If not surefire, then what?

bigcozy

Enlightened
Like a lot of folks on here, I am taken aback by the new surefire prices. I have an E1 and E2, but was looking at getting into some rechargeables.

What are the alternatives? In the E2 type power range, that is by size and lumens. The only thing I am aware of is the Streamlight Scorpion, and my E2 is much stronger than my Scorp is. I have heard a lot about the PT Surge and the UK 2L, are they really in this power territory. Depending on the answers here, I may buy a few different alternatives just to see the difference.

Just because something is machined out of aluminum doesn't make it better, or 3 times as expensive.

Spork

Enlightened
I'm not sure how it compares to the e2 but other members say the rage is very bright for its size. I believe there like 9 bucks so you cant go wrong. when I order more lights im gonna add this one on next time. I don't think the e2 is brighter than the scorpian it just puts out a broader beam of light.

bigcozy

Enlightened
That is a good point about the Scoprion. I don't know the technical term, but the thing I love about SF is that the beam "punches" way out there. I use my Pelican L1 for close stuff, but I like having having a light that can really reach way out when I need it to. I guess the thing to do is buy all those lights I am curious about, would be cheaper to buy all of them than to buy one SF now.

Empath

Flashaholic
The UK 2L isn't the same as the Scorpion or the E2. There are similarities in that it uses two lithiums, but it uses the same lamp assembly as UK's 4 X AA lights. It is designed for longevity rather than brightness. It's a very decent light, provided you find a good lamp assembly. I've been told by another CPF member that he buys several lamps at a time, and use the ones that are well focused. The Scorpion and E2 will have better focus and initial brightness. The 2L will be brighter later after the batteries in the Scorpion and E2 become exhausted.

WaltH

Enlightened
Bigcozy makes a good point. I don't think there's any doubt the SF is the best on the block, but the price has reached (at least my) pain threshhold.
I own a UK2L and it's a very impressive light. Completely waterproof and impressive runtime. I've never experimented with different bulb assemblies as I'm quite content with the one's I've used.
I've heard some talk about the Streamlight US and it's all been good. The price is pretty reasonable too. I may add it as my first rechargeable.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by bigcozy:
That is a good point about the Scoprion. I don't know the technical term, but the thing I love about SF is that the beam "punches" way out there.
You ought to try the ASP Triad (Tac-Lite) if you want a small light that puts out a LONG beam. Inside the house, it looked a lot like my D2 with a less concentrated center spot. I was somewhat dissapointed. Then I took it outside.....it acts like a small US. It has a much better reach than any of my 6 SF's. It's a really nice light & under $50. TX

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When loaded with fresh batteries, the Surge is brighter then an E2. When focused down to it's brightest hotspot it has a pretty good beam quality but not quite up to that of Surefire. Of course sizewise it's quite a bit bigger seeing as how it uses 8AA batteries but compact enough to hold. The only downside for me is that with using alkaline batteries, the light will dim steadily througout the life of the batteries, whereas the lithiums have a flatter discharge rate. Having said that, the Surge still stays brighter then an E2 for I think at least it's first hour of usage.

For less then $23 including batteries at Texas Tactical Supply, it's worth trying out.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
I use nimh cells for my surge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is the brightness compared to alkalines? Also does it maintain brightness until near end or discharge steadily like alkalines?

Tesla

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigcozy:
The only thing I am aware of is the Streamlight Scorpion, and my E2 is much stronger than my Scorp is. I have heard a lot about the PT Surge and the UK 2L, are they really in this power territory.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might also give a thought to the Brinkmann Legend LX...if you can locate one (Walmart or Galyans or order direct from Brinkmann's 800#). Cost is approx $20 @ Walmart or Galyans or $30 if ordered direct.

smile.gif