output difference between u bin and newer orb raw?

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Just how big a difference is the output between a u bin orb raw and a later one? would it be possible to replace the emitter on a newer one with a u bin or are there other differences? would it be worth it?

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Usually ther is not that much visable difference,to me it would not be worth the trouble to change it.!A good t bin could be 87 and a bad u bin could be 87 so its possible they are the same.As far as the orb goes you can average the 2 values,raw u bin is estimated at 100 lumens and a T bin average is 77 so about 20 lumens ,remember it needs to be almost 2x brighter to the eye to see a noticable difference.HTH.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you own the light or do you want to buy one?

In the second case, you can ask the manufacturer, if he will build one with a U-bin instead a T-bin.

Best regards

_____
Tom

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
bought one a couple of days ago, waiting on delivery. I was just curious really, As I seen seme u bin emittersfor sale on here for a reasonable price but I wont bother if the difference is only very small.
Thanks for the replys.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Paul6ppc:
remember it needs to be almost 2x brighter to the eye to see a noticable difference.HTH.
That's absurd. I've heard that phrase repeated on this forum a lot. It needs to be examined:

That saying also imlplies that you won't notice that a flashlight is dimming until output reaches 50% whether we're talking about a Fenix LOP, or a 6-cell K2 MagLight. I don't believe that to be true either.

If you have a Minimag with 6 lumens, you may not see an appreciable difference if you increase it to 9 lumens, but if you have a light with 100 lumens, you can't tell me that an additional 85 lumens won't be noticeable. Since we're talking about a light with around 80 lumens, an additional 30 lumens would definitely be noticeable.

Bernie

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent, that's right:thumbsup:

Perhaps you take a look to other mod.projects. Like the mod of Millermods with the L1P or L2P. I remember, the owners are happy with the upset.
(with the noticeable upset). Or Nuwai Q3, try the search function.

Best regards

____
Tom

ChrisA

Enlightened
That's absurd. I've heard that phrase repeated on this forum a lot.

no it's not absurd, it's just the way the eyes sense light. perception is logarithmic, so at the lower end small changes will make a difference, but as the light gets brighter, changes need to be more drastic to notice. btw - most senses work that way. i don't know the english term, but it's known as "weber-fechner-gesetz".

chris

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello ChrisA:)

Therefore it makes no sense to use a U-bin instead a T-bin because the human eye can't see the difference?

Though, that's absurd. In the most cases a U-bin is definitive brighter, if the datas mAh,vf, are right.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Luna

Enlightened
around 80 lumens, an additional 30 lumens would definitely be noticeable.

Very little due to optical loses. That would less than the the difference between level 5 and 6 of a u2. Noticable, definately, drastic, not really. You wouldn't notice it though without a side by side comparison.

FWIW, you typically get 10% from a T-Ubin transplant.

EDIT:

ChrisA, log function in regards to lux, not lumens...

Last edited:

ChrisA

Enlightened
In the most cases a U-bin is definitive brighter, if the datas mAh,vf, are right.

the data may very well indicate that, but vision is not comparable to a light sensor. as the brightness increases the eyes will get less sensitive to changes. e.g. you will recognize a 5% increase in brightness at low levels but the same 5% increase will go unnoticed at high levels...

chris

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisA

A T-bin has 67-87 Lumen, so we take the middle=72 Lumen,

a U-bin has 87-113 Lumen, so the middle is 100 Lumen.

I don't speak of 5%. We can math, the U-bin has about 40% more Lumen than the T-bin. I don't say, it's real 40% brighter. I say it's definitive, noticeable brighter.

If not, why all the guys want to get a X-bin LuxV? In your opinion, a W-bin is not noticeable less bright.

Best regards

____
Tom

Luna

Enlightened
Most of the guys wanting xbins so bad also don't realize the likes of the Mr-X are driven to 1.5amps also. At spec, you would probably be in the same boat as the u vs t bin

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Luna

A X-bin driven at 1500mAh is at the specs.
A T-bin should be driven 755-875 and a U-bin 875-1050 mAh.

For example a trilux-light. You take 3xT-bin and save energy in comparison of 3xU-bin, both driven at the specs, and will have about the same visible brightness?

Best regards

____
Tom

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
I don't actually have both at the present time but this is what it looks like to me using online data. I have found 75 watt light bulbs listed at 1200 lumens and 100 watt bulbs listed at 1600 watts. This seems to imply that all things equal, the difference between the two bins would be the difference between using a 75 watt bulb and a 100 watt bulb. Both can light up a room fairly good but the 100 watt would be significantly brighter.

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
My raw arrived today and I`m very impressed, more than bright enough, no point in messing around with it. thanks for the input.

Luna

Enlightened
I had a page long post that didn't come thru yester day Ugggggg.

Short answer Long John,

You never know if the bin you have is at the min or max spec. So you can sometimes change to a ubin and gain nothing, but sometime you gain a whole lot. It is a gamble. If the emitter can be changed in a nondestructive way then go for it. Otherwise the gameble may not be worth it and unless you are OC, the 10% more that you are most likely to see is not worth the gamble or cost. I'd rather just over drive the T bin and replace it if it burns out.

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
My Orb Raw (on high) is about as bright as my U2 on level 5. My U2 on level 6 is very noticeably brighter, thank god.

I reckon an Orb Raw that could match my U2 would be fantastically crazy bright, given the Raw's size, so I am a bit disappointed that my Raw only has a T-bin. Then again, it is already bright enough to spoil me for other lights. I couldn't buy, say, a Gladius or an HDC that was only 60 or 70 lumens. I am very glad my U2 is 110+ and brighter.

And now I can't buy any more torches until the technology improves.

Luna

Enlightened
"My Orb Raw (on high) is about as bright as my U2 on level 5. My U2 on level 6 is very noticeably brighter, thank god."

See Im' a bit spoiled with my u2. It has a hotspot on par with my gladius but probably lights up over 4 times more area with similar brightness :) That WW0S is a sweet emitter. Before the swap, the u2 was close to 120lumens when compared against other lights of know output (obviously not very scientific) The new one is putting out close to my ultra stinger in a ceiling bounce.

So to stay on topic, this is a case where I got lucky on an emitter swap.... very lucky :D