First post! Mag AA led conversion question...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello all,

I've been following several threads on the MiniMag AA LED conversion. I've used regular AA mags at work on a regular basis, and this mod really appeals to me. I new to "modding" lights, so I have a few qustions for you guys.
1. What kind of LED do I need for the AA conversion? Can I get it at Radio Shack?
2. What is the preferred power source? I've heard you can either use 3 N cells or 2 N cells with a AAA.
3. What other mods are needed to get the LED to work? Will it fit up to the original "bulb mount" of the AA mag?
Sorry if these questions were asked before. I did a search on the subject, but I needed a little more info before I jump into this.
I must say, this forum has told me more about lights than I would ever find out on mu own. I just recently ordered an ARC AAA from what I've read on this forum!
Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Steve

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GNSteve:
Hello all,

I've been following several threads on the MiniMag AA LED conversion. I've used regular AA mags at work on a regular basis, and this mod really appeals to me. I new to "modding" lights, so I have a few qustions for you guys.
1. What kind of LED do I need for the AA conversion? Can I get it at Radio Shack?
2. What is the preferred power source? I've heard you can either use 3 N cells or 2 N cells with a AAA.
3. What other mods are needed to get the LED to work? Will it fit up to the original "bulb mount" of the AA mag?
Sorry if these questions were asked before. I did a search on the subject, but I needed a little more info before I jump into this.
I must say, this forum has told me more about lights than I would ever find out on mu own. I just recently ordered an ARC AAA from what I've read on this forum!
Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

I used/did these things for my conversion:

- Nichia 5600mcd White LED (5mm) Trimmed the leads so that they would slot in nicely on the bi-pin bulb base (tip: when firing up for the first time, use 2AAs first to take note of the base's polarity. When you've got the polarity right, use the 3 'N's for full power)

- 3 'N' Energizer 1.5v alkaline cells

- a spacer to fill up the gap (3 N cells are shorter than 2AAs). my spacer is nothing more than a short iron bolt. you could use foil or a metal slug.

- I filed away a little of the reflector (enlarged the hole) so that a 5mm LED could fit thru with a little leeway.

- I also removed the spare bulb in the base, it isn't needed anymore!
smile.gif

If you'd like focusing ability:

- flat file your LED's lens down til you're almost at the LED's reflector cup and polish with cheap toothpaste it til smooth.

hope this helps!
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replys!
Hotfoot, couple of questions. I understand when you say to use a spacer with the N cells because of the difference in height. However, what about the diameter when compared with the AA? Do they move around in the barrel of the mag?
Also, how much use should I expect to get from the 3 N cells? How about the 2 AA's?
Lastly, where is the best source for the LED that I'm supposed to use? I checked the local Radio Shack, and the brightest white LED was about half of what I really need. Any insight appreciated!

Steve

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
why a maglite? if you still want a minimag at least buy a Brinkmann Legend and use its tailcap switch, its not a perfect fit but will work, also why only 5600mcd nichias? get the latest 6400mcd....if you want to make a LED mod, why not a Luxeon mod? use N cells with a spacer and either a 1 to 2.2ohm resistor. OR.......

Just do a search here at CPF, I do believe only a thousand people know of doing a Minimag mod.
grin.gif

tygger

Enlightened
anyone used the opalec conversion kit? just curious on what the output is and all that.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tygger:
anyone used the opalec conversion kit? just curious on what the output is and all that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the opalec conversion is pretty bright, but not bright like a luxeon star is. It does have very excellent construction in that the beam is even and smoother than any flashlight I have. EDIT: except for my surefires...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GNSteve:
Thanks for the replys!
Hotfoot, couple of questions. I understand when you say to use a spacer with the N cells because of the difference in height. However, what about the diameter when compared with the AA? Do they move around in the barrel of the mag?
Also, how much use should I expect to get from the 3 N cells? How about the 2 AA's?
Lastly, where is the best source for the LED that I'm supposed to use? I checked the local Radio Shack, and the brightest white LED was about half of what I really need. Any insight appreciated! Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still interested in the DIY route? Good for ya!
smile.gif
Yup, the 3 Ns do rattle just a little. If this annoys you, just wrap a little paper or sticky tape around to make 'em fatter. Their girth difference is really small enough not to matter.

Runtime will need some testing - Elektrolumens says it lasts "a long time"
smile.gif
2AAs will drive the LED, but it will so dim, you'll skip it unless you have a step-up regulator somewhere, but then it won't be such a simple mod anymore.

LEDs don't really wake up til you hit 3.6v or more, most stonking bright LED lights will overdrive them - keychain lites have burst voltages of 6V (or more)! 3 'N' cells is just one way of getting around the need for a regulator.

Lotsa folks here recommend http://www.whiteleds.com as a source of good white LEDs. Alternatively, you could buy a cheap gemlite keychain LED lite (or some other good cheapie) and transplant its LED. I got mine from a Gamma Ray
smile.gif

Good luck with the mod!
grin.gif

*edit:* Just checked - looks like whiteleds site is offline again - did I get that URL right?
frown.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
I recommend http://www.whitelightled.com for white LEDs - He is a reliable dealer and you can buy in small quantities (a little as 1 at a time!).

Doug P.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that guy sell LEDs in other colors? I need some yellows and greens.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tygger:
anyone used the opalec conversion kit? just curious on what the output is and all that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ATTITUDE VS OPALEC MOD MAG AA

I'm into the 17th hour of a runtime/brightness comparison of the Opalec-modified MAG AA vs the Attitude.

For the first 4-5 hours the attitude was brighter with the MAG slowly pulling equal and then slightly ahead by around the 9th hour. By the 11th-12th hour the Attitude was back in the lead and stayed that way until now when the Attitude is more than twice as bright.

Based on this admittedly casual test, if I had it to do over again, I would not purchse this conversion kit, even if I already had a MAG.

The kit itself is fine, very professionally finished and perfectly functioning. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Opalec kit. It is simply out-performed by a smaller, lighter, brighter, completely waterproof, cheaper light.

There is, however one aspect of the Opalec that I prefer. The beam color is quite close to that of the ARC AAA Le; a bit more of a whitish-Aqua, rather than blue.

Brightnorm