Budget cuts imperil EPA library system

cy

Flashaholic
Budget cuts imperil EPA library system

"U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials are proposing to cut funding by 80% for the agency's national library network, a system that supports the research needs of thousands of EPA staff scientists and enforcement personnel, environmental biologists and ecologists in academia and industry, and members of the general public."

http://www.thescientist.com/news/display/23221/

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fear the only use for my lights in the future will be to view the carnage left behind after these mistakes all take their effect....thank the Lord I have no children to follow me.....

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone squeals when the gravy train is cut off. I'd like to see a lot more reduction in federal spending - across the board - but I'm a nutty "balance the books" kind of guy who thinks that spending shouldn't exceed revenue.

I'm satified with the EPA's statement: "EPA is working to modernize an outdated system by streamlining our physical collections and making them available on-line to provide more information to a wider group of people -- including scientists."

cheers!

cy

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
I'm satified with the EPA's statement: "EPA is working to modernize an outdated system by streamlining our physical collections and making them available on-line to provide more information to a wider group of people -- including scientists."

cheers!
ya...did you note the next paragraph? where's the $$ going to come from to put it on line?

"But many of EPA's reports and documents exist only in print and must be converted into digital format to be available on-line, a process for which no budget presently exists. "Virtually everything the agency had done before 1990, which is a considerable volume of work, is largely in hard-copy format," said Jeff Ruch, executive director of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), a nonprofit whistleblower group that first drew attention to the library controversy."