Battery Powered Tools

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
After my project this weekend, with several friends help, I've decided I need some better battery opperated tools. I have an older Craftsman drill with fading battery packs. I'd like Drill, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw and Rotary Cutter (Flashlight not needed :sssh: :) ). I'm not a contractor so I don't need Super Duty, but when I do use them I use them hard, so maybe I do. I'd like to spend less, alot less, than $500, but if needed I'm willing to go that high. 12V charger availability would be a big plus and more than 2 battery packs a bigger plus.
Any tips on make model retailer would be a help.
Thanks, Herb

HighLight

Enlightened
I believe Craftsman has a lifetime warranty? Return the almost spent NiCads and get new ones. You may still want to get newer stuff though.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
See if you can find out who uses NiMh battery packs and a smart charger (if any of them do).

I got a 14.4 Craftsman pack rebuilt at BatteriesPlus and it has been FAR better than my Nicad packs!

There are even LiIon powered tools now!

I'd stay away from consumer Nicad stuff. The Craftsman 16.8V in my truck has at least one dead pack in about a year.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several of the relatively inexpensive Ryobi branded stuff that HD sells, and overall i've been very happy with it. I LOVE my impact driver (which I got instead of a drill, it's much better for driving screws and tightening bolts and things) they also make a good screwdriver but I dont own that. Of the 18v tools that share the same pack I own the impact driver, the circular saw, the rotary cutter (zip tool type device) all of which I'm very happy with. I also own the stapler/brad gun thing which was a waste of money, hardly works.

They are inexpensive (few of the tools cost more than $50) but you do have to buy the batteries from them separately.

They lack the fit and finish of the much more expensive brand name tools, but so far I've had excellent luck with them. You can spent 3 or 4 times as much for name brand tools that are only marginally better put together, but I really do recommend these. I didn't buy the big kits with everything, as I didn't have that much cash all at one time, and I didn't need nor want the flashlight either which comes in every case :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you really need battery powered tools? Other than a cordless drill--which is nice to have some time.

If you need tools where there is no power--My self, I would probably get a nice quiet Honda eu2000i or equivalent generator and use it for power outages/camping and such.

I just did not need the battery tools often enough to make it worthwhile to replace the batteries every few years (whether they are used or not).

-Bill

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on your usage, sounds as if the Ryobis are the best way to go. Get exactly the tool you want at a reasonable price. Good availability thru a number of different dealers. They're inexpensive enough to replace painlessly if one breaks or just wears out.

Note - even tho Ryobi builds most Sears battery tools, the batteries don't interchange (at least the 18vs didn't last time I tried). I'm really soured on Sears because of their gimmicky marketing, advertising and planned obsolesence (of battery packs, anyway).

But then the old adage of "buy the best tool you can afford -- you'll never regret it" can also apply.

BTW - the little 3.6v li-ion driver from Lowe's (Kobalt)sometimes on sale for $19.95 is a great tool for light work -- cabinet hinges, etc.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The 16.8V I spoke of stays in a drawer under my cross bed toolbox until I need it. I most often need it with a Unibit to open up an existing hole for a bigger valve or switch. I may go weeks without getting it out.

It stays under there sans battery. I have a Craftsman 12V car charger that is SUPPOSED to be smart. I keep one battery in it at all times, and once I use that one I swap it with the other one. Just the other day, I didn't have the power to hog one hole out. Perhaps the charger is at fault, or maybe the batteries just SUCK.

In any case, I could really use an impact driver on the truck. And I plan to go for the LiIon stuff when I can!

And about using corded items and/or a generator? I can't carry a generator. I have no room.

And to drill one hole, or put in three self tapping metal screws, I don't WANT to drag a cord out.

So get the best stuff you can afford!

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
I'm still using my Makita 9.6v cordless drill from the mid nineties.
They were pretty expensive back then.
for tough jobs I have an AEG hammer drill also from the same era.
my cordless screwdriver is a Milwaukee 2.4v. (the panasonics are good, too)
All still work till this day.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with PBJS -- I can't remember when I've used a corded drill/driver. I've got a 18v circular saw and recip saw. I rarely get the corded tools out. May take a little longer, but the lack of cord hassle is worth it.

I do a lot of dock/bulkhead work near (and in) the water, so the batt tools (and pneumatics) are best for that. I'd much rather be shocked by 18 than 120.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some good suggestions here. Ryobi is sort of like Craftsman used to be, more tool for the money than anyone else was offering.

That said, I've found that I like two brands of cordless tools, and have had good luck with both. The first is Porter Cable, the second, DeWalt.

If you have access to a Costco, they often have the DeWalt 18V kit with saw, drill, reciprocating saw, etc. on sale for less than $500 total. I've never seen the same deal on Porter Cable stuff anywhere.

These tools are professional grade and I doubt I will EVER wear mine out, with the possible exception of the batteries.

The other option is Milwaukee Tools new line of 28V LiPoly powered tools. These use an incredible Lithium Poly cell from Canada called, amazingly enough, the Policell!

The cells are good for 50-100 amps and should handle anything you throw at the tool. The problem has been cost, and I've never seen them on sale.

Bill

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryobi isn't "like" Craftsman, it _is_ Craftsman. That's who makes the cordless tools for Sears. I've honestly never had any luck with corded or cordless Ryobi/Sears tools, but some people love them.

My personal favorite is DeWalt. Good enough quality, very popular so parts are easy to come by.

We're at a crossroads right now with portable power tools. No one knows where things are going. Milwaukee was recently sold to OWT (Ryobi's parent), Delta/Porter-Cable was recently sold to Black & Decker (DeWalt's parent). Makita's been so-so for a while. But all are good tools and for anything less than very heavy duty use I wouldn't have any issue with buying them.

Metabo and Panasonic probably make the absolute best cordless drills, but they're big $$$.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I used to have a Craftsman 14.4 (a worthy drill by the way) but dumped it for an Hitachi DS12DMR. This is a sweet drill at 14.4v with built-in LED light. More importantly, it has a Jacobs ratcheting chuck (high precision) all steel. No bit slips in this chuck! Brush changes are a snap (when and if needed) and she's got plenty of torque. Very comfortable to hold and well balanced. Lowe's is the place to look (about $179.00 and worth it).

ddaadd

Enlightened
I use tools hard, my Ryobi 14.4v drill has held up for a couple years. Definatly rebuild battery packs to add capacity and fresh life, best thing I ever did.

I have a Hilti 24v TE15a cordless drill/hammer drill that is a BEAST. Added a 1/2" keyless chuck, and have drilled 7/8" holes thru steel no prob.It will do 4 1" holes in concrete at 6" deep on 1 charged battery pack.....

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a 12v Ryobi for about 7 years when both batts bit the dust. I replaced with a 14.4v DeWalt at about twice the price but it's way better than the Ryobi. If you buy from Amazon Tools, the shipping will be free and, IIRC, a discount if you spend more then $199.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just realized the Makita 9.6 drill I bought in 1985 is only on its third pair of batteries.

Like car batteries, it's hard to tell which company is producing the best product...this year. Porter Cable and Panasonic drills still seem to be of the best, but the old "reliables": Milwaukee, DeWalt, Craftsman, etc. have had some fluctuation in quality over the years. It can also depend upon the particular model in a manufacturer's line of tools that may not be representative of the rest.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm quite dissapointed to hear about the changes in ownership of some of the great old stuff!

We (Dad) also have some 19.2V Craftsman stuff including Circular Saw and at least at 5-6 months old it is NICE! I'd like to acuire the angle head drill for those batteries! Craftsman also has a 19.2V Impact Driver... but I don't know anything about it...

maverick

Enlightened
I really like Makita tools. Reasonably priced and very adequate quality for anyone except probably the most hardcore construction professional. I got a jigsaw, drill driver and a 14.4V hammer drill which are all cordless. I've found the 14.4V hammer drill was sufficient for all amateur household tasks.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a small Craftsman drill many years ago. It worked pretty well- would do a lot of drilling but didn't have high power. When the battery died I couldn't find another one. I got a DeWalt 14.4V as a Christmas gift and I've been very happy with it. I've heard people claim since then that DeWalt quality has declined. I've also read that a few other brands, maybe Milwaukee included, are still professional quality. I've always been suspicious of Makita. I've known a lot of people that had them, they seemed to be the Maglight of cordless drills, but I've never been impressed that they lived up to the hype.