Frankenstein's monster - Magenstein

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magenstein and his Bride is more about story than showing a modified light. That is why I started that thread in the Cafe. It is true that both the lights have been heavily modified and they do in fact work, Magenstein has 4AA batteries and LED output, the Bride has 3AA batteries and LED output as well.
Each has a custom taipiece, Magenstein's represents large feet, the Bride's represents a dress with her feet at the bottom.

I had some time and I wanted to see if I could successfully make a 3 and 4 battery mini mag.

I am happy that someone considered these modified lights and moved the thread over, but these have to be the ugliest flashlights in that catagory, (which, by the way I am proud of.) I do not believe these to be worthy of inclusion in the custom and modified area. There are many fine flashlights there that fellow CPF people have spent time and money to make something truly unique.

I personally feel that moving this story makes light of the hard work that others have done. I will go on record here and say

' Magenstein is not a serious thread. Moving it does a dis-service to those members who want to showcase their work in a a forum designed for home made and modified'

The story will continue, no matter where - we may have to move from the castle....

The above was added after someone moved this to the modified area...

The start of the story follows:
********************************************************************************************************************

I had to travel to my Mag-Lite grave yard today. We were having a severe thunderstorm. I knew there would be enough power to bring one of the Mag-Lites back to life. Some of the parts were bloody, some badly mangled and yet some held the posibility for new life. I summoned my assistant, Igor, to bring the parts to the lathe. There were chips flying, threading and drilling and boring. We persisted and we were able to put the body together in time for the most powerful part of the storm. We only needed one other item to complete Magenstein, the Brain. We traveled to the LEDical supply company and snatched up the last LEDbrain. The Magenstein is more powerful that any standard, 4AA rechargeables. The electrodes were connected to the bolts in the neck, all that remained was to hoist Magenstein to the roof to capture the lightning before the storm ended. There was only one more foot to go to reach the top when the most powerful bolt hit the roof and Magenstein. Igor let go the ropes and Magenstein crashed to the ground, and - there was a glimmer of light. Within moments it came back completely to life, the batteries having taken a full charge from the storm.

It's Alive

It's Alive

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Standard, the Magenstein

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was one of those - I wonder if I can do it - Then my daughter got involved, put bolts in it, then - well, it needed a story..

Hey - If it put a smile on your face, then it is worth it.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way - this really works -

4 AA batteries, all the tubes were press fit together, the tailpiece is made from 1" stock aluminum rod. The blood and dirt is powder coat. The pieces were left overs from some lathe work I did.

A bride? - I only have one pink maglite, I am not going to cut that one up.

Let me think of a good way to create a bride. I do have to wait for another storm..

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The day was quickly fading to night. The nighttime predators have just started to come out to feed. Igor and I knew that we would have to make our selection quickly or face the ravenous creatures of the night. There was so much to do and so little time to do all that had to be done. Walking through the bone yard was difficult, there were parts strewn all over, many imbedded in the shavings of past Mag-Lites. Moving around took more time than we anticipated. The daylight faded completely from the sky; we were faced with picking parts in the dark, or to return another day. Igor had the foresight to bring along a few heavily modded lights, LEDs blazed through the night time. This would only temporarily keep the predators at bay. We made our selections quickly. The first hungry animal was merely inches away as we closed the door on our truck. I can only hope that the parts we gathered would be suitable for

The Bride…

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today we wait – the sun is out – We need the power of the storm to continue our work. Igor went to the village today to gather out supplies for the next few days. The village people are concerned with the type of work we are doing on the mountain top. I can only hope that they remain calm. The Bride is almost ready to re-animate. I have to send Igor to the graveyard for a few small parts, This must be done after night has fallen...

Now we wait…

atm

Enlightened
I don't think the Bride will do him much good Will, his nuts are in his neck...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
We must wait - The Policeman from the village paid us an unwelcome visit today. Fortunately, Magenstein was quiet, and we were able to shield our activities....

We must re-animate the bride soon, we have no refrideration and the parts have been left at room temperature.

Agh... the agony of waiting......

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh the horror of it all, The villagers came tonight and tried to burn the castle down. There were so many, they all carried torches, the kept throwing these into any open area of the building. The policeman did arrive after a short time and was able to get the village people to leave the area.

(I should explain, the torches were all Maglites and Surefires, the only damage was to the windows as they threw their torches into the building – I don't know how they expected to start a fire, maybe some of the lights did not have the proper heat sinks or had unauthorized MODs )

He immediately called the village fireman and told him he was not needed. We were able to inspect the damaged windows. I will have to get the construction man at the site to give an estimate to repair the damage. The laboratory is located in the cellar and was not damaged; the Bride is safe for now. The weather has been changing; we may be in for another storm

The wait continues..

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight we were successful in bringing the Bride to life. The storm was perfect. Igor was able to get a new brain, the old one had sat around too long and was not usable. I feel our days here at the castle may be limited, the villagers are getting restless again. We will have to move for our own safety, but, tonight we celebrate our success..

I present the Bride……

Together at last..

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this thread! :twothumbs and you bet it put a smile on my face... :lolsign: