Found 2 bulb-less Surefires in my stuff, 6p and 3p now what?

crestgel

Newly Enlightened
I found an old 6p and 3p in a box yesterday. They just need new bulbs to get them working. At this point I already have a working 6p, e2d, and z2. I'm thinking about converting my new found 6p and 3p over to LED. What is the best way to get some good LED power out of these?

3p6p.jpg

3p6p_2.jpg

Last edited:

crestgel

Newly Enlightened
Stillphoto said:
Can I assume a 3P would be a single cell P series?

Yes a 3p is a single cell 6p

I just added a pic of them

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I believe the 3P is a discontinued light that is not very common (thought not exceptionally rare), just not common. My understanding is that they made small runs of them for several years and then quit.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand they made quite a few 3Ps, along with some in presentation sets or stuff like that. Didn't sell well because it's so dim. The one in the picture looks like one of the later ones. Newer than the 6P shown.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the coolest thing you can do with the 3P is something I saw someone else do in a picture... using the one-cell Detonator extender to turn it into a 6P with "tactical" grip flanges. Of course you'll have to use a 6v lamp instead of the 3P's 3v lamp.

Delvance

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums! I'd suggest getting one of those 1W or 3W dropin LED modules from various sellers (www.lighthound.com or www.bugoutgearusa.com etc) for the 6P. I'm not sure on the 3P though, maybe get the SF KL-1 head for it ?

Btw, with those 3W dropin modules, you can use 3.6V LIon rechargeables, not sure about the 1W one though.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently searched for an LED module for my 3P (actually, a clone I made out of an L30 weaponlight lamp module and a sawed-off A19. :)) and various forum members recommended Emilion's led modules. He's got ones that work in the 3V range. Check out his profile and visit his site. Good stuff there.

I have not yet gotten around to buying one, so I can't say I know first hand, but they look top notch.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put them up for sale in the B/S/T forum. I'm sure that 3P would fly right outta there. :)

Really I wish Surefire would re-introduce the 3P....the new style body with the Detonator extender Delvance mentioned would ROCK!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Put them up for sale in the B/S/T forum. I'm sure that 3P would fly right outta there. :)

Really I wish Surefire would re-introduce the 3P....the new style body with the Detonator extender Delvance mentioned would ROCK!

Heh heh heh.... KDOG, you read my mind. I have EXACTLY that in mind for my 3P-enstein.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had many 3P's in the past and in many different colors. In the '90's, I EDC'd one for over five years. I don't know why they're so collectible now as I sold my last two red ones here on CPF about two year agos for $30.00 each. Hey but that's neat that they are so collectible now as I've seen them sell here for up to $90.00 for mint examples!

SF made thousands of them and they came in many different colors and were a big hit, (as ABTOMAT alluded to), as many companies had their logos printed on them with custom colors.

The output of the R30 LA used in the 3P was about the same as the E1's MN01 LA which isn't bad at all. SF simply replaced them with the E1 as the E1 is much more compact and as bright.