Super Fast Hand Dryers

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Personally I haven't seen or used one, but you can likely get about the same speed of use with a regular hot air dryer by simply using a very small sheet of paper towel while having the hot air blow over your hands. The towel wicks up very large drops and accelerates the drying process; the result is about 1/2 or 1/3 the usual time.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite hand driyer has a sticker on it.

cropped.jpg

dfred

Enlightened
I'm really curious whether the sound levels these things produce would rise to the level of being dangrous to people's hearing. The hissing sounds produced when the hands are held in the airstream below the output are especially loud and unpleasant.

I hate air hand dryers in general and the XLerator in particular.

Last edited:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
A little Italian place we eat at for lunch has one of these. It is loud, but not to the point where you are in danger of hearing loss. It does dry your hands fast, and in only one cycle. Most other hand dryers require at least two cycles to dry my hands adequately.

dfred

Enlightened
Ras_Thavas said:
It is loud, but not to the point where you are in danger of hearing loss.

Hearing damage occurs at much lower sound pressure levels than most people think. I'm not suggesting that people are going to walk out of the restroom stone deaf. But over a period of time, repeated exposures to this kind of noise might cause damage. I'd like to see hard data of about what sound levels are created by the XLerator both when the airstream is flowing freely and when disturbed by someone's hands.

Edit: Found a couple articles that claim it hovers "around 90dB" and is apparently louder when the hands are being dried.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solan also sells these under their own brand. I haven't seen them myself yet but maybe soon.

At least the designed it to only dry hands. In high school; we had dryers where you could turn the nozzel upwards to dry your face. However, most of us turn the nozzle upwards, start the dryer, and spit into the opening. The air comming out launches the spit across the restroom.

Imagine what would happen if it was made so you could turn the nozzle upwards and throw in foreign objects.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've used one somewhere; I think it was at a department store restroom. It did seem to be fast. I remember thinking "Huh, I don't have to finish drying my hands on my clothes."

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator said:
My favorite hand dryer has a sticker on it.
:D Good one, that'd have been funny to see-

These hot air dryers are supposed to promote hygiene, but that presumes everyone before you are just as diligent in washing their hands before opening the door, and didn't leave a hidden present on the door handle- Paper towels are better unless it's in an airport type setup, without any doors. Howard Hughes approved- :grin2:

nirad

Enlightened
Wingerr said:
:D Good one, that'd have been funny to see-

These hot air dryers are supposed to promote hygiene, but that presumes everyone before you are just as diligent in washing their hands before opening the door, and didn't leave a hidden present on the door handle- Paper towels are better unless it's in an airport type setup, without any doors. Howard Hughes approved- :grin2:

I think all public restrooms should be the doorless partition type. I like the automated airport setups the best with the touchless urinals, toilets, and wash basins. The only thing you have to touch is...um...er...the "Captain". :naughty:

It doesn't do any good to wash your hands and "turbo" dry them, when you have to touch that nasty germ infested door handle. I also remember hearing a news broadcast that said there were more germs on the restroom door handle than on the toilet seat.:eeew: