Introduction and flashlight conversion suggestion

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Everyone,

As one of your newest members I'd just like to introduce myself. I've been following the posts in this forum since I discovered it about 2 months ago. I've been in contact with a couple of you by e-mail off and on also. I thought I would start by suggesting an inexpensive but rugged little flashlight that makes a good conversion to LED general purpose household and "walking around in the dark"
light.

The flashlight is the Rayovac Sportsman Camper. It's available at Walmart for about $4.00. It's a four AA flashlight with the cells arranged side by side in 2 rows of 2. As a result it's only 6" long and very compact. The body of the light is completely sealed except for the switch and is made from a tough dark green plastic. The head is black and 1 ¾ inches in diameter and separated from the body with a bright yellow O ring. The light also has a rubber lanyard that can easily be replaced with anything else should it break.

I performed the old "smash the bulb conversion" and wired in 2 Nichia 5600 mcd white LEDs running at a conservative 27 ma apiece. I didn't care for the effect of the so called fresnel lens so using it as a template, I made a new one out of plexiglass. It fit perfectly. Lastly, although the reflector did concentrate the beam somewhat, I didn't care for the rings in the beam so I sanded the reflector with Scothbrite. That provided a much more even beam.

This flashlight will light up a whole room even if your eyes aren't dark adapted. It may not stand up to some of the tests that Telephony puts them through. It's definitely not water proof but probably fairly water resistant. I tossed it across the room onto the floor and it suffered no damage whatsoever.
grin.gif
I wouldn't run over with a car LOL but it should stand up to most normal abuse.

I'd certainly like to hear if anyone else has tried this one. Suggestions for improvement are certainly welcome.
smile.gif

Mark

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mark,

This sounds like a good light. The only thing that might make it a little better would be to use 4 LEDs if you can fit them and some of those lithium AA batteries. They are kind of expensive but they have a 10 year shelf life and work well in the winter if you happen to be outside below zero.
smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard Mark. Always nice to have another LEDhead in the ranks. (Can I claim copyrite on that LEDhead word?)
smile.gif

Have fun!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brad,

Thanks for the lithium battery suggestion. Below is a link to a picture of the flashlight I converted with specs:
http://www.rayovac.com/products/flashlights/onelight.php3?sku_num=SP4AA

This link is a picture of a different model with the same construction but a better viewing angle for those who are interested.
http://www.rayovac.com/products/flashlights/onelight.php3?sku_num=V4AA

RonM,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't know if you can copyright it but "LEDHead sounds good to me!
grin.gif

Mark

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi
I'm not one to slam. I did pick up one of those Ray-O-Vacs a couple of months back and was very disappointed with it. It feels cheap, you can over thighten the head too easily, and I found the slide switch to be completly unreliable. It ended up hitting the trash. I wish I had spent two more bucks and picked up a craftsman from Sears or a dorcy. I like having a push-button switch.
I like that other 4AA at Wally's except for the cheap little compass they stuck on the head.
Just my two cents, shoot now I'm broke<g>
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw the one with the compass on it. It's a nice flashlight but there looks to be a hole in the reflector used to light up the compass. Don't know if I really need something like that. On second thought... I probably don't need all the flashlights I have either
wink.gif