uh...atypical venting?

Illum

Flashaholic
I've used my SL PP 4AA luxeon many times since I bought it now.

Recently, I've tested it in a tub of water, works well...lights on the whole time, no flicker.

When I took it out, dried and decided to check on the batteries for water, the threads seems abnormally tight, as if been glued on...A couple twists using a towel worked...but this sound

sssssSSSSSSSSSSsss....click

Its like opening a can of sprite, or the sound of the pressurized duster make when you pull the trigger...

Is this a sign of battery venting? [The batteries are the 4 included energizer AAs BTW]

After the gas was releasted, the threads became loos again..still rigid [tight tolerances] but easily turned in and out.

any guesses?

The water was lukewarm...and the testing was done for about an hour under around less than 2 feet of water

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline batteries can do that. General advice for storage of dive-type lights is to keep them unscrewed to prevent gas buildup and bursting. There are incidents of firefighters being injured when their AA-powered dive lights burst. (Dive lights are often used fighting fires because they are waterproof and tend to also be rated for explosive atmospheres.)

I'd say you just got a bad set of batteries.

Scott

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the vent cap in the threads (pink rubber thing) didn't have enough expansion space to vent, and loosening the bezel provided enough room for it to expand and let out any gases that had formed inside of the battery compartment?

Illum_the_nation said:
I've used my SL PP 4AA luxeon many times since I bought it now.

Recently, I've tested it in a tub of water, works well...lights on the whole time, no flicker.

When I took it out, dried and decided to check on the batteries for water, the threads seems abnormally tight, as if been glued on...A couple twists using a towel worked...but this sound

sssssSSSSSSSSSSsss....click

Illum

Flashaholic
HarryN said:
Just curious - was there any water in the battery compartment ? If so, maybe you were doing a little electrolysis.

no water was found...I was skeptical about the clickie being waterproof...
there were no bubbles coming out during the testing..

The Shadow said:
Shouldn't the safety pressure valve have prevented this? Or is that only for excessive (and dangerous) pressure levels?

I figured too, but my guess is that theres a certain amount of pressure to be reached before the valve would open...

Im going to China as a summer vacation and Im thinking of having this and my XO with me...

the XO's 123 cells are duracells and they are the major worries,
I had the ssss sounds from the SLPP4AA and now im sketical about EDCing any lights on board the 747...for a 14 hour flight..

kromeke

Enlightened
Had the weather changed since you put the batteries in? It would only be a slight difference, but I've noticed this in other sealed containers. Containers which have no batteries in them. Long shot, but something to consider.

Illum

Flashaholic
kromeke said:
Had the weather changed since you put the batteries in? It would only be a slight difference, but I've noticed this in other sealed containers. Containers which have no batteries in them. Long shot, but something to consider.

Come to think of it....I got the light in mail, before I got home, I took my pocket knife out, slid it open, and installed the batteries outdoors
it was around 87, 100% humidity noncondensing....maybe

Allnew2me

Enlightened
The pressure release valve is a one way valve, as in letting pressure out, not in. If the water was warm the air in the PP could have expanded and vented out the flap valve. Then when you took it out of the water you had a vacuum inside the light. What you may have heard was the air being sucked (more properly pushed) into the light. The Pelican cases have a similar valve and I have noticed that the black case left in the sun for a short time will be hard to open when taken inside and it has cooled. I have to pry it gently and it goes Whoosh!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
would also mean: if the treads get thightened, then there is less pressure inside..

Illum

Flashaholic
Allnew2me said:
The pressure release valve is a one way valve, as in letting pressure out, not in. If the water was warm the air in the PP could have expanded and vented out the flap valve. Then when you took it out of the water you had a vacuum inside the light. What you may have heard was the air being sucked (more properly pushed) into the light. The Pelican cases have a similar valve and I have noticed that the black case left in the sun for a short time will be hard to open when taken inside and it has cooled. I have to pry it gently and it goes Whoosh!

Good thinking...
I'll try it again, see if I can feel whether theres any air coming out...if not..you r explanation would be correct.:rock:

Latest posts