Have you applied to work at the big box stores?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I have my wheels and they still run, Ive applied to at least 6 stores. Most are places I shop and like to go to.

For the most part, many were straight forward. Just the basic contact info, work history, when avaliable. This was for a few supplement stores and auto parts.

I then went to apply to a few box stores that use the computer to accept applications. Man, what a lot of questions they ask.

As a former psyc student, I know many times they throw in test questions and also I get too technical.

One question that haunts me is the one, have you ever stolen anything before? Sounds like a trick question, kind of like, do you like everybody.

The others were straight forward and somewhat hallirious. Do you know people who have stolen before? How much have they stolen? How much have you stolen? Did you return the stolen goods?

Then one place had an interesting test, 60 questions, pick one of thre words to describe yourself. Dependable, Honest, Well Groomed. Man, you cant loose can you?

Then they ask what position you are applying for and you can apply for only one. One store keeps your resume on file for a year.

Not having any experience in retail, thieft prevention, lot attended, etc, I just picked the stocking option for two stores and team leader for a third.

I answered all the questions honestly, so maybe I will hear back from them. One auto store said they needed drivers and wanted a copy of my driving record. I havent sent it in as I have had my license for a week and am not too familiar with the area.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have mentle illness so id guess id faill that test but i dont think they can fire me or anything cause the laws for the disabled i aint sure though i always been bad at jobs i work hard but i dont deal well with the stress

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Some stores you can do those type of applications at home on your own computer.

I started driving pizza when I was 17 (local mom and pop store-off the books).. gave me a lot of behind the wheel time.

I wouldn't recoomend it with your cargo van however.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I hate those questions too. If you say no, you've never stolen anything they know you're also a lier ;) I still have a pack of post it notes from the last job that I really should have left in my desk when I left, does that count?

Loss prevention can be a fascinating part of the business to get into. Being a basically honest person (though with mostly a bad attitude ;) ) I was completely floored to learn just how much stuff people steal from stores and just how brazen and obvious and stupid they are about it most of the time. I have shared some stories from the time i spent working with some of those folks around here before, they are great.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No word from the all but one box store. I was turned down for a stocker boy position. Another catalog store said they were unable to further process my application and thanked me for applying.