Question to those in law enforcment and use tac. tail switches?...

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I want to know how a tail cap switch can be comfortable on a long/ (heavier) size light in tactical situations. What are your experiences?

I understand that on a smaller light like the size of G2 or TL-3 it's easy to hold the light balanced and use the tail switch all in one hand. I can't find it to be easy to turn On a larger/longer light at a tail switch comfortably with speed balanced in one hand.

I think that large lights with Non tail cap switches are faster and easier to turn on with one hand in situations where speed is important. For those in L.E. professions what do you like better tail cap switches on large lights or regular side switches?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the larger LE lights have a switch on the side. It is the smaller, easier to handle "tactical lights" that have the tailcap switches.

Larger rechargable lights that are popular with LEO's are the Streamlight SL series (SL-20X and SL-35X) and the MagCharger. To a lesser extent are the Pelican M11 and M12. All these are side mounted switches. The only exception would be the Surefire 10X.

It is the smaller lights that have the tailcap switches. All the Surefires, Streamlight ProPoly series, Streamlights TL series, Pelican M6, etc. Here the exception would be the Streamlight Stinger.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the regular stinger and it is not really too big or heavy for my tastes.
I would prefer the tailcap version (Stinger XT) as opposed to the sideswitch.
Personally I find that for myself the tailcaps are faster. Just draw and press the end with your thumb, depending on design and placement, I find it can take longer to index the side switch on other lights.
Practice makes perfect, your mileage may vary.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea of having the switch easy to find at one end of the light in high stress, emergency situations is valid, I think. Finding a side switch with one hand could be awkward and slow as you rotate the light until your finger or thumb finds the switch.

The tailcap switch also lends itself well to the Harries hold, which a well known trainer and ex-SWAT cop, is a proponent of. Especially because he used the Harries technique in his shooting incidents.

Here's an exercise you could try. Put your flashlight in your belt holster and your [unloaded] gun in your holster. Pull both out as fast as possible to simulate coming up on target. I think you'll find the side switch takes longer to get to and big lights in general are awkward when used in conjunction with a gun.

Sgtbjs

Newly Enlightened
From my experiences using maglights and surefires for tactical usage i'd say that a large light is uncomfortable to use in any real tactical situation. maglights are particularly hard to use (for me) with a firearm, becuase (after you've found the switch) you end up trying to use your little finger to turn the light on and off.

I'd say that a switch on the end of a large light would also be hard too use, becuase of the balance issue.

I havne't used one, but I like the look of the tiger light, with the switch on the side, but near the tailcap end of the light, so that you can hold it in a tactical grip and still use your pinter finger to operate the switch.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
In a situation where a light is needed quickly almost all officers I know will use a smaller light with a tail switch. I myself use a Wolf-Eyes 9D Raider as a main light and yes it has a tail switch. It works everytime and I always know where it is with no rolling of the light in my hands to find the switch.

I know many officers who use a small light on tactical situations and will often switch to a larger side switch light for field interviews of suspects. This puts a suspect at a much closer distance and you never know what they may be thinking.The light is held like you would a spear if you were going to throw it overhanded just above the shoulder. This allows an officer to see his suspect and if anything goes wrong the light can quickly be swung straight forward as a last minute impact weapon. This is only possible with a larger light with side switch activation as it keeps the hand closer to the bezel with the heavier body far to the rear for more leverage if it must be used in a strike. Most often a side switch light can be very effective with a simple flick of the wrist as an officer is already holding it as if it were a club over his shoulder anyway.

There are really places for both style of lights in police work and I choose to carry both. The exception is that my Wolf-Eyes stays with me on my belt while on duty as the larger side switch light rides in my duty bag.

Repetition can help any officer if they choose to carry a larger side switch light as a main light. Practice always placing the light in your holster the same way each time after use. Also practice the very same draw technique and try to always draw the light with the fingers in the same place on the light. With practice and repetition a quick activation will always be achieved out of instinct and doing it the same exact way each time. It will seem like second nature to an officer who has done this several hundred times and each time knows that his fingers will hit that switch each time he reaches down to deploy the light.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Here's an exercise you could try. Put your flashlight in your belt holster and your [unloaded] gun in your holster. Pull both out as fast as possible to simulate coming up on target. I think you'll find the side switch takes longer to get to and big lights in general are awkward when used in conjunction with a gun.

I don't ever see the need to draw both the light and the gun simultaneously (even though this is a drill we do on our dept.) If I don't have a light out then apparently there is enough light to identify a target as a threat and to respond by drawing my weapon. In that case it is better to use 2 hands and shoot the gun as accurately as possible. The other possibility is that I already have the light out and have identified a threat by shining the light at it. Then I need to draw my weapon and engage the target. My light should already be in a position to function, there is no fumbling for the side switch.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually, I have my flashlight in hand long before my gun (which I rarely have in hand).

However, there have been times when both needed to be deployed near simultaneously. It may not be an everyday thing, but it does happen. A pursuit bailout in the dark is one example.

When it does, you won't be able to use your gun hand to rotate a Stinger or Maglite in your flashlight hand to index the button. You'll have to fumble around with it until you find the button. Under stress, while running, this is asking a lot.

I mention it because during the low-light exercises with the above mentioned trainer, he had us doing this drill on a fast moving target. Sometimes, you couldn't get a shot off if everything wasn't up and operational quickly.

Rochestercop

Newly Enlightened
When using a side switched light, espescially a larger one, the "neck index" hold works well. Easy to use in interview stance, and quick to shine light in dummies' face or use light as "immediate impact tool".

dragoman

Enlightened
I'll agree that on a larger light the tailswitch doesn't make sense.

I recently got a chance to play with an M6 at PhotonFest, the HUGE tail cap and switch was awkward, as you can't really hold it comfortably in a tactical grip.

dragoman

dragoman

Enlightened
I didn't say the M6 was huge, I said that compared to the rest of my lights with tailswitchs the one on the M6 was huge.

It really is difficult to operate one-handed, and I take a Large size glove myself.

dragoman

dragoman

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, I was very impressed with the light.....incredible output. But I do wish the switch was on the side of the light (like a mag).

That would make it even better, IMHO...

dragoman

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Surefire M6, and find it a little unwieldy in my small (medium size gloves) hands. The size hasn't been problematic. Tailcaps switches are really awkward to use when you are running, though.

I'll bet there are quite a few people who couldn't reliably hold the M6 switch, because of their hand/thumb size. For them, an M4 or even M3/M3T would be the better choice.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
In over 30 years of operational policing, I have YET to fire my gun, let alone had both the gun and my illumination tool out at the same time.

Up to about 2000, I was used to carrying a 3 or 4 D aluminum, or even 5 D cheap plastic, light, then a 3 C aluminum light, of my own, then the Polystinger issued to the car. That year I field-trained a member who was carrying a Stinger XT, as he did low-light shooting at our Academy; I was both cheap and unknowledgeable then, and wondered about the need for such a light.

Now, however, I carry a Pila GL3 and MXDL 3 AAA 3 watt LED all the time on my belt, and only occasionally taking out the Polystinger just to exercise the battery stick, or my Mag 3 C just so I remember why I no longer use it much (a TerraLux 3 watt LED module makes it a much better light!!)

While I prefer smaller, brighter and lighter type lights, I kind of regret not jumping on any sales of Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phasers that occasionally come up. I will eventually replace my MXDL with an LED Logic Striker VG, so I will then have both a tail-cap switch incan/LED hybrid (the GL3) and a side-switch LED. Call me indecisive, not a problem; I just hate the dark!