What kind of flashlight is this?

lightdivided

Newly Enlightened
I'd recently seen a movie where an actor portrayed a cop that wore this light on her shoulder. I'm wondering if lights such as this exist or if it was something created for the movie. Also, if they don't exist, are there any lights that look similiar to this, that an individual would be able to wear attached on their shoulder?

I've included an image of the light below

Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the attached lights I've seen like this just clip onto a shirt pocket, so an officer can see their ticketbook while writing me up for speeding ;)

metalhed

Enlightened
Looks like a custom made movie prop to me. The plug probably leads down the users arm to a battery pack of some sort. I believe prop lighting has to be relatively bright to provide the expected 'beam effects' that we see in movies so often. Probably a half-way decent (meaning powerful) bulb behind a simple gel to diffuse the light emitted.

Just my two cents tho'...:shrug:

hquan

Enlightened
I'm no LEO and have no military training... but wouldn't a shoulder light like that make you an easy target? Not to mention that it wouldn't always be in the direction that you may be looking?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Petzl or Gerber Headlamp strapped to the backpack harness?

That works well. I use a Mayo XP strapped to the shoulder strap of my camelbak with the battery pack routed to the back pack portion. With the swivel head, you can adjust the angle.

And when I was in the military, I used a GI 90 degree bent flashlight clipped to my clothes. Not for combat purposes but when I needed light without tying up my hands like cooking an MRE.

Last edited:

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
I just received an email for the producer last week who said the movie has been released - but he didn't tell me anything else yet.

frisco

Enlightened
metalhed said:
Looks like a custom made movie prop to me. The plug probably leads down the users arm to a battery pack of some sort. I believe prop lighting has to be relatively bright to provide the expected 'beam effects' that we see in movies so often. Probably a half-way decent (meaning powerful) bulb behind a simple gel to diffuse the light emitted.

Just my two cents tho'...:shrug:

Bingo.... That would be my guess also. I'm in the film industry and I have made these many times in different configurations. That one looks like a stock project enclosure with an off the rack switch and a Deans plug. I have even made these that were radio controlled.

frisco