Ready for the 'Black Ti Event'

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the planned host for my WWOS, adjustable focus, tower module.

If I find time to finish it.
grinser2.gif

I wanted to make something out Ti, that didn't require threading. My A3 crenelated bezel ring fiasco, was enough excitement for while.
ohgeez.gif

I also wanted to find out how much is too much, for a press fit between a hardcoated part, and some Titanium. I went very light, .0007 to .0012. The two parts made a very interesting sound when I pressed them together. I don't know what the limit would be, but from the sound, light press is good enough.

I would have liked four scoop cuts, for a detonator look, but the O.D. of this blank is a bit small for that. Maybe on the next one.

The black HA turned out nice and dark with the last run of parts, it's not as glossy and fluid looking, like the type II SFTH and the switch, but it is pretty darn close. I save something good for myself, once and a while. :grin2:

The Ti ring is not polished, this is right off the lathe. When surface speed and feed rate are correct, this stuff machines beautifully. If you plan all the machining steps correctly, there will be no burrs to remove.

More photos from the coffee table.

Thanks for looking,

TB

Last edited: