

I think that the converter cannot feed the star with more than 420mA because the batteries cannot provide more than 2A. I should try to install more powerful batteries or change the host, maybe a Mag serves better.

Next project could be to convert my old Surefire 9N into a 15W LED monster ... we'll see. :)

Best regards

Luminator

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting! :thumbsup: Where did you buy the Osram led? :thinking:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Lumintor :)

Any more updates on this project?

Were you able to find more powerful batteries to drive the ostar at a higher level?
I took a look at the specs of the shark board and the 6-chip ostar and it looks as if the Vf is right on the limit of what the shark can output. If you were unlucky enough to get a high Vf bin ostar, you would not be able to drive at high current. Perhaps the 4-chip version would be better suited to the driver.

If you were able to transplant the ostar into a golston, does this mean you managed to remove the emitter from the star?

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
monkeyboy said:
Hello Lumintor :)

Any more updates on this project?
Not really, to be frank.

monkeyboy said:
Were you able to find more powerful batteries to drive the ostar at a higher level?

Batteries are not the issue, mine were just weak during the first tests. I'm more concerned about getting a reflector suitable for the OSTAR. Throw is bad, at least with the 6-die version.

monkeyboy said:
I took a look at the specs of the shark board and the 6-chip ostar and it looks as if the Vf is right on the limit of what the shark can output. If you were unlucky enough to get a high Vf bin ostar, you would not be able to drive at high current. Perhaps the 4-chip version would be better suited to the driver.

You're right, that's what I'm currently evaluating.

monkeyboy said:
If you were able to transplant the ostar into a golston, does this mean you managed to remove the emitter from the star?

Since the OSTAR has the same dimensions as the luxeon star I didn't have to remove it.

In general, I believe that I could better serve the CPF community by getting some OSTAR samples for a reasonable price here in germany and pass it over to some interested folks whereever in the world having more time to spend on building custom lights.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in a group buy for osram ostars. Does anyone know if there is a better driver for this than the shark i.e. one with a vf of up to 30V? (maximum vf at 1000ma is 29.5V) Is it possible to connect two drivers in series? I read a previous thread saying that two sharks could be connected in parallel.

Has anyone tried removing the ostar emitter from the board? If this is possible, it would make an excellent maglite mod.

Last edited: