Fire~Fly III - Strobe Mode

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Has anyone been able to set the strobe rate to something that actually makes the strobe function an irritating or debilitating tool? I know how to set the strobe rate in Mode-5 and have tried to set it to get the same affect as my POP2 sammie strobe mode, but have been unsuccessful. I've set the strobe mode to various settings on the FF-III, but it just doesn't yield the same affect. My POP2 strobe, when activated in a dark room, really disorients you in a matter of seconds. I can't get that same affect on the FF-III.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
mine is relatively irritating now, after i had calibrated it as close as possible (though far from perfectly) to the Gladius's strobe. seems to be about 2/3 to 3/4 up the strobe hertz table.

what helps is that even though i am in mode 4, i have set my light to come on in strobe mode at first go. i find that this has the most impact. if i switch up from low-med-burst-strobe, then my eyes have already adjusted to it and it doesn't affect me much.

i know this really isn't a solution, but it has made it better for me...

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN,

On my POP2's, I have noticed that the stobe is variable. It speeds up and slows down. I don't know about the Flupic.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strobe frequencies are from 4hz to 15 hz. By default, strobe will be at 700ma max. I do have a strobe @ burst option I can program in to give it the full blast of 1.2A on a freshly charged cell.

I believe there was mention of the POP2 having some kind of varying strobe...like throbbing. Not sure if it was random or does it actually vary while it is strobbing. I'd like to see how a gladius strobe looks like. Why is it so stunning?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
the gladius (to me at least) seems more disorienting because of two main factors.

first is that the gladius has a concentrated spot and dimmer spill compared to the more floody beam of the FF3. that, i guess is not a flupic-related issue, but the gladius you can tell the on from the off, even though it goes at a very fast rate. the more floody beam on the FF3 is not the best for the strobe and the times when it goes off, it doesn't seem as if it goes completely off.

second the gladius also seems like it has a varying rate. whether this is real or because it is more disorienting, i don't know, but that's what it seems like.

but as i said, when i set it to come on first in strobe, it actually is relatively effective in the dark. what i'd suggest to try to improve the flupic strobe is to vary the strobe rate, and maybe check why it doesn't seem like the off goes completely off.

this is all pretty unscientific, but hope it helps =) :p

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see wha tyou mean. A i have a duty cycle of 50% so if i decrease that and enable strobe BURST, i should get a pretty good effect. I'll try it out and see if it works better.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
nice :grin2: i'd love to see the developments! i never got the chance to say it directly but i *really* love the flupic lights i have.

I have others that I carry too, but they come and go according to specific purposes or events. only the Intelli and FF3 stay with me at any given time :thumbsup:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a user or two that is willing to let me program their lights. I have a shorter burst for the strobe and it looks more effective.

PM me if you are willing to part with your light for a while. =D

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is the same. I'm just adjusting the ontime for strobe to be very short and enabled burst brightness when strobbing so it is much more effective. I don't have any more room to implement a throbbing strobe.

Please PM me for my address.

Alternatively, if you are semi OK with soldering, you can order a board from me and you can replace the FFIII board yourself. Let me tell you that you need a very very very small hex screw driver to do so.

rscanady

Enlightened
For what its worth, and anyone who knows who Clint Smith is, The strobe function was not favored by him on the gladius. This is what he told a friend of mine taking one of his classes. He said he felt that it would be too disorienting to him also using it against an attacker.

Just wanted to put that out.

I like to strobe my co-workers though, but using it at night on an attacker, I just cant swallow.

Ryan

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
goldserve said:
Alternatively, if you are semi OK with soldering, you can order a board from me and you can replace the FFIII board yourself. Let me tell you that you need a very very very small hex screw driver to do so.

I would be intrested :sold: