Inova rant !!!!

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
I had purchased an X5 at Target several months ago and noticed it was brighter than my older two X5s, one with fluted tube and another I got right when they switched to the new hexagon style. Im talking about a visable brightness of what looked like 5 lumens or more at least.

I contacted Inova CS and they said very plainly that they were using the same LEDS and circuitry as the older X5s I have and I was very specific in asking. Only thing they could recommend is sending the older two back? I even posted here about whether LEDs get weaker over time and if that could have been the cause. I also cleaned the tailacap a bit which did help but still was no where near the brightness of the new one.

Then last week I find this review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm
and it seems they are using new Nichia LEDs which would explain the brightness variance. I ended up selling all my X5s as the only conclusion I could come to at the time was they used crappy LEDs that weaken after 20 hrs of use. The CS rep and members I talked to here thought I was crazy and kept telling me to change the batteries, plz im new but not stupid.

I will go to Target in the next few days and get a new X5 and I still think they make great lights but I am kind of :scowl: about this. At least now I know im not the crazy one, Inova is lol.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
Then I find this review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm
and it seems they are using new Nichia LEDs which would explain the brightness variance. I ended up selling all my X5s as the only conclusion I could come to at the time was they used crappy LEDs that weaken after 20 hrs of use. The CS rep and members I talked to here thought I was crazy and kept telling me to change the batteries, plz im new but not stupid.

So, when you learn that the difference in brightness is due to a component *upgrade*, your first thought is that the previous parts were "crappy"? Are you mad at Dell for selling "crappy" 80486 computers in the 90's too?

The "new Nichia" LED's (the CS) implement better technology that results in up to twice as much light as previous models (the BS, IIRC) given the same Vf and current. Inova just recently upgraded the X5 line to the new diodes; IIRC they started showing up at Target and other retailers early this year. I've got the original black X5, which has seen at most 5 hours of use (i.e. they haven't "faded"), and on fresh batteries it is just a bit more than half as bright as the CS-equipped unit I bought in March.

That means that your older lights had older technology, not "crappy" LED's; they were good *for their day*.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Canuke said:
So, when you learn that the difference in brightness is due to a component *upgrade*, your first thought is that the previous parts were "crappy"? Are you mad at Dell for selling "crappy" 80486 computers in the 90's too?

The "new Nichia" LED's (the CS) implement better technology that results in up to twice as much light as previous models (the BS, IIRC) given the same Vf and current. Inova just recently upgraded the X5 line to the new diodes; IIRC they started showing up at Target and other retailers early this year. I've got the original black X5, which has seen at most 5 hours of use (i.e. they haven't "faded"), and on fresh batteries it is just a bit more than half as bright as the CS-equipped unit I bought in March.

That means that your older lights had older technology, not "crappy" LED's; they were good *for their day*.

Maybe I did not make my point that way I should have. After I could not get any satisfaction as to why the new light was so much brighter I had come to the conclusion that the LEDs must just get dull over time thus got rid of them. I did not find the review till last week. And no im not mad because they use better parts now, im mad because they had no idea of the upgrade to thier own flashlights and acted like there was something wrong with BOTH my older flashlights. I just feel that a CS rep should know more about thier own product than a second party on the internet. Is that too much to ask?

And ALL Dell computers suck! lol

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel you spongebob, but on the other hand, how do you explain to your frequent customer that NOW you use NEW AND IMPROVED technology over the last version? Sure they will boldly print on a bad of chips that they are made with REAL POTATOES or what ever, but you just cant do that with electronics.

I too hate to buy something, just to discover a new version was released, thats better and cheaper. Kind of like computers. Nothing like setting your computer to your liking, registering it, filling out all the paper work, etc to just discover the next model is out and a few hunder bucks cheaper than the one you just purchased.