Brake Hone for Mag Boring

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I suspect that when you get through the anodize, the aluminum will load/clog the stones. Try using oil with the hone, and good luck!

Larry

thezman

Enlightened
I've done it. Stones wear out fast and cut pretty slow. My stones were small, about an inch long and 1/4" to 3/8" wide.

The aluminum will stick to the stones and lubrication does helps alleviate this.

You got a long row to hoe......... Good luck

litho123

Enlightened
After spending several hours each night for three nights working on it, I still can't fit the Sanyo 2500's 4-across. I gave up.

I decided that my time is better spent buying one that has the work already done.

modamag doesn't do it anymore and Fivemega's boring offers more options.
Tri-bore or quad-bore...

With a Brake hone, you can't bore it to accept 3x17mm (123's, 17500's, etc.) across...you're limited to 4 across AA nimh.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM wtraymond i think he's working out a boring machine.. i would def. go for quad-bore or tri-bore.. it's absolutely worth the $ to have somebody else do it.

I've heard of people using the method.. and outcome similar to what greg says.. tedious and not worth the effort.

-awr

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brake hone method is OK for boring out the front end of a D Mag so you can fit a WA Mini HID ballast in, I put the difficulty factor at 6 to 8 beers and the better part of an evening plus a worn out hone.

Trying to bore out the battery end to fit 4XAA's needs to be done by somebody with a lathe so you can get a true end to end diameter bore, and it will come out less expensive counting in the beer factor and replacing worn out stones :grin2:

Later
Kelly