Gerber XL 3.0 - final opinion

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
As I posted before, several weeks ago I purschased a couple Gerber XL 3.0 which is their premier 3AA 3Watt twist tail light.

I love the fit and finsh of this light and really really wanted to love it - but simply do not because despite its claim of running for 50 hours, it gets down to about 50% in about 2 1/2 hours. Also, the light is not as bright as some 1 Watt lights I have to begin with. If the Gerber was regulated to provide some consistant light and was as bright as a 3 Watt can/should be - I'd love the light. P.S. - I had three of them and ran my test on the best one.

I really wanted to love this light - but don't. Such a shame.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an LX 3.0 a while back---same problem till I began using NiMh cells in it---after an hr. or so, I'd just recharge them back to full power. Nice light for the $, IMHO.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
AFAustion,

Right you are regarding he rechargables. OK if storage isn't an issue. Why did you get rid of the light? Just swapping around or found better?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX 3.0 was my 1st "walking flood" (light up the path so I don't step on a snake) light, and did a good job for me (no bites yet). It was an early acquisition for me after becoming a CPF devotee, and I later upgraded. My current light for that purpose (and one that will probably be hard to improve on) is a SF L4 with a McGizmo 2-stage (10 ohm low) tailcap. A better light, yes, but also a heckuva lot more expensive.