LED conversion what batt fits in what?

napalm-2002

Enlightened
Please guys help me out.I'm new to this game.We all talk about Led conversions but tell me what size batt fits in place of a AA or a AAA.Sometimes you guys lose me on the batt side.

And also how does a LED really work.

thanks
tongue.gif
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If you are new to the game, may I recommend to pay a visit to the holy halls of LEDs:
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

You will find guidance and answers around everything to do with LEDs...

Have fun,

pahntomas2002

napalm-2002

Enlightened
thanks for the led site and the battery site but i was looking more for something that someone put together for the battery stuff.

ie,an a23 fits in were two AAA's might.
i want to now what could fit where.
thanks a bunch guys.

my quote is "Beware of the demon tweak"
cool.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, now I got what you want!
wink.gif

My recipes are:

1. Fit 4 AA where 1 D cell was. They are also a little bit shorter, so you can fit 20 AAs in a 4 Dcell Maglite.

2. You can replace 2 AAs (f.e. Mini Mag or clones) by 3 N cells plus a little spacer. They are also a little bit thinner, so you will perhaps have to wrap plastic film around them (I use 3 N cells in a Mini Mag with 7 LEDs and they give you a really plus of brightness, but at high runtime cost).

3. The 6V and 12V little alkaline cells (MN21 and similar..) are good to use in 1AAA flashlights which you want to convert to leds. The disadvantage is they have only minimal capacity (as they are simple button cell stacks). And they are shorter than a AAA so you will have to use a larger spring or a spacer.

4. 3x AAAA (yes, 4 times A) are told to sometimes replace 1 AA cell, if there is a little air in the flashlight (they are a little bit larger). Havent tried this one for myself yet.

5. If you want to use NiCd rechargeable cells, you can buy them in very different sizes, usually parts of normal cells, for example 1/3AAA which means they have the same diameter, but only one third of the height of an AA cell. There are others to think about (1/2AA, 1/3AA etc....)

6. There are some Lithium cells in the form of standard batteries, but at higher voltage. You can buy Lithium-Thionylchloride cells (LiTCL) with 3.6V in forms of D, C, AA, and AAA cells. They have great capacity but are not able to deliver much current. Usually these cells are used for backup purposes for example for BIOSes in computers.
Another kind of Lithiumcells are the 3V types. They are used when it comes to higher current demand (in photos, flashers, surefires
grin.gif
, etc..). They only have 3V nominal voltage, but can deliver great current. They can be easily bought as CR123 or DL123 or other types for photocameras, but if you look a little bit you can get them in standard cases also (manufactured from SAFT-Alcatel in France for the military). One commercial LED flashlight runs on these cells: The HDS Action Light (www.hdssystems.com if I remember right...).

Ok, if you want to match cells for own purposes, look at the page from the post above (data.energizer.com) where the measures are described. Or you can look at www.rs-components.com which has a good variety of batteries also with specs.

Hope, I could help you a little bit...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Its an European distributor, but you can get battery data easily (like diameter and length) as well as a good overview of the market