Your favorite multi-level light?

onthebeam

Enlightened
Lots of energy and enthusisam here lately for multi-level lights!

What's your fave and why??

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite production light is the Fire~Fly III. Rechargable RCR123 for "free photons", 20 programmable levels for the first two levels and max output at 72 lumens. Throw in the HA-III, smooth twistie switch action, strobe, SOS, different user interfaces, AR glass lens, easily modified and it all fits on my keychain ready for use.

My favorite modded light is a nFlex WX1S LuxeonV 8AA NiMH Mag with AR lens and hotlips heat sink. Eight output levels, flat regulation, reprogramable for different LEDs or drive levels, great throw, "adjustable focus", runs very cool, remove the head for awesome flood and decent to amazing runtimes depending on level selected. It will run on alkaline, NiMH, NiCad or lithium AA cells. Took me 15 hours to build it since I made a custom mount and heat sink for the board's chips/inductor so it will always be special to me.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,, I only have one, an HDS basic 60. I guess the fact it can cover for all my other lighting need's, and is simple to use is why i like it as a mutli level
light. But it's the quality, rugged build,Bright big time, great tint and ingenious features, like the battery saving mode's (it won't leave you in the dark ever) and abilty to use about any type of 123 batt type. VDG

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
My favorite is the CPF 16 Level Light sold by Wits' End for $64 shipped.

But thats probably because its the only multi level light I have.

Unless you count "Off" as a level? :awman:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been thru a wide range of multi-level lights in the last 12-months and especially over the last 90-days. I've been thru, not in any particular order, the U2, the PD, the HDS, the L1T/L2T and the FF-III. For my $$$ the FF-III is the clear winner. The size-to-weight-to-performance-to-$$$ ratio is unmatched by the other lights in my opinion. The FF-III is the clear winner and perferred light for me.

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LionCub. I like the ergonomics of the side switch (especially with the softer rubber buttons). UI is easy to use. Rechargeable batteries. The low level is "just enough" for indoor night use and high is plenty for most conditions.

Cmoore

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
I've been thru a wide range of multi-level lights in the last 12-months and especially over the last 90-days. I've been thru, not in any particular order, the U2, the PD, the HDS, the L1T/L2T and the FF-III. For my $$$ the FF-III is the clear winner. The size-to-weight-to-performance-to-$$$ ratio is unmatched by the other lights in my opinion. The FF-III is the clear winner and perferred light for me.

I'm with TIN here too. The FF3 is a winner in every respect. It also did surprisingly well in PG's recent lumen measurement of various lights. I'm surprised this light does not get more kudos; I think it's the best CPF'ers light available today.

dulridge

Enlightened
Dae's 6W. Small, cheap, very bright and a low setting that won't blind you in darkness. Works fine with RCR123 and runs for ever on low. Nice wide beam. What more do you want...

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I agree, the Lion cub is my favorite, love the side switch, very convienient to use.I just added a 18500 lion using an extended tube,now even more run time.Double the time and even easier to hold. It was almost to small.:) I might have to try an proton!Low is really low and hi is impressive.Beats my orb raw u bin

hivoltage

Enlightened
Fire~ Fly 3 here too....followed real close 2nd by my HDS XRGT and only because it is slightly bigger......but both of them are keepers!!!!!!

Topper

Flashaholic*
coldsolderjoint said:
My favorite is the CPF 16 Level Light sold by Wits' End for $64 shipped.

But thats probably because its the only multi level light I have.

Unless you count "Off" as a level? :awman:

I like both of mine and I have had other lights to choose from.
For the price it is a very good option.
Topper :)

fleegs

Enlightened
right now in order

Chameleon
PD
FF3
Ion
HDS U60
VB16 (because it goes so low)

I am currently biased with the Chameleon (Cham) because I just got it and it fits in the pouch on my belt. I do like the side button. I found I have less electrical problems.

I prefer throw so that is why the Cham beats the PD and FF3. My current set up (for over 1 year) is a flashlight in a horizontal pouch (leatherman wave pouch) on my belt and one in my right front pocket. In the pouch I have the Chameleon or PD and in my pocket I either have the FF3 or Ion. If I had to pick one I would pick the FF3 due to cost and design. Well technically I would have to pick two FF3s because I could never have just one light. :)

rob

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
I love my VB-16, which is essentially the same at the CPF Special that Wits End sells. It's been our baby checking light of choice. On high, it blows away everything else in my arsenal and compared very well with the U2 I got to play with in the CPF passaround.

Right now, I'm obsessed with finding an EDC with multi levels. I'm using my Fenix L1P with Nekomane CR2 body the most as my everyday EDC, and had been hoping that the new L1T head would make it into a multi stage light. But, it's not promising at present. I'm hoping Nekomane and 4sevens will collaberate on a new CR2 body if the original one (actually version two) doesn't work with the new Fenix L1T and L2T heads.

The Proton looks promising despite the nervous thread that has everyone micro-analyzing its shortcomings, even though none of those doubters have touched the light yet. What I love about the design is clicky and the way to switch levels on the side, much like the VB-16.

However, now that I'm spoiled by the size of the Fenix Nekomane CR2 and doubt I'd love the Proton as an EDC pocket light unless we can get a mini Proton version, too. Now, that would be cool!

I have another CR2 light, the JIL 1.3 UP, but think the Flupic version is a bit complicated for my tastes, which lend toward a very simple to switch light with a clicky. Still, the JIL is a great single stage light, IMO, although I know the FluPic version has many loyal fans.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for CPF Special that Wits' End sells. It seems one of the few multi-level lights you can hand to a novice w/o instructions and they can figure it out.

-LT