The "best" 3 or 4 AA 3 watt flashlight?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title says, in your opinion, what is the "best" flashlight that uses 3 or 4 AA batteries, is a GOOD binned 3 watt Luxeon, . . .and has ample heatsinking to protect the LED?

Post your examples here.

Thank you!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
No guarantee of BIN, but at least the reviewers both seemed to get good Gerber LX3.0's. Some CPFers love theirs, others were not overwhelmed.

Elektrolumens XM3 is a claimed 3W light and I like mine, but others think it is underdriven. On sale now.

The Streamlight Propolymer Lux 4AA is rated as a 1W but it is brighter than a number of 3 watters, and on sale too.

Emilion used to carry a 2AA 3W LED clone which seemed to be well liked, but it's gone. now.

Tremendo

Enlightened
If you want a thrower the Streamlight PP 4 AA is a great, regulated, inexpensive light. Very bright for what it is, and great regulation.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

FWIW, I DO have a problem considering the purchase of a polycarbonate flashlight that has a Luxeon in it. Heat issues and all.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Orion said:
FWIW, I DO have a problem considering the purchase of a polycarbonate flashlight that has a Luxeon in it. Heat issues and all.

If you're referring to the Streamlight PP 4AA LED, mine doesn't get hot at all. It's one of the "coolest" lights that I have, and I haven't heard of LED heat issues with it, even though many here have the light. If you're talking about something else, my bad.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tremendo said:
If you're referring to the Streamlight PP 4AA LED, mine doesn't get hot at all. It's one of the "coolest" lights that I have, and I haven't heard of LED heat issues with it, even though many here have the light. If you're talking about something else, my bad.

No, you are correct in which light I was referring to. Being that the case is polycarbonate, . . .the heat can't be transferred to the body, so I was wondering how the heat is removed from the LED for thermal management?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat buildup in the SL PP AA Lux is a non-issue. I run mine continuously for a full set of batteries(4+ hours on nimh) several times a week. When changing the batteries afterward I've never had the aluminum reflector/heatsink be more than warm. Just because I'm curious, I'll shoot SL an email and ask if the light is thermally regulated.

Cheers. :buddies:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
No guarantee of BIN, but at least the reviewers both seemed to get good Gerber LX3.0's. Some CPFers love theirs, others were not overwhelmed.

Elektrolumens XM3 is a claimed 3W light and I like mine, but others think it is underdriven. On sale now.

The Streamlight Propolymer Lux 4AA is rated as a 1W but it is brighter than a number of 3 watters, and on sale too.

Emilion used to carry a 2AA 3W LED clone which seemed to be well liked, but it's gone. now.

Emilion doesn't carry it anymore but Dae does: http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/3w-rugged-p-394.html

Diesel_Bomber said:
Heat buildup in the SL PP AA Lux is a non-issue. I run mine continuously for a full set of batteries(4+ hours on nimh) several times a week. When changing the batteries afterward I've never had the aluminum reflector/heatsink be more than warm. Just because I'm curious, I'll shoot SL an email and ask if the light is thermally regulated.

Let it run for half an hour or so and take out the head. It's almost too hot to touch. While it likely wouldn't suffer a failure prematurely, it is a problem.

Permanent output degradation occurs much quicker at higher temperature and output is reduced at high operating temperature.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If headlamp counts, Apex might be one of the best - truly regulated, multiple brightness (also regulated), bright 3W and 4 very bright Nichia LEDs for flood, great heatsink, long runtime ..... etc. I wish there could be a hand held flashlight that have these features at the same price range.

Alan

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Gerber LX3 and am very happy with it, but the Electrolumens XM3 looks very cool!

I wonder if Maglight's new 3aa will shape up in terms of output and runtime?

I guess we'll be the first to know.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
Let it run for half an hour or so and take out the head. It's almost too hot to touch. While it likely wouldn't suffer a failure prematurely, it is a problem.

Permanent output degradation occurs much quicker at higher temperature and output is reduced at high operating temperature.

Yes, I've done exactly that. Several times. Almost too hot to touch? Hardly. Much ado about nothing; it's not a problem. :dedhorse:

Edit: SL has yet to reply about thermal regulation.

Diesel_Bomber said:
Yes, I've done exactly that. Several times. Almost too hot to touch? Hardly. Much ado about nothing; it's not a problem. :dedhorse:

Edit: SL has yet to reply about thermal regulation.

I don't know about yours. Mine gets hot enough to be unconfortable to hold the lamp assembly for more than ten seconds or so after its been on for a while.

BB62

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
I don't know about yours. Mine gets hot enough to be unconfortable to hold the lamp assembly for more than ten seconds or so after its been on for a while.

Is there a lamp assembly on an LED flashlight?

BB62

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing- Upon re-reading my post, I see that my words were rather abrupt. I'm sorry, my intention wasn't at all to be rude.

Another possibility in our difference of opinion is that human tolerances to heat and cold vary wildly. What feels very warm to you may not to me. What I DO know is that I have run more batteries through my PP Lux AA than most normal people will run through all the flashlights they own during their entire lives. When I bought a second PP Lux AA for a backup recently, I immediately compared the two with fresh alkalines from the same package. I couldn't tell any difference when in use, but I'll admit it, when white wall hunting I could make out that my older light was just barely dimmer. My girlfriend couldn't see the difference at all. Not bad, considering that my older light has had ~150 sets of batteries run through it.

BB62- Sure is. This page, fourth photo from the top.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my email box this morning:

Streamlight CS said:
We tested the 4AA Luxeon in an oven at 130F and found the LED was still safely within its temperature range so there was no need to add any thermal protection. The product has a lifetime warranty. Don't worry about it.