MY first REAL mod - so be gentle..

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having just been really bitten by the "luxeon mod bug", I had to try something for quick gratification...

I liked my Princetom Tec Aurora headlamp so much that I decided to put a Luxeon into a "Ray-o-vac Adventure headlight" to compare..

I simply removed the backplane that the bulb is mounted on and took a jewler's rat-tail file to the Luxeon to make the screw holes match up. I soldered in the leads and cut out the reflector (to improve the appearance) and left it under driven at 3 volts.

I took this light to an out-door late over night party and this thing stole the show... Everyone was totally boggled by the usefull and WHITE output of light, and this thing is UNDERDRIVEN!!

I did this with the idea of adding a step-up circut later, but I think I might leave it as is - especially since it's all plastic and doesn't have an upgraded heatsink.

For a beginner, this is the perfect mod to start with...

Does anyone have any guess as to what run time I should get with a Luxeon on 2 AA's??

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an LS (red) in one of those Rayovac "kids" headlamps. You should get bright light for about 10 hours, then it will still give off light for days.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kalengkong:
PS: the bulb in my DB 4AAA 6V has just blown up 2 days ago<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be sad.. Now you have a real excuse to mod it!
grin.gif
I would recommend wiring the batteries back to "series" and running three batteries along with a single dummy battery to get 4.5 volts. Install a Luxeon Star with a 1 OHM resistor rated to carry 1 watt. In fact you could use the dummy battery to house the resistor.