Mag 3D vs Mag 85

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about building or buying a Mag 85. I see a lot of referrences to it as having 8-900 lumens of output. For comparison, what's the output of an unmodded Mag 3D?

Also, I'm kind of worried by what I've read about catastrophic bulb failure. How likely is that? I don't want to have to worry every time I put in freshly charged batteries if they've been sitting around long enough.

VWTim

Enlightened
thesurefire said:
An unmodded 3D on fresh batteries is proabably putting out around 70-80 lumens.

The new Mag ratings, rate it at 80, which is a gross overstatement. I think they're closer to 40 lumens.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's a stretch.

Maglite rates the stock lamp at 76 and the xenon at 82, but those are bulb lumens.

Through the window, that's about 45-55 lumens, and that's on fresh batteries as you turn it on. If it's been sitting awhile, count on 35-45 tops.

Bill

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Now I really want to see the 85 in operation :).

This seems like a stupid question but what is the advantage of a longer D mag? Is the 6D brighter or the batteries just last longer?

lexina

Enlightened
VWTim said:
The new Mag ratings, rate it at 80, which is a gross overstatement. I think they're closer to 40 lumens.

The new Mag ratings are most likely bulb lumens. The old Mag rating for the 3D (krypton bulb) was 42 lumens which is closer to the output lumens.

Robban

Enlightened
Compared to a Mag85 the stock 3D looks pathetic :) Comparing my L4 which is rated at 100lumens by SureFire next to my Mag85 the L4 looks like a coin cell light :D

As for instaflashing bulbs. It seems that when using 9AA's it isn't much of a problem. The stories differ. Some people claim that fresh off the charger they get blown bulbs, others say that it has never happened to them. What type of batteries you're using and the resistance in the switch are two factors that come into play. If I average out what I've read it seems that letting the pack rest for an hour after being charged you should be just fine.

Personally I've blown two bulbs but that was after they had been turned on for a minute or two. I suspect that something went wrong in the potting process (I now use bi-pins) or that I accidently got some oil on them. Making sure the bulbs are absolutely clean is a must.

If you're very worried you could always get a regulator for it aswell. There are two options on CPF right now. One is the PIR1 made by winny (the one I use). The first batch is sold out but he's working on a new version of the regulator and also a drop-in solution. Another option is the Hot Driver by andrewwynn which you can get pre-assembled if you want. Both are sold in the "CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T" part of the forum.

Get one, you will not be dissapointed :)

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast