What small torch should I buy for night walking?

thei

Newly Enlightened
What small torch should I buy for night walking?

Hello,
I'm an Australian, currently living in the city of Brisbane, but from the tropical jungles/rainforest of north Queensland. I used to do a lot of night bushwalking, and am just starting to get back into it.

Up until now I've used 2AA (non-LED) Maglites and Rayovacs, and have recently found myself using the LED torch built into my Nokia mobile phone instead of bothering to dig out my Maglite. So, I've decided it's time to upgrade to a LED torch.

I came across an Inova X1 in a store here, and went looking for places in the US that would ship to Australia, as it's cheaper to have them shipped over, and I could only find the old spotlight version over here. In my searches, I came across flashlightreview.com and then this forum, and a whole pile more flashlights, and a few people that had problems with the Inova XI, and now I've got the problem—what should I buy?

I'm worried that the Inova XI won't work well with NiMH's, as I came across at least one thread here saying people had had problems, and flashlightreview recommends using only alkaline AA's in them. The Fenix L1T looks interesting, in that it seems similar to the Inova X1 on its dimmer setting, but has a brighter setting if needed, and officially supports NiMH's. Then again, it costs over twice as much as an Inova X1, and if I start looking in that price bracket, there's a whole range of other flashlights to consider.

So I'm wondering, what would you people recommend that I buy, and where from? I need somewhere that sells cheaply, and will ship cheaply to Australia.

• I want a torch that will allow me to walk in the bush at night, but still be stylish and functional around the city at night. I'd consider a headlamp as that'd be handy when walking, but I'd rather something that I can use in the city and around the house as well.
• It has to use AA batteries and work fine with AA NiMH's, as I already have batteries and they're cheap and easy to carry. I'd consider something rechargeable but it'd have to be really good to justify going away from my existing AA supply.
• It has to be no larger than an AA Maglite—smaller single-cell sizes are a definite advantage.
• It doesn't have to be hugely bright, an AA Maglite with slightly used batteries is bright enough for what I do, and I've managed to use my Nokia phone's dim light just fine—all I need is enough light to illuminate a path in total darkness, and it has to last a night on a single set of batteries. Anything brighter is wasting batteries and not really giving me any advantage. That said, being able to change to a bright setting when needed would be a very useful feature.
• It has to be strong enough that it's not going to fail if I'm a day's walk from everywhere and drop the thing on the ground, or the going gets a bit wet (though I'll always have a backup torch and I'm not doing life-threatening stuff).
• And finally, it has to be reasonably cheap—this is just a hobby on the side for me and I'm not planning to spend a huge amount of money on it.

Thanks for your advice.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
For around US$40-50ish, and staying with the AA form factor, I'd probably say either the Jetbeam or Fenix L1T, or if you prefer a more diffuse beam, the 3W Triton series.

If you're willing to splurge some cash (US$130-50 ish) and switch to lithium batteries (RCR123), then I'd say a DSpeck FF3 :grin2:

For something cheaper, I've heard good things about the Xnovas and MDXLs from Dae's site here: http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ . the Xnova runs on AAs, and the MDXL runs on AAAs. :)

Last edited:

hord

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF... now turn around and run away!! Your wallet will thank you for it!

Seriously... its great to see another Aussie on the forums! But the reviews and projects that show up on this forum will soon corrupt you in a big way... its very addictive!

There are a good collection of AA lights out there that would do the job... but I think one of the new 'T' fenixes would be a wise investment! They have two stages of light output... so you can be discreet in the city... and also have the option of running on 14500 lithiums down the track when you finally fall victim to CPF's true power:grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

I have just received my Jet-I light (with a CR123, single AA & Double AA tubes) and I can't get over how small and powerful such lights can be! Awesome stuff! I am now of the opinion that its worth paying a bit more for a light that will be with you for years to come... otherwise the multiple cheapy lights will soon add up!

If you wanted a real cheap option (well compared with the Fenix/Jet-I) have a search for reviews on the "streamlite Pro Poly 4AA Luxeon"... around $34ish (US) shipped to Australia... huge throw and 6hrs+ regulated runtime (constant brightness)... plus it bounces really well!! I have three (I told you its addictive!!!) and am very impressed with the build quality and power!

Good luck with your quest and let us know what you end up with!

Cheers

Harvey

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Inova T2. That's all you need.

Okay, I jumped the gun and said that before reading that you want a light that runs on AA batteries. I would say that to keep this economical, you should get the Inova Radiant series flashlight that runs on AA batteries. I think that Target stores in the U.S. have them for about $19.99 U.S. There's also a AAA version for about $12.99 U.S.

-Jeffrey

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic Fenix L1P would seem exactly fit all your needs. Much brighter than the 5mm's and half watter LEDs, flat output for 2 hours on nimhs, 3 hours on (Eveready E2 type) lithiums. Long tail when running on cheap alkalines. Elegant appearance and design. $38 shipped in the US. Don't know about Australia.

The Fenix Civictor from dealer 4sevens looks like it would do the same job for less cost ($29 shipped in US from 4sevens) and may be more reliable because it is a twisty rather than a clicky. However, the Civictor (like the AA Jet and some others) is a new model without much user experience although it's pedigree is very good.

thei

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
The basic Fenix L1P would seem exactly fit all your needs. Much brighter than the 5mm's and half watter LEDs, flat output for 2 hours on nimhs, 3 hours on (Eveready E2 type) lithiums. Long tail when running on cheap alkalines. Elegant appearance and design. $38 shipped in the US. Don't know about Australia.
Am I correct in my understanding that the L1T is basically the same as the L1P but with the dimmer, longer lasting setting, and at a slightly higher price? I would prefer something that lasted 8+ hours on a set of batteries and wasn't that bright, than something that was very bright but only gets 2+ hours. Obviously, something that can do both is even better.

sniper

Enlightened
Thei: Welcome! There are many lights that will fill your needs very nicely, and most of them are relatively inexpen$ive.

Inova does not recommend using NiMh batteries for the X1, but it is a great light. Mine is still on its first battery. If you can get the Nite Ize drop in module and tailcap switch for the Mini Mag, the brightness and run time are very good. The same can be said for the Mini Mag SMJLED kits sold by Lambda and others.

The Gerber Trio or Tri Tac are also good lights, but I don't know for sure about the run time.

My Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED is small, light, and bright! Plenty of run time, no worries about a set of batteries lasting through the night, and probably beyond. I replaced the old ones with a set I had used in other lights, and the regulation allows it to be plenty bright. I use it a lot.

A headlight might fit your needs, and give you another hand free, too.
Good luck in your search.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P is easily moded to have a 2 level switch (it becomes a twisty and the switch becomes a selector). Because you can select your own resistance, you can get a longer run time (and dimmer) low level setting than provided by the L1T. I'm not sure but I don't think the L1T low level setting will get you to 8 hours.

Or you can carry a second light for long run time like this one.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've got an L1P that I modded into a two stage light.

I've never modded anything before, and didn't even have to do any soldering, so you shouldn't be put off by the idea.

I think you'd be well pleased with an L1P, and it rins on NiMH.

leduk

Enlightened
Buy Lambda PR2 LED bulbs (10usd) and stick them in a cheap 2aa torch (1-2usd) good light for a long time. Look at this thread.
I'm trying to get hold of the PT Tec-20 or Aqua Flare to put a PR2 in. This from a suggestion in these forums too.

Gerber Infintiy Ultra (1aa, 25hrs, 20usd) or the old CMG may suit you (1aa, 40hrs).

I know you didn't want aaa but I'm still very happy with my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. 3 levels up to 1W if you need it. On low it should last up 60 hours. I find it comfortable for prolonged periods of wear. It takes 3aaa batteries and fits easily in a pocket.

Let us know what you get.

Regards

thei

Newly Enlightened
leduk said:
Buy Lambda PR2 LED bulbs (10usd) and stick them in a cheap 2aa torch (1-2usd) good light for a long time. Look at this thread.
I'm trying to get hold of the PT Tec-20 or Aqua Flare to put a PR2 in. This from a suggestion in these forums too.
Realistically, that is probably not such a bad idea, but it doesn't have the "cool" factor of a nice LED torch, which is something I'm somehow using to illogically justify my purchase.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
thei said:
Am I correct in my understanding that the L1T is basically the same as the L1P but with the dimmer, longer lasting setting, and at a slightly higher price? I would prefer something that lasted 8+ hours on a set of batteries and wasn't that bright, than something that was very bright but only gets 2+ hours. Obviously, something that can do both is even better.

not exactly the same. I don't have the L1T, but the LxT series has a LuxIII, while the LxP series have a LuxI in them.

If you put a 3.7v lithium-ion AA in the L1T, it'd be screaming bright, much brighter than the L1P. If you tried this with a L1P head, you would probably fry it.

And also, the L1T on an AA will work at around the L1P levels (i'm hearing slightly dimmer?).

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
here's a cool one for ya mate

angled-leather.jpg

thei said:
Realistically, that is probably not such a bad idea, but it doesn't have the "cool" factor of a nice LED torch, which is something I'm somehow using to illogically justify my purchase.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Thei:)

Welcome here in this forum.
My tip is a Fenix T-series. Both, the L1T and the L2T are great lights.
I think, the L1T fits your needs with a single AA-cell as backup.

If you want a runtime over the night with one set batteries in the light, your choise should be the L2T. Take a look here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1422902&postcount=8

Fenix lights are reliable, waterproof, well build and good components in there.

Best regards

______
Tom

thei

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
My tip is a Fenix T-series. Both, the L1T and the L2T are great lights.
I think, the L1T fits your needs with a single AA-cell as backup.
It's sounding like the L1T might be the torch I'm after. Hopefully flashlightreview puts up a review of them soon. From a reading of the forum, it appears there's a Jet-1 or something which is similar to the L1T but better, but I haven't been able to find much information about it. I'll spend a bit more time looking and thinking, and seeing what advice people give in here.

Thanks.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
There are probably many lights that will work for you, but you will do well with a Fenix L1T or L2T. They have a good mix of flood and throw and run great on rechargables. You should get 10hrs on low for the L1 and 20hrs. for the L2 on low. Low is pretty bright, so I think you will be pleased with the run time and brightness for walking on low. You can also mod a L1P to your own brightness wants, but you lose the use of the clicky switch for on-off. Check with lighthound.com for international shipping. -Nick

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
thei said:
It's sounding like the L1T might be the torch I'm after. Hopefully flashlightreview puts up a review of them soon. From a reading of the forum, it appears there's a Jet-1 or something which is similar to the L1T but better, but I haven't been able to find much information about it. I'll spend a bit more time looking and thinking, and seeing what advice people give in here.

Thanks.

Jetbeam Jet-I original sales thread :
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108505&highlight=jetbeam

Jetbeam Jet-I first impressions thread :
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116567&highlight=jetbeam

Jetbeam runtime tests by me :
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116817&highlight=jetbeam

The L1T is nice with the new 'twistie' head that gives you low/high output. Is meant to work with an AA with decent lumen output. They say it works with a Li-on too (significantly brighter from what I read), but its not backed up by the manufacturer.

The jetbeam is a little more 'custom' like although it is commercially available. Works as a 1w with a normal AA but is very bright with a AA Li-on. At the moment, the 2-stage tailcap is not available yet so it is single output.

I believe the Fenix might suit you more as an off-the-shelf option. The jetbeam is more for flashaholics who might carry diff batts to power the light differently. If you are only going AA Alk, I think the full 'power' of the Jet-I is not realised. The Jet-I seems superior to the L1P but seems to be in the same league as the L1T.

My impression is that the L1T is more designed for Alk AAs and the Jet-I is more designed for Li-ons, though both can use either batts.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
To keep with your low price theme, I'd recommend the following:

- Ultrafire WF-602a from Dae at www.qualitychinagoods.com . It's very similar in appearance to a Fenix L1P/L1T and same size. It's new, so there's not much user info yet on it (tho there's a thread here in the LED forum about called "looks like a Fenix, smells like a Fenix,...) but should provide similar performance to the L1P. It's <$20 from Dae and he ships internationally.

- Civictor V1 - made by Fenix, but not branded as one. Similar performance to the L1, but smaller in size (shorter) and a twisty instead of a reverse clicky. For $30, it's an attractive light with good performance that comes from a well known brand. Check with 4sevens for international shipping.

- Gerber Infinity Ultra - only a 5mm LED light, but the new ones are quite bright and last a very, very long time (I tested to almost 5 days of useful light, useful defined by me as I can still see the ground and objects in front of me at about 5-6ft and have decent color rendition). Very well built and attractive also. Can be found for $15 on the web, but not sure how much shipping would be to aussie.