Diamond L.E.D light - WOW!!!!!!!!!!

litemup

Newly Enlightened
Whew, the Diamond 3w LED finally arrived a few minutes ago. All I can say is WOW!!! Well worth the wait. I put my 6-D cell Maglite and my 3-D cell Maglite with the new Diamond red/orange led replacement bulb side by side in the house, and turned them on, focused to a narrow spot. They were fixed on a white wall about 30' away. I would have to say that the 3 D cell red/orange led was about 3 times as bright as the 6 D cell stock Maglite bulb, (only a guesstemate). Blinding bright. Very, very impressed. When I have the funds, I will order a green led replacement.
Oh yes, no black spot either, when focused narrow. Can't say that about the stock bulb.:rock:

litemup:twothumbs

litemup

Newly Enlightened
AC, it is the 3 Watt LUXEON LED. I am just amazed at how much brighter it is than the stock mag bulb. Even run off of 3 D cells, much brighter than the 6 D cell stock.
What great technology.
I know this might sound crazy, but. I even grabbed my Thor 15 million cp spotlight and turned it on low. Shined them both side by side at the same white wall at about 30', the red/orange LED "appeared" almost as bright against the wall. The Thor on high, and as expected, there was no comparison.

litemup

BB62

Newly Enlightened
Can you provide a link to the product? Is it a replacement "head" for the MAG, or a seperate product?

Sounds cool!

Thanks,
BB62

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red-Orange Luxeons are known for their incredible lumen output, something on the order of 3 times what a white or most of the others are capable of at the same current.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
They've been on sale for $19.95 for a long time here:
http://www.flash-lights.com/product...ight-bulb-fits-Maglite--3--4--5-or-6-C-D.html
The red-orange is listed at 190+ lumens. This is consistent with claims made by Lumileds last winter. Yeah, I'd say that's brighter than the stock mag at < 50 lumens (for 6-D cell)

I just have to ask, why would anyone want a red-orange light though? I just assume it'd be annoying -like walking around with a lit road-flare. Talk about poor color rendition!

Bernie

FirstDsent

Enlightened
mobile1 said:
arent these the ones that are not regulated?
Regulated shmegulated! If you have (up to) 6 D-cells and 190+ lumens you will have plenty of usable light for a long, long time!

However, Current regulation would be nice. You won't get it all for $24 though.

Bernie

sniper

Enlightened
ABSOLUTELY WOW!!! Mine are great! According to Quickbeam, these are the new generation and are regulated, if I understand correctly.

Great beam, & can be set for no hole in the center. Really, the only practical use I have found for the Mag's focus ability. At ~$19+ shipping, a bargain. I have 2, but that's a long story.

Whiter than my TVIL Magmod, bright, and throw! My 3D DD Magmod is the throwbeast, and the Diamond is every bit its equal, without all the expen$e, disassembly and rewiring. I put some LCD protective film on the inside of the Diamond Mag's lens, for a slightly more floody beam. It still has enough throw for all reasonable uses.

The other night, I used it for about 20 minutes straight, with no signs of overheating or other glitches.

Miracle

Enlightened
some 1 mentioned to me that the Luxeon led bulbs has the following problems:

"it's well-known it has brightness degrading problem after sometime (not enough heat-sink)"

is this true?

:huh2:

litemup

Newly Enlightened
OK, I played with some of my lights last night. The 3x brighter during the day, (house not being completely dark), didn't give me an "accurate" guesstemate measurement. In a completely dark hallway, I'd say maybe half again as bright as the 6 cell mag with stock bulb. But still very impressive. The red/orange is simply blinding. The throw outside with the red/orange LED was comparable to the 6 cell mag. The red/orange has a more "night vision" type effect than a white light, gives more definition when shined into woods and brush. From about 40' shining into a window, the reflection of the red/orange LED is still blinding. Can't wait to try some other colored LUXEON LED'S, and maybe a white.
The LUXEON LED's screw right into the maglite. Just unscrew the original bulb and screw in the LED, it's that simple.

litemup.

PS, if you decide you want to order a Diamond Luxeon LED from the same folks I did http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=4 Make certain you order via the telephone, and get an exact ship date. They seem to have problems getting these LUXEON LED's shipped in a timely manner...

litemup

Newly Enlightened
Miracle said:
some 1 mentioned to me that the Luxeon led bulbs has the following problems:

"it's well-known it has brightness degrading problem after sometime (not enough heat-sink)"

is this true?

:huh2:

When I get back off the road Sunday morning, I'll fire it up and keep it on for say 20 minutes and try and give you a fairly accurate report to any light loss.

litemup

Miracle

Enlightened
litemup said:
When I get back off the road Sunday morning, I'll fire it up and keep it on for say 20 minutes and try and give you a fairly accurate report to any light loss.

litemup

thank you Sir!

:candle:

mpk

Newly Enlightened
litemup said:
The red/orange has a more "night vision" type effect than a white light

I was always curious about the red/orange luxeon, mainly because of the higher output. How would you characterize the color? Is there something you can compare it to, like is it the color of the turn signals we see as daylight running lamps on GM cars and some Lexus-es?

How about a screenshot? :grin2:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
litemup said:
Whew, the Diamond 3w LED finally arrived a few minutes ago. All I can say is WOW!!! Well worth the wait. I put my 6-D cell Maglite and my 3-D cell Maglite with the new Diamond red/orange led replacement bulb side by side in the house, and turned them on, focused to a narrow spot. They were fixed on a white wall about 30' away. I would have to say that the 3 D cell red/orange led was about 3 times as bright as the 6 D cell stock Maglite bulb, (only a guesstemate). Blinding bright. Very, very impressed. When I have the funds, I will order a green led replacement.
Oh yes, no black spot either, when focused narrow. Can't say that about the stock bulb.:rock:

litemup:twothumbs
Is there a donut hole in the middle, that's what put me off Mags?

chiphead

Empath

Flashaholic
Yes, there's a donut hole. It's a function of a smooth reflector and focusing. If you replace the reflector with a stipled reflector you'd loose the donut hole. You'd loose some throw too, which is the reason, I guess, that Mag keeps using the smooth reflector.