Difference between TV1L emitter and UX1K emitter?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to replace emitter on my BOG 3W drop in. The TV1L is $13 and the UX1K is $30. Is it worth the extra money?

vortechs

Enlightened

grnamin

Enlightened
If you are concerned with tint, may I suggest a TX0x (e.g. TX0H) or UX0x (e.g. UX0J) emitter? I though TW0x or UW0x binned emitters were very white until I tried a TX0H. I would venture to say that a UX0J would be similarly whiter than a UW0K. I think the TW0H is still available from PhotonFanatic.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3, it seems from your other posts that you are biased against the cooler color LEDs (nothing personal, just an observation :) ). So, I'm guessing you are more of an incandescent fan. Based on that, I would stay away from the X0, Y0, YA, WA tints. For you I would guess that W0 will be the whitest biased to the warm side of the spectrum. Also, the UX1J's that PhontonFanatic has been selling have been very white as well, but X1's from others can sometimes have a greenish tint. I have heard and can understand from visual experience that the V1 tint is good for outdoor lighting and color rendition. The V1 tint will also be closest in color to incandescent if your looking from that. Also, I would get the lowest Vf you can get. I recommend getting a K-Vf or lower for the module. I would sacrafice a lower Vf over a higher flux rating. Meaning I would choose a TW0J over a UW0K, but that is strictly for this specific application.

Either way, I would guess that PhotonFanatic will have the best prices and best selection. :thumbsup:

-DF

Luna

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Going to replace emitter on my BOG 3W drop in. The TV1L is $13 and the UX1K is $30. Is it worth the extra money?

Look at the bill for the biggest difference :)

grnamin

Enlightened
Be sure to isolate the positive and negative leads of the emitter and the wires leading to the converter board. If you look at the original setup, you'll see sleeves isolating the leads from the aluminum heat sink. I screwed up during my mod attempt. I cut off the sleeves and threw them away before I realized what they were there for. I ended up transplanting the BOG's converter board into my KL4. I added a TX0H to it so I'm still a happy camper. :)

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm, ok. I just opened mine up, but I can't see the leads cuz they're under all the white heat goop. What do you use to get that off?

Another question - How does the emitter attatch to the heatsink? With that arctic adhesive compound, right?

Does it matter which ends of the emitter the leads attatch to? Or can it go either way? Any tools you can suggest?