Received my Fenix L2T today.. pretty happy with it

InfidelCastro

Banned
I received the L2T today courtesy of this_is_nascar in the for sale forum. Used it today at work with a couple of freshly charged energizer NiMh 2500's.

So far I'm impressed. HATE the reverse clicky. But the tint is not bad and it has a reasonable amount of throw and decent sidespill. The tint is a little warm, which I prefer. There are almost no artifacts in the hotspot, despite it having a pretty smooth reflector.

My Surefire E2L, rated at 30 lumens, is significantly brighter in the hotspot, but has very little sidespill. I would judge overall output compared to the L2T to be very similiar. The KL1 head on the E2L is also a bit whiter.

Someone mentioned as a complaint, that they thought it had 55 lumens on high and 48 lumens on low. I would say this is totally bogus to my eyes. On high it appears to be around 30-35 'real world' lumens and around 10 real world lumens on low.

Side by side going back and forth between my River Rock 2AAA .5W and the Fenix L2T on low, I believe the River Rock 2AAA is just slightly brighter. And this is with slightly used alkaline batteries in the RR and NiMh in the Fenix.

Myself and others have guessed that the River Rock 2AAA is about 10 real world lumens on an alkaline in mid stride and around 12 lumens on a fresh alkaline.

I also like the holster the Fenix came with. Now if a momentary clicky is available, I won't have much to complain about with this light other than the lack of a pocketclip.

The HAIII finish is also pretty nice and does not look any cheaper than that on my HAIII Surefires. In fact, this one doesn't have any spots where the finish is thin, unlike my Surefires.

*edited* I wanted to amend this post to say that there IS dust under the lense, but not quite as much as under a typical Surefire LED head. There were no marks or scratches on the light of any kind when I received it.

Did I mention it loves my 2500's? :)
Nothing like guilt free lumens.
Now about that clicky...
icon9.gif

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Forgot to mention, it does get a little warm after running on high for awhile. But I guess this is good since it's dissipating heat.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get used to the reverse clicky after a while. I don't even notice, but yet when I pick up my SL Jr lx I still use momentary. I just automatically remember subconciously and don't try to "momentary" my fenix anymore.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Good and timely review there, Infidel.

As FLReviews rates the SF E2L at 40 (throw) and 23 (output), what would you guess the new L2T might rate?

Also, can the L2T match the E2L's 3 hr. (pretty flat) runtime?

InfidelCastro

Banned
TonkinWarrior said:
Good and timely review there, Infidel.

As FLReviews rates the SF E2L at 40 (throw) and 23 (output), what would you guess the new L2T might rate?

Also, can the L2T match the E2L's 3 hr. (pretty flat) runtime?

I would say the E2L has more throw and perhaps slightly more output overall, but it's pretty close. The E2L's lack of sidespill in comparison I think makes it less useful in indoor situations.

Another comment I have on the Fenix L2T light is that I don't like how both ends are the same. I can never tell which end is the clicky and which end is the led, just by feel. I have to look at the light sometimes when I take it out. I suppose I'll get used to this eventually.

I would also have liked more leeway in the high/low feature. I barely have to screw the head out and it's on low.

I don't know what the runtime is with the L2T on full brightness, but I would assume it's very similiar on two 2500 rechargeables to an E2L on two CR123A's. The L2P has 4 hours of flat regulated runtime on the 2500's, so I would assume the L2T is similiar.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly checking flashlightreviews.com several times a day for the L1T and L2T reviews to be put up. :D

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly checking flashlightreviews.com several times a day for the L1T and L2T reviews to be put up. :D
Yeah me too. It's been a week since he received them so I'm thinking any minute now the review will be up.

InfidelCastro

Banned
A couple of current draw tests:

I got 930mA on high and 160mA on low with the Energizer 2500 batteries I used last night (had not been recharged, but still have plenty of juice in them).

According to the chart here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/79302&page=1&pp=30

That should translate to roughly 2.5 hour runtime on high and at least ten hours on low if not twenty with Energizer 2500's. Sanyo 2700's should provide even better results.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I'm just about to order a few L2T's and I'm just curious if they come with ALL the spare parts and accessories that the L2P comes with? Fenix's site doesn't say anything about it.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Just go my L2T today, can't wait for it to get dark...it does come with a little bag that has a strap, an o ring, and a spare rubber cover.

Is it dark yet? Is it dark yet?

InfidelCastro

Banned
Anybody know who has the best price on an L2T right now? I was gonna start another thread, but figured I'd just ask here. I don't even know who all is selling them aside from Fenix-Store.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Ralls said:
I'm just about to order a few L2T's and I'm just curious if they come with ALL the spare parts and accessories that the L2P comes with? Fenix's site doesn't say anything about it.

Mine came with the holster, an extra rubber boot for the tailcap, two spare O-rings, a lanyard and a pair of battery station AA lithium-ion 2900mAh batteries. I think they're lithium-ions anyways. If not, I don't know what the hell they are. :) They don't look like alkalines though.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
KingSmono said:
Could someone please elaborate what exactly a "reverse clicky" is?

-Allen
With a reverse clickie, you can not partially depress the button for momentary on. The light won't come on until the switch completely clicks and locks on. Once the light is on, you can then partially depress the button to get momentary off. -Nick

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
a pair of battery station AA lithium-ion 2900mAh batteries. I think they're lithium-ions anyways. If not, I don't know what the hell they are. :) They don't look like alkalines though.
They're non-rechargable lithiums. ~1.5V each. Lithium ions would be 3.7V and have 700-750mAh.

KingSmono

Enlightened
lightwait said:
With a reverse clickie, you can not partially depress the button for momentary on. The light won't come on until the switch completely clicks and locks on. Once the light is on, you can then partially depress the button to get momentary off. -Nick

Ahh... I see! Seems kinda counter-intuitive... :shrug: Thanks for the explanation.

-Allen

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
reverse clickie

... my Triton has some flickering problems, and someone posted an idea to mod Fenixes to 2-stage, so I did this. Works good (will not order the L2T therefore). But now with using the Fenix, I also really
HATE this kind of switch...

PS: the mod is great, solder a very small flexible wire to a SMD resistor, bend it to fit into one of the notches inside the Fenix head, jsut a little bit elevated. Then solder the other part of the resistor to the contact ring (I needed my 100 Watts iron for this, man the heat path inside the Fenixes is great).
Now when the head full on, the body touches the contact ring (as be4), when loosen a bit, the resistor comes to work.
--> homemade L2T
(I think the switch mod sux)

InfidelCastro

Banned
Planterz said:
They're non-rechargable lithiums. ~1.5V each. Lithium ions would be 3.7V and have 700-750mAh.

Ah ok. The stuff that was on the sides threw me off. I put them on my multi-meter and they're each about 1.78V, typical of standard AA lithiums.

tracker870

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Anybody know who has the best price on an L2T right now? I was gonna start another thread, but figured I'd just ask here. I don't even know who all is selling them aside from Fenix-Store.

I am expecting a shipment today/tomorrow.