Get in the Holiday Spirit. Memorial Day Special Minimag mod (Updated)

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
This flashlight was just begging to be modified.

Here are some pics of them at my web site.

Memorial Day Special minimag modification.

Here is a photo that didin't make the cut for my web page.
memorial_stuffanimal.jpg

============== Updated 6/28/2002 =========
Just FYI. Those red white and blue Maglight Minimag 2AA flashlights are on a super special over at the Fry's Electronics Store at $4.90. I didn't notice how long the sale would be. No other Maglights were on sale. Just the one probably for the 4th.

I know this store is only in CA, but, some of you might be able to pick up on this great deal.
============== Updated 6/28/2002 =========

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, I like the patriotic theme idea; great for this holiday. the 4th of July, and others.

And for those that have never seen the regular Blue Luxeon in action, it almost looks like white light it gets so intense.

How hot does that badboy get; are gloves recommended?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda,

Since badboy is constant current regulated it is just the opposite of most converters. Most converters will start off running the flashlight dissipating the most heat when you start out. Not so with badboy, it gets warmer and warmer and.... It does get quite toasty near the 1 hour mode. I have to wave it around constantly when I'm doing my battery life testing. That's where I got my patriotic idea! That and the fact that I bought the minimag and had no idea what else to do with it.

It starts off getting warm. The warm feeling eventually stabilizes and near the tailcap is warm. Eventually the head area around 1HR is quite warm. Not so hot it will burn. You can still grab it and hold onto to it.

I like your Hydra XP4. Very nice!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
This flashlight was just begging to be modified.

Here are some pics of them at my web site.

Memorial Day Special minimag modification.

Here is a photo that didin't make the cut for my web page.
memorial_stuffanimal.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooooooooooh so very nice. I am starting to want a Mini Mag mod now! Do you start with a bare Luxeon star emitter, or with the /c, mounted on the sink. I'm thinking of cutting up a Luxeon so it will mount in one of my Mini Mag lights, and putting one of your fantastic regulators in it. I'll see if I can get a tail cap switch. I just want one for me, not for selling.

Good work dat2zip.

I like Lamda's XP4 too!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
More light! Brighter light!
grin.gif

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, the XP4 was one of those moments of "temporary insanity", something I just had to do........

dat2zip, what kind of light meter do you have? I'd like to get something to use also, but can't decide which one. Any recommendations welcome. Right now, I just watch temps with TPI laser and do "visual" comparisons for brightness. Sure would be nice to actually measure light levels during test too.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
lambda,

I was following the link in the electronics Forum that others were talking about it.

measuring light output.

I ended up buying an Extech 403125 for about $125.00. I'm have no idea what the readings mean. Well, I sorta do. At least I can tell if changing something the light is brighter or dimmer. Once you get past the floodlight stage, they all seem very bright!

Near the end of the post someone mentioned one for ???$35.00 that had all the features of the one I got. Don't know how good that one is.

I've got the crudest and battery less temperature meter (my hand). For more accurate measurements I switch to the high sensitivity model (my lips)
smile.gif

I've now done the minimag mod both ways. Cut an LS/O down to size or glue a bare emitter on a round aluminum disc. After several people posted to cut the aluminum instead of grinding it saved me tons of time. Maybe one of them was Lambda.

I'm so fond of all my mods, but, it's getting outta control. I might have to part with some of them and see if others can offer a nice home for them. (sniff).

You should try putting the orange red HD and a blue one in two 2d3c or two 3D direct drives models. Point both towards the ceiling and start making circles. What fun!@!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's has these on sale for $4.90. Most stores are out and I haven't been able to confirm how long the sale will run.

Good deal if you can get to a Fry's right away.

Fry's part number is 2589101
Item description is M2AAEH

You might want to call the local store to see if there is any stock.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
lambda,

I was following the link in the electronics Forum that others were talking about it.

measuring light output.

I ended up buying an Extech 403125 for about $125.00. I'm have no idea what the readings mean. Well, I sorta do. At least I can tell if changing something the light is brighter or dimmer. Once you get past the floodlight stage, they all seem very bright!

Near the end of the post someone mentioned one for ???$35.00 that had all the features of the one I got. Don't know how good that one is.
You should try putting the orange red HD and a blue one in two 2d3c or two 3D direct drives models. Point both towards the ceiling and start making circles. What fun!@!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only limiting thing about the $35. one (LX-101) is the LOW part of the lux range, but a really decent buy for Comparison purposes, at least.......

p.s.-I believe that Extech 403125 is the same great meter available as the LM-631 from Webtronics for only $84. right now. That's the one I want
cool.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are three modified USA versions of the minimag in the colors of the American flag.

Red White and Blue.

redwhiteblue.jpg

-WayneY

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the bay area. Went to the one in Sunnyvale, San Jose and Palo Alto. The one in Palo Alto had 121 in inventory when the sales person checked. (Now only 111).
grin.gif

Sunnyvale is totally out along with the one off of Brokaw road.

If you want to get the lights I'd highly recommend calling them to see which ones near you have stock. They are going fast.

Latest posts