Da Vinci code

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you read the book?
Will you see the movie?

Was told it was a good book a couple of years ago. Only available in hardback at CAD$35-$50 so I passed. The paperback editions finally came out. The illustrated version was still $32 so I just got the basic paperback. Movie will be out Friday. With the premiere on Wednesday the reviews are out and they are not good.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

Maybe I'll go see MI III or United 93 instead (if the rain will stop). Which one of those would you recommend?

LowWorm

Enlightened
Read the book, will probably see the movie.

No offense to Tom Hanks fans out there, but he is not at ALL what I imagined the protagonist to look like. Tom Hanks is a great actor and then some, but I really wish they had picked someone a little handsomer...I envisioned a more Richard Gere-type. And I'm not shallow - the book flat-out describes the guy as being good-looking. Plus, Tom Hanks's hair for this movie just looks weird.

I don't agree with the a lot of the theological premises Dan Brown makes in the novel, but I do think it makes for great fiction. Movie hopefully maintains the same suspenseful pace as the book does.

magic79

Enlightened
Read the book. Entertaining, except I thought the ending was a cop out lousy end.

I understand in Caan they laughed throughout and booed (whistled) at the end.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmm, I don't know about the accuracy of this book to the real things it mentions, but if it's anything like Digital Fortress, it's full of lots of fake terminology. A good book and an interesting read, though. The prequel Angels and Demons is pretty good, too.

... maybe I should tell my buddies that the reviews aren't looking good... a few are seeing the Da Vinci code after the prom.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
>>> the book flat-out describes the guy as being good-looking

Actually, as I recall, the book describes the main character as "Indiana Jones-like."

So why wasn't Harrison Ford considered for the part? Is he too old?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't be seeing either Da Vinci or anything with Tom Cruise in it. These days I'm more into animated Disney-type flicks like "Over the Hedge" or "Cars" coming out in late May and early June respectively.

cheers!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The book was fun. I recommend the audio book for a long car trip, which is how I first heard it. I"m not that excited about the movie as the dialog in the book just wasn't up to being converted in any meaningful way ;)

The historical fiction aspect of the book was wonderful though, weaving mostly truth with a little exposition that let them draw some fantastic conclusions that since he draws you to them through so much that is real you are willing to accept for the duration of the novel. That part I thought was very well done.

The controversy over it in religious circles makes me just howl with laughter. They are honestly worried that challenging the godhood of their favorite savior will reduce the population filling out their pews. On the contrary, I seem to notice that people already know what they believe and will use evidence that supports it to shore up those beliefs (even if it comes from fiction) but will ignore any evidence to the contrary (even if it comes from science) ;) It's a lot easier to convince someone to go to church than to convince them to stop just cause they saw a bad movie :D I recommend everyone google for "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter" if they want true blaspheme there is a trailer on the web that you will just want to watch over and over again :D

The book was very enjoyable, and if you know anything about the topics or art that are discussed you can see how well he did weaving reality and fiction. That makes it a good book. The more plausible the author can make the outrageous the better the story!

That being said, most of the historical information about the forming of the early church and how it came to power is mostly correct, it's just the conclusions he draws from that which are arguable ;) Drawing alternate ideas from history is FUN.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Oooooh, ooooohhhh, interesting discussion. . . (excitedly goes to get the popcorn and beer). . .

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S said:
The controversy over it in religious circles makes me just howl with laughter.

Not me. The hypocrisy of the left is more the issue, IMO. Its great fun for some (many) on the left to laugh at Christianity, but those same people demand "inclusion", "diversity training", "acceptance" and "tolerance" of every other walk of life. They tell us to reward Mexicans who break our laws, and pamper Muslims who would extinguish Western civilization, but tolerate Christianity? Fat chance. Hanks and other lefties mock Christians in every forum, seek to remove the Ten Commandments from the public square, and get God out of the Pledge of Allegience. All others, though, are entitled to acceptance and tolerance.

FWIW, I don't support the boycotts and so forth as I think it just brings attention to a movie which should be ignored. Ultimately, this movie will be forgotten along with "The Last Temptation" and others of its ilk. Its just a movie after all, and apparently not a very good one.

cheers!

[Edited for spelling]

Last edited:

MichiganMan

Enlightened
What I'll find interesting is the contrast between the response of the the "intolerant" "reactionary" Christian right to the movie and the response of European Muslims to the Muhammad cartoons.. ie. Widespread rioting and credible threats of bombings vs. hmm, calls for boycotts and ooh, a nun kneeling in prayer at a press event. Man, watch out for those Christian extremists they're always talking about over here, they're outta control!

Last edited:

flashlite

Enlightened
I read the paperback but will probably wait for the DVD to come out. The book was outstanding.

The whole time I was reading the book, I was picturing Harrison Ford as Robert Langdon. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing that part. When I heard Tom Hanks was to playing the part of Langdon, I couldn't see how he could pull it off. From the early reviews, he apparently couldn't. That's a shame because this movie had blockbuster potential.

I think Ron Howard is the most overrated director too. Steven Spielberg was a no-brainer for this movie.

tattoou2

Enlightened
The book was definitely a good read...fast-paced, suspenseful, and great characters, but I'll wait for the DVD to come out. I thought Harrison Ford would have made a great Robert Langdon too.

Empath

Flashaholic
It's obvious the topic is hot, particularly religiously. It could probably be discussed if it didn't involve claims of laughter at other's religions, inclusions of political accusations, and the obligations to defend that some will, without doubt, feel. Try the Underground.

zulu45

Enlightened
I got to see it opening night, the night before my sister's wedding. It was great! I'm definately going to go see it another time, just to get all of the details. But best of all, I spotted an Inova X5T UV being used! My friend kept smacking me upside the head, because I started naming that light off. :rock:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've always liked adventure/treasure hunting books. It really is a "fun" adventure book to read, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the religious ideas being presented. In general, even if I disagree with what's on any book, I still read it so I can understand what the opposing "side" has to say and how they're thinking about concepts or series of events.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being deeply religious and being able to accept "historical" (my brother, a true historian and Professor of Ancient History, might call it "hysterical"!) fiction don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The book was a great read. After reading it, I encouraged my wife to read it, and she encouraged her book club to read it. Some of the ladies there had a hard time with the accusations about Catholicism, even though they were not Catholic. Sometimes we take ourselves to seriously, I think.

It is a work of FICTION, though some of it has some basis in fact.

But, then, I've never had a hard time with the thought that a Jewish male at the time of Christ would be married by the time they were 30, either!

Whether or not he WAS married, it makes for a great storyline in the book. I haven't seen the movie yet, and generally find that movies CAN'T match the book.

Dan Brown's criticisms of the Catholic church, both in DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons is over the top, (I'm not Catholic, BTW), and to say it is historically accurate is stretching quite a bit. That said, the church from 400-1700 sure had some interesting characters! Not to mention the Inquisition, etc.

It's a good read, not a history book, and Dan Brown gives you JUST enough real history to whet your appetite to know more.

The Knights Templars were real, (cool history!), the Illuminata really existed, but neither one in the way or for the length of time that he mentions.

The DaVinci paintings ARE cool, and the "Last Supper" has always intrigued me because that character is certainly different in appearance than the others, but whether it is supposed to me Mary is quite a stretch, and whether he intended it to be so went to his grave with him.

The movie is probably fun, but not history.

Bill

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Saw the movie this weekend. It is very true to the book, in fact it was like I was reading it again.

A co-worker who loved the book said he thought Tom Hanks portrayal was too flat. He thought he should have been more excited or more animated. I was alright with Hank's performance. I always assumed Langdon was the level headed scientific type. YMMV.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the movie Monday. Regular movie viewers seem to like it better (58% on tribute.ca) than the critics (18% on rottentomatoes.com).
They shoud have left off parts not central to the story, like the monks self flaggelation. The time would be better spent making sure the explanations are clear and building up the charater of Princess Sophie.
Tom Hanks did a poor Jeff Goldblum, who was a master at teaching us the science in the sci-fi movies of the 80s & 90s. Tom does not know when to emphasize an important point. Maybe Sony should have given Harrison Ford a try.
The movie is not as talky as the critics say. Ron Howard did a good job of animating the anagram and the last supper sequences. The learned discussion between Tom hanks and Ian MacKellar did not work as well for me. I was lost in all the yelling.
Maybe THE MAN was afraid to give too many ENGLISH lines to a FRENCH actress. Princess Sophie was left hanging around in the background. No serious joining in on the discussions. No peck in the cheek for Tom Hanks. When she finally met her grandmother, no hug. She is the main character in the movie!!! BTW she speaks the best English of anyone in the cast.
The movie did a very good job of combining multiple chapters in the book into short sequences. Maybe too good. I kept getting the feeling I am being hurried along.

Overall the movie is not as bad as the critics think. Worth a peek if you have already seen MI III.

I like the quickie copycat movie National Treasure better. Without the religious undertone baggage, it works better as a straightforward adventure.
Treasure of the Templars!
Declaration of Independance stolen!!
Historic sites in Washington, Boston, & New York!!!
Lots of puzzles, chases, even one explosion!!!!

For people who have not read the book, Da Vinci Code movie can be considered National Treasure II - International Treasure,
Treasure protected by the Templars!
Curator of the Louvre murdered!!
Historic sites in Paris & London!!!
Lots of puzzles, chases!!!!