Are You Sure You See What You Think You See?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is like when you flash your self a few times with a luxeon led you are modding a light with. i was seeing spots :p lots of them as my hand was shaking while i was testing the led using a 2aa battery holder.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is very cool! the red/green after image thing is pretty well known, but using a pink like that seems to fool my brain into thinking it's an after image of something and that it needs to be edited out.

That is pretty neat :D

dfred

Enlightened
I agree with chesterqw and James S that the color of pink very closely matches afterimages from extremely bright light sources (e.g. the sun) and must have a special status wrt to "post-processing". Thanks for sharing, I'd not seen this type of illusion before.

BTW, here's a great illusion that shows one of the several reasons it is so difficult to judge brightness with the eye:

http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like a cat that tunes out all sounds except the ones the stalked mouse makes, and being able to ignore similar disturbing sounds like a TV, and continue to sleep through them, the eyes cancel the input of the stationary blinking dots to concentrate on the potentially more important moving dot..?

pretty neat..those gray squares really threw me though..I couldn't believe it, even when I masked the screen with my hands..we so much see things the way we tnhik they shulod be..!

Last edited:

dfred

Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
pretty neat..those gray squares really threw me though..I couldn't believe it, even when I masked the screen with my hands..we so much see things the way we tnhik they shulod be..!

Heh heh, yea... That's one of the reasons it's a favorite of mine. When looking at it, there's no sense that you're being fooled. It's very hard to see through this illusion without some sort of masking; if you're good at defocusing your eyes it's possible to see through the trick. Apparently getting rid of the sharp definition between the squares does it.

There's a link path from that page to a scholarly paper on the subject of Lightness Perception and Lightness Illusions which may be germane to many discussions of brightness, throw, penetration in fog, backscatter, etc. here on CPF...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
dfred said:
if you're good at defocusing your eyes it's possible to see through the trick. Apparently getting rid of the sharp definition between the squares does it.

That works surprsingly well.

Last edited:

Latest posts