Lambda Illuminator runtime test...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Last night, I performed a runtime test on the Lambda Illuminator. This test was performed using Rayovac Alks. The measuring instrument was a solar cell (using mA values) and a data-logging Fluke multimeter. Below is a table showing the data recorded. I set the meter to log a point in 15 minute increments, although I could have provided more resolution I didn't think it necessary (unless someone wants to see it).

0:00 - 4.078 mA
0:15 - 3.835 mA
0:30 - 3.526 mA
0:45 - 3.411 mA
1:00 - 3.221 mA
1:15 - 2.996 mA
1:30 - 2.792 mA
1:45 - 2.675 mA
2:00 - 0.550 mA (almost dead)
2:15 - 0.009 mA

I turned off the light this morning when I awoke. Around 15 minutes later, I was able to get light out of it agian after the batteries recovered. If anyone is curious, I can measure how much runtime you can get if you run it 15min on and 15 min off until dead.

Eric

Darell

Flashaholic
That is a steeper curve than I would have guessed. But by using it in non-constant mode, I'm sure the curve would be flatter. I'd love to see the on/off results!

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
I suspect a lot of the light fall-off was due to heat in the LED not from the regulator (except at the very end).

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
That is a steeper curve than I would have guessed. But by using it in non-constant mode, I'm sure the curve would be flatter. I'd love to see the on/off results!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Schroeder:
[qb]I suspect a lot of the light fall-off was due to heat in the LED not from the regulator (except at the very end).

Ron

[qb]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron, the light didn't keep getting warmer, it stabilized after about 5 minutes. I wish I had a temp probe for my meter, then I suppose I could take measurements. Although, I think that the junction temperature should become stable after a short time (lambda always heatsinks well).

Darell, I will do an on/off test tomorrow or Sunday, and will post results as soon as it's done.

TripleDouble, I unfortunately dont have any NiMH batts. Sorry
tongue.gif

Eric

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lightspeed:
Darell, I will do an on/off test tomorrow or Sunday, and will post results as soon as it's done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fantastic. Thanks. That will be a much better real-world test, and should tell us more about the battery life. I'll bet the figures at least double...

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
I'd agree that the heat would stabilize, they do with LS's built on the ZLT circuit. You really should go with the nimh's, they should give you a longer continous burn.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColdLight:
what is the continuous runtime of a 2aa mag with regular alkalines?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This graph is from the Opalec site. The Incandescent represents a Mini Mag.

graph.jpg