Your lights seem dimmer ??

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do your torches seem to become dimmer over time? Does it seem as though they aren't as bright as they were when you first got them and it's time to get a better one?

OK, we all know that it's just because you become accustomed to how bright it is and your quest to find brighter and better but now I have a solution. Stop comparing your new light to the last one and go dig into your cupboard for that old stock 2D Maglight you didn't touch for years. Put a couple of new cells in it and compare that to your latest light. There, feel better ??
Finish by reminding yourself that stock Mags are what the 'normal' public think are top of the range.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Jay R said:
Do your torches seem to become dimmer over time? Does it seem as though they aren't as bright as they were when you first got them and it's time to get a better one?

...Stop comparing your new light to the last one and go dig into your cupboard for that old stock 2D Maglight you didn't touch for years.
:crackup: Guilty as charged, your honor; except that I usually whip out my 4D Mag. :) Don't get me wrong, Mags are good and have a niche, yada-yada-yada... but, my other lights are so much brighter in a fraction of the size that you can't help feeling a little awed at that power.

Illum

Flashaholic
Is it true that the longer you work your lights the more efficient your luxeon's output will be?

For me, I'm beginning to think my lights are in fact getting brighter...either that or my eyesight is degrading...:awman:

Im only 19 and I already have the eyesight of a mole...yes, the rodent, the sluggish ground-dwelling pain in the @$$...

roguesw

Enlightened
yes, i was guilty of this too, my lights began to look dimmer and dimmer to me the more i use it. yes its because you get used to the light however,
i have an even simpler trick.
close your eyes, wait till they are dark adapted
then turn on your lights, for the first few seconds, its blinding bright and
i always say ahhhhhh

but then again, with LED's if it seems dimmer, just mod them lol :)

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
It only really happens when I am using my mag85 for a while, the switch to the SL 4AA luxeon, which I know is plenty bright, but doesn't really seem so.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Illum_the_nation said:
Is it true that the longer you work your lights the more efficient your luxeon's output will be?..[/size]

LED's get dimmer, not brighter over time. Unfortunately.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
LED's get dimmer, not brighter over time. Unfortunately.

In some cases, especially with Lux IIIs, the Vf COULD drop during the frist 100 hours of operation, which increases the efficiency of the light. I think this was observed with some WWOS LuxVs by some guys here where they could DD the LuxV with 2 CR123s with decent output.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
In some cases, especially with Lux IIIs, the Vf COULD drop during the frist 100 hours of operation, which increases the efficiency of the light. I think this was observed with some WWOS LuxVs by some guys here where they could DD the LuxV with 2 CR123s with decent output.

I'm DDing a WWAS with 2 x 3v Li-ons and they are exactly where I want them. 420ma batt draw, which gives me about 1.5 hrs of runtime. Output seems a little low by my litebox for a W-bin, but its lotsa light in its own right.

I believe 2 primary 123as would be just as nice!

(I only went DD cuz my DB500 went bad for some reason and I accidentally damaged my other DB500 :( I think I have a couple of hundred dollars in my failed mods graveyard)

Latest posts