more torch mods...

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
More torch mods caried out today...I can see why this hobby can be so addictive! Today I converted 3 bulbs and 1 torch to LED, nothing fancy, just plain ol' GaAs reds I had lying around my home. Evrybody is mesmerised by the highly intense light from the torches. I might be overdriving the LED's a little bit as I've gone for direct drive off ZnC batteries. This is the same as my 1st torch mod, and the LED and the batteries both seem to be ok in that torch...
I've compensated for the overdriving by making sure the torches I have contain substantial amounts of metal... the leads to these large masses of metal are nice and short, and the LED doesn't get noticeably hot, even after 1/2 hour of operation.
These torches were mainly built to practice my bulbmaking and torch-modding and will not be sold.
I'm hoping to get hold of some really bright 5 and 10 mm LED's soon. Now I've perfected some of these skills I will be using more expensive and brighter LED's such as Nichia cyans and the 36000 mcd yellow 10 mm LEd i found on the Hosfelt Web site. That's if I can buy in the UK of course...Thomas Alva Edison still rules here in the torch world!
watch this space as I prepare to start production of the EMPOWERTORCH BTx series and some cool mods of existing torches...