In a way, we're helping the world

Illum

Flashaholic
Without this site:
People will be wondering aimlessly in the dark
People think of flashlights of "candle bright"
The world would be scattered full of unelightened folks

therefore:
In a power emergency: looting, confusion, widespread candles and wimpy lights that die with a accidential thud on the carpet floor...

With this site:
More conscious people
Inspired few into light science, engineering et al
More purchases of lights and batteries FROM THE US NOT FROM CHINA

Heck...I might one day name my son's middle name Lumen...

Any thoughts on the benefits from the forum??

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a new memeber a year or so ago I had mixed opinions. For one, the site uses a lot of tech terms and other terms only known to site used, like the sandwich and club shops.

I was rather shocked when it was suggested I use a blue led to help with reading and nearsidedness. YOu take a lot of info from the web with a grain of salt, but man, that was dead on.

What I would like to see or think we could do was to make a solar recharagable led lamp, maybe for third world countries. Something like a solar candle that could go a few days and put out more light, but thats just me.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Thats what I wanted to hear...
For me, I would still be feeling "all powerful" having a stock minimag on my belt....alas..

And a Solitaire on my keyring :crackup:

The Solitaire is retired.... it has earned its retirement well. I really did appreciate it being there for me when I needed it most, though.

Today, it's a Surefire E1e with 3rd-generation 'ringed' KL1 delivering some SERIOUS lumens when needed :D

Illum

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
And a Solitaire on my keyring :crackup:

The Solitaire is retired.... it has earned its retirement well. I really did appreciate it being there for me when I needed it most, though.

Today, it's a Surefire E1e with 3rd-generation 'ringed' KL1 delivering some SERIOUS lumens when needed :D

a E1E is still way larger than the solitaire, but the beam it casts is enough for a beatdown..of solitaire's beam

carrot

Flashaholic
Without this site... I'd still have some spare money.

With it, now I have a few lights to put the flashlights of unenlightened folk to shame.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Without this site... I'd still have some spare money.

With it, now I have a few lights to put the flashlights of unenlightened folk to shame.

In hope of a luminous next generation... wher our sons and daughters may one day join this forum and put more unelightened folks to shame, thats what this forum is about isn't it? to spread the word

dragoman

Enlightened
I just like flashlights......and you guys have all the good ones, dammit.

*off to B/S/T again.....sigh*

dragoman

ddaadd

Enlightened
This has been a fascinating hobby for me. I'm somewhat a tech nurd and it fits well here.

I have certainly influenced the folks around me, sis in law says, " you ruined it for me using the $4.95 wally world flashlights." The fellas I work with get their minimags upgraded with smjled and I show them where to get thier own for freinds and family. Several have purchased beyond the Mags.

One of the joys I get from my collection is showing them off to the uninformed and seeing their jaws drop. The best flashlight 98% of the folks I know ever see or use is a 2D Mag. I have nearly all my lights fitted to cases for travel, they do little good sitting on a display shelf.

It hasn't been too costly or difficult to build a collection of "World Class"
flashlights. They are meant to be seen....

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
a E1E is still way larger than the solitaire, but the beam it casts is enough for a beatdown..of solitaire's beam

The Arc AAA Premium is the same size as the Solitaire and most definitely wipes it out ;)

Walterk

Enlightened
Main benifit of CPF IMO is knowledge:

- Learn what light and lights is about. ( and understand Led is not matured at all for household applications.)
- Know what the reviews tell you before you do a purchase so you spend money wise.

And while you point it out that firm;
I do not see any point in buying specifically a light sold from the US.
Exporting more and importing less would benefit the US though.
But where do the high grade Leds and batteries come from?
Selling imported goods from the US benifices the US seller mainly I think.
But I am not the consumer that is going to pay for that. For most part I buy what suits my needs best.

Last edited: